The Wait List

I also got 5, and I was able to eliminate quite a few off the bat, but I can see @Dreamer2007’s point, this is not what envisioned an English proficiency test being.

2 Likes

thanks

“Richard Feynman, the late Nobel Laureate in physics, was once asked by a Caltech faculty member to explain why spin one-half particles obey Fermi Dirac statistics. Rising to the challenge, he said, “I’ll prepare a freshman lecture on it.” But a few days later he told the faculty member, “You know, I couldn’t do it. I couldn’t reduce it to the freshman level. That means we really don’t understand it.”

“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius—and a lot of courage—to move in the opposite direction.” —E.F. Schumacher

"There are four steps to the Feynman Learning Technique, based on the method Richard Feynman originally used. We have adapted it slightly after reflecting on our own experiences using this process to learn. The steps are as follows:

Pretend to teach a concept you want to learn about to a student in the sixth grade.
Identify gaps in your explanation. Go back to the source material to better understand it.
Organize and simplify.
Transmit (optional). "

6 Likes

I know several kids waitlisted at Pingree. None have made it off as of yet. When did you learn that your son made it off?

Friday.

Brooks said they are fully enrolled as of April 10th.

I still have not seen any updates for 10th girls boarding, Choate, HKiss, Lville

Exeter fully enrolled btw

Exeter is fully enrolled; does anybody have anything on Deerfield?

Lawrenceville first payment due is Jun 1 if paying monthly and July 1 if paying in lump sum. I imagine 6/2 and 7/2 is when you may see movement off waitlist. 4/10 required a $3,000 deposit which is minimal in the grand scheme of $71k commitment. I suspect June and July is when availability will come to surface if not now.

1 Like

Deerfield as of this AM ‘At this time, we have no news to report. If we need to access our waitlist, we will certainly reach out to potential families.’. Lawrence Academy responded they would be looking at numbers this week. Fingers crossed - good luck!

1 Like

Did Deerfield email that to all families or did you reach out first?

I emailed them and they responded.

I emailed on Friday and this was the response.

“If we need to access our waitlist, we will reach out next week.”

Thanks.

Thank you that’s helpful!

Which school @njscholor1129?

Deerfield

There was a former IMO Gold Medalist from Romania who as a math grad student in the US was tasked with teaching a course in Trigonometry.

Two weeks into the semester he came up to the professor that was overseeing the graduate student instructors and said, “I’ve covered all the topics on the syllabus. What should I do next with the students?” :joy: :rofl: :joy:

(He gave some of his friends copies of Feynman’s autobiographical books as Christmas gifts.)

1 Like

In reality this is an “old boys” type school and got the impression the tone is set at the top. In other words, they have enough FP that they don’t care. Right now the demand is way above supply.