The Wait List

Whatever the deposit % it usually is calculated on your share after (if) receiving FA. That was our experience last year.

1 Like

Nope, they admit more students than they can take, they expect a realistic yield rate.

1 Like

It’s dated 2017-18, but let’s hope they didn’t disband.

Oh yeah
 I hope not.

1 Like

idk if this is worth writing about but I noticed that the part where it tells you your admission decision has disappeared from the portal

Right. I downloaded the pdf though so it’s not much of a difference

From my school(a private school in Princeton), they accepted 4 people, and waitlisted around 10-15.(our grade has 80-90 total students.) i know one student who was accepted is going to Exeter instead, opening up a spot. my friend, who has very similar ecs to me, was accepted. is there any chance that I get accepted later on or is there no way to tell?

What school are you referring to that 4 people got in?

Do you go to Princeton Day?

yes, Princeton day school

1 Like

There is no way to tell but it is highly unlikely. They over accept by a few spots, and their day yield is very high.

Good point - I also agree that coaches will not demand 2 first basemen to the admissions. Still, the following 2 assumptions are not just possible but quite plausible:

1. These candidates are not just first basemen. They may be “gifted scores + saintly recomms + first basemen (+ guitar + tuba
).” If we realize this simple fact, we understand why PA’s initial admission of 2 firstbasemen in my example is not at all unrealistic - i.e. not because baseball coach asked for 2 firstbasemen to the admissions but because the 2 candidates happened to meet multiple standards in the admissions’ eyes. After all, B in my example got admitted to all 3; this first baseman must be a super achiever
 or a tuba player.

2. Coaches may not demand, but admissions would nevertheless check if complete teams can be formed as a matter of bottom-line analysis, so as not to waste the talents of other positions. If a contingency happens to threaten this (e.g. receiving “no thanks” from B), admissions will promptly act to fill this hole (e.g. asking A on the waitlist) as a matter of priority.

Further to add, baseball and football are quite uniquely position-specific, I think. In basketball, a tall power-forward can reasonably play the center (Tim Duncan?). In soccer, players are encouraged to play every other position (total soccer) except the goalie, for every striker forms the first line of defense.

I may be overthinking, but much complexity seems to exist in the admissions’ mind for sure. Previously I had no idea about this. This has been quite an education for me - in Korea, we simply submit our scores and grades and that’s it! What fascinates about America is that I never cease finding its ironies: the king of industrial automization happens to have the most personalized and detailed human selection processes - references, interviews, essays, etc.

I really don’t know much about how Lawrenceville works but we haven’t gotten any information at all from them about their WL. Have you? Has anyone heard if Lawrenceville is tapping their lists for boarders?

1 Like

Haha, fair point. I will say that culturally individualism has always been a pretty American value. Ability for success depends just as much on personal factors as it does on standardized measures of ability.

Having briefly lived in China, I’ll also add that the high population and academic focus of many places in Asia makes it difficult to personalize application processes, and there is enough uniformity of school curriculum/standards across a country to evaluate applicants solely on grades/tests.

In the US education is broken down by state standards, county standards, and huge disparities in funding. All of those factors lend us more towards a holistic approach for school admission, from high school to grad school.

And we have steadily moved away from being the industrial capital of the world :wink:. Service jobs are taking over, and a good education is becoming more and more important.

4 Likes

One student leaving does not open up a spot, schools accept more than they can take as they expect some yield.

2 Likes

This is a very plausible theory IMO.

I don’t think it works like that where coaches demand someone to get in. I think it’s more of coaches will put in letters of support in the candidate’s file but judging by experience here, that doesn’t guarantee admissions. Exeter’s rowing coach reached out to me because the admissions office gave them a heads up that I did rowing and after we talked a little about my experience and others, he said he would write a letter of support for my file. Still got waitlisted though so I don’t think it’s a guarantee

We are finally past A10. Hopefully some of you will get that very elusive phone call or e-mail. Good luck everyone! If you have any good news, do share!

6 Likes

Super salient. You are spot-on, and I will perhaps elaborate it further with what is happening in Korea. The chief problem of standardized tests is this: maxing out. Most well-made (i.e. making sense and grade-relevant) multiple-choice tests fail to distinguish the superlative from the excellent. However, instead of frankly acknowledging a tool’s clear limit and relying on diverse set of tools, the Korean system keeps raising the bar on the single test for college entrance (called “Suneung”), by making questions harder. The result is not a harder test but a random test - convoluted, vaque, even illogical.

(Case in point) I looked at the English language section on Suneung. In case you do not know, official language of Korea is not English. So this should be like AP Spanish test equivalent, and, having attended an international school since PK, I thought it should be a breeze. Guess what? Its passages were taken from academic journals, and, without the context, there were too many variables to pick one correct answer. I wondered if the test maker understood the passages. I heard that every year objections are raised on the validity of the official answer, the test maker’s uniform response has been “We asked you to choose the best answer, not the correct one.” This YouTube hilariously points out why Korean students cannot just study for English but must study for “Suneung English” (a.k.a. the art of reading test maker’s mind).

(My point) Having an objective system (i.e. based soley on number metrics) is no guarantee for an objective result. It can actually get worse, for now we also have the pretense of objecyivity on top of the same randomness, silencing all challenges to their system’s fairness.

That’s very interesting information. I am unfamiliar with the Suneung test, but know quite a bit about China’s gaokao. They seem to be fairly similar. Another issue with this type of test is that it limits learning to memorization. Many students study for months/years to take the gaokao, and once they have their result completely forget most of the information. I had a friend who was able to memorize entire 1000 word English essays before we took a test, and would then transcribe it during the testing period. She learned this skill from the time she spend preparing for the zhongkao (the test you take in 9th grade to enter high school). Students were given many potential and past writing prompts, and pre-wrote their essays so that they would just have to regurgitate it on the actual exam day.

1 Like

I think it depends on sport, school and coach. Some coaches are conveniently on AO team (or have a spouse on AO team) and conduct interviews. I think those coaches have a lot of pull. “I’ll write a letter of support” and “I think we can find a spot for you” are different messages and signals as far as I can tell. Even if coaches signal to kid that they are “in” it does not mean anything until you have acceptance letter.

3 Likes