The Wait List

Even after enrolling , I feel lucky to be admitted to D-field. It’s such a great school and I’m sure all new students there will have a good time.If Exeter had called a day later I might have already been enrolled in Deerfield. That would have been a predicament. Luckily, they called the day after.

2 Likes

You are most kind, but really, utilitarianism seemed a more relevant measure of justice than meritocracy. The process forced me to face myself: OK, I collected a lot of accolades for myself, but who gives a hoot at the end of the day? How many lives actually became better off by my birth? Silence… I could not name many. Not even my close friends. Not even my own brother. Me, myself, I… perhaps my parents (hope so) and my dog. This is what I meant when I said “By being forced to ask who I am, I actually discoverd what I am” - which was not pretty. It was a wake-up call for me. I am sure many appliicants had similar self-realizations, and I think applying was a great education by itself.

4 Likes

Our son applied to GRade 11 at Graton and is international (Canada). Could be they have reached an international quota.

The email seemed odd in the context of other emails we have received from them. Kind of like they were shutting down the WL for a pool.

Let me just say, I am sure that if you asked that question to all of the people that you have met, you would get more “yes” and “absolutely” answers than you would know what to do with. We have all learned more about ourselves through this process, some good, some bad and that is the way things are. Honestly, it feels like these schools were judging everything I had done up to my application, and through that we are forced to question every decision we have made. It was unnerving for every applicant, but these experiences are useful, not detrimental and we should allow ourselves to learn from them. Applying was certainly a short course on self-worth and the “real world.” However, let me say that in just 1 and half days on online exchanges, I can tell that silence would not be the response to

2 Likes

Don’t be too harsh on yourself. If you dig deeper, you will see that you have affected quite some people around you. Maybe this is the key takeaway you should have after the journey.

Preparing application materials and writing essays with her helped me see DD in a different way. I used to think she’s just an average girl, maybe just with a little better grades, a little stronger in a couple sports and bands, and a little more interest in different things. I got mad at her on many things that I thought she should have done better. When looking at all the things she’s done over the years on one piece of paper and all our essays that brought up old memories, I realized that I had a special girl. I never had a holistic view of her. She has done so much while I was focusing on the things she “should have “ done. Regardless of the admission results, I now have a better idea of who she really is, and she does too. This will no doubt help her, and I as a parent, find the path forward.

Don’t overestimate yourself but don’t underestimate either. You are a very strong candidate. We all root for you.

5 Likes

You’re missing the point: violinists are a dime a dozen. There is never a shortage of violinists, but in order to have a full orchestra you need other instruments. Think viola, cello, string bass…

That is why @Dreamer2007 mentioned the tuba. Clarinets, flutes, trumpets - dime a dozen. Not so many accomplished tuba players - so the tuba player applicant will make a bigger impression.

I’m not suggesting choosing the harpsichord or glass harmonica - that’s just unusual, not necessarily needed. There’s a place where they’ll be appreciated, but not a lot of places where they’ll be highly desired.

3 Likes

Thanks for the insight. I play guitar so while that make sense, I’m not well versed in the arts of orchestra/ensemble. Maybe the cello, I quite like that instrument.

1 Like

Exactly. Find something you like, is needed, but few people doing it.

Showing initiative is also important. Anyone can volunteer at a food bank, or participate in a food drive. But if you see a need in your community, and find a way to address it, and follow through - that shows leadership.

Discover - Connect - Take Action.

1 Like

I know of a few instances of L’ville going to the day student waitlist before A10.

3 Likes

string bass is great for prep schools, college, anything

So A10 is the date to accept. Fine. But, when does the significant payment have to be made?

I say this because my experience (In Canadian schools) is parents will hoard spots at multiple schools UNTIL they are forced to make a significant outlay irregardless of decision day.

1 Like

If I recall, A10 was the date to accept and make a 10% (or so) deposit with the next larger payment due in June/July.

4 Likes

I asked the same question in another post somewhere.

Just looked on Lawrenceville’s page and it says first payment is due on or before 7/1.

Same thing at our local day schools but our deposits are often $1k or even if they are 10%, it’s of $25k tuition and not $60k. I’m sure there are plenty of parents with the means and desire to do it though.

St. George’s School is fully enrolled and will not be going to the waitlist.

1 Like

10% deposit is due today at most schools. So it depends if you consider $5k significant.

I can see parents holding out on a waitlist and forego one 10% deposit at say $6500 a pop?

Putting up money for 2 deposits or let’s say $13k? Idk I don’t see that happening down here. Why? What’s the need for two backups?

I was told today that they will not be going to their WL for awhile, if at all. In the coming weeks they will email WL kids to ask if they want to remain on the WL through spring and summer.

1 Like

Yes 10% due today and bigger payment in June/July, but more importantly for the commitment piece – you legally commit to full tuition in June/July, regardless of size of payment made that date.

So A10: if you change your mind, you are out 10%.
July 1: if you change your mind, you legally owe a year of tuition.

(At least that is my understanding/experience.)

2 Likes

Many schools are not 10% but rather $1k or $2k, making it less painful to keep the options.