The Wait List

If it truly is your first choice, then yes I would definitely add that comment along with a line or two explaining why, and send new accomplishments in a separate letter unless they are very significant and can be summed up in a few words.

Let’s put the WL into perspective (one more time).

The size of any WL is immaterial. It is there for the school to fill the profile gaps left by admittees who choose not to matriculate. How many will come off a WL in any given year only someone from admissions at the given school could tell you, but even the school won’t have any idea until after all decisions are in on A10 and up to the start of the school year. In any case, the number will be very low and, some years, schools finds themselves over-enrolled and don’t use their WLs at all. Also, as I’ve posted before, one person choosing not to matriculate does not necessarily equal one person coming off the WL. For example, based on historic yield, if a school sends out 250 admit letters to fill its 200 spots, only after the 51st applicant chooses not to attend will the school find itself under-enrolled and need to go its WL. And, if a school finds itself over-enrolled (more admittees said “yes” than expected), the school will scramble for beds and will not use its WL even if the WL only has five applicants on it.

Even if you knew the exact number of people who came off a school’s WL every single year, that still would tell you nothing because you can’t know which profiles the school was trying to backfill. For example, if you are a domestic female applicant looking to board, and the school needs two more male day students and an international female, you would have zero chance for any of those three spots even though three applicants will come off the WL that year. See how this works? So, as we continue to pound the drum here, love the school that loves you and let the WLs go as chances of anyone coming off (at any school) are very slim.

I don’t post this to be harsh, but to clarify how the WL works and to remind everyone that all of these questions have been answered over and over and over again on this thread. I am sorry for all those who are disappointed right now, and I hope you have other choices which include a good local school option, but it’s time to move on. You can leave yourself on a WL if you wish, but you need to re-read post #1363 on page 91 while you make other plans.

Good luck, hugs, and best wishes to everyone wherever you land.

I wasn’t accepted into the independent schools I applied to (8), but I was wait listed at all of them. Should I be happy that I got no rejections and 8 wait lists, or sad I wasn’t fully accepted into any schools? I don’t want to get my hopes too high for coming off the wait list, but I also don’t want to turn my back on it just yet, as it’s only March 11th.

@ChoatieMom that’s a very concise and well presented summary of the situation. Kids who got WLd at the school they thought they really wanted but got into another—concentrate on the school that decided they just HAD to have you. Be thankful you have a school that saw the special in you. For those that only have WL hopes
go back to the Plan B post that was mentioned a few weeks ago
and formulate your plan B. If you get off of a WL, you’ve won the lottery. Hugs to all who are in that position. It’s not pleasant, to say the least.

@cardhastle I think there’s always the healthy amount of hope.

Typically you have to send back a form stating that you are interested in being placed on / remaining on the waitlist.

Hello all!

I hope your are doing Ok after rollercoaster of emotions from yesterday :)))

My daughter got accepted into one of her lower choice schools and waitlisted at other schools. Does anybody know how it works? If she gets accepted - will they call? write? update Ravenna website?

What are the chances? Does it usually happens after April 10th? And what do we do if we sign the documents from other school??

Ughhhhh

thank you. did that.

We got a nice FA from the school she got accepted to so I doubt other schools would be able to beat it. It’s just hard to see your kid so disappointed after all the hard work.

If you are willing to share the names of the schools concerned, then maybe some additional insight can be offered.

Hi, I applied to Choate and reapplied (I applied last year too) to Andover as a 10th grader. Last year, I applied to six schools and got waitlisted by four (including Andover) and rejected to two. This year, I got waitlisted to both Choate and Andover and I would be ecstatic to go to either of them, but I prefer Choate because it’s closer to home. Does anyone know how many new 10th graders matriculate for both schools and how many 10th grade applicants they accept? Thanks!

Good luck to everyone else on this thread. I know it sucks to be on the waitlist, seeing as this is my second time around, but just know that making the waitlist is already an achievement! Don’t give up hope :slight_smile:

got accepted into CSW and waitlisted at Rivers and Beaver ( I realize those are not top-prep schools but still :slight_smile: )
She really liked Rivers and seemed like her interview went extremely well so she was VERY surprised and disappointed.

Also got waitlisted at BBNS but not counting on that :slight_smile:

CSW = California School of Woodworking ???

Oh my God no

Cambridge School of Weston

sorry :))))

I just read about the Cambridge School of Weston on Wikipedia–so I am not a good resource. Seems interesting. Only 25% get financial aid. Mod system of 5 weeks each seems appealing.

Rivers & BBNS are great schools. Hopefully others with more knowledge than I will contribute their advice.

anyone who’s gotten off a wait list, please PM me

Here’s the Waitlist Drill:

If you receive a WL decision from your first choice school and an acceptance from another school- the steps are pretty simple:

1. Accept a place on the WL via email with Delivery and Read Receipts.

2. Schedule a Revisit Day and put the WL school OUT OF YOUR MIND for now. Go to Revisit Day and have a great time.

You’ll have one month for the WL to shakeout and to make a decision about the other school . If you want to go the distance with the WL school ( WITHOUT jeopardizing the other school ) you’ll have until A9. On A8 have your PARENT call the WL school and ask to speak to the DOA. Tell WL school that you have to act on an acceptance from another school before the deadline but you’d like to check WL status ( one last time ) before you do. If they tell you that they’re NOT going to the WL or they don’t expect much movement- thank them and have them remove your name from the WL.

It’s time to MOVE ON unless you choose to stay on the WL. If WL school miraculously does come through ( after A10 ) you’ll have to break your commitment with the other school and forfeit your deposit (which is NOT a mere bag of shells, by the way ) . Personally, I could never take this route because I’m way too frugal and like closure .

I’m also big on keeping commitments- but that’s just me. So- now we’re one or two days away from the deadline

1. Now that you’ve given the WL time to play out ( and you can walkaway and never wonder because you’ve seen it through to the end
 ) : Have your parent call the school ( you’ll be attending ) and tell them the deposit check is on it’s way via FedEx.

The End.

Now- if you’re handed all Waitlists without any acceptances - here’s basically what you need to know:

Unfortunately, all you can do is remain calm, guarded and optimistic. Out of the gate, I highly recommend that a WL student sends an email to the school(s) just as I outlined in Step One above. Then the waiting truly begins because the AOs are solely focused on accepted students and revisit days until A10. Yes, a waitlist parent can call an AO M10-A10 to echo what was said in their child’s WL email, or to get a WL status update, but just remember where the AO focus is ( as cruel as that sounds- sorry ), and remember that all interaction between you and the AO matters. IMHO- it’s better to be cool, upbeat and patient. Persistence ( aka stalking ) has worked out well according for some persistent parents, but it has also backfired miserably on many parents , too. Everyone operates differently and I’m not here to tell anyone what to do
 just do what feels best and works well for your family.

If I had to pick two days for a WL parent to call ( after the M10 student email accepting a place on the WL ) , I would pick the day after the last scheduled revisit day and A11- the day after contracts/ deposits are due
 but that’s just me. I think it’s perfectly fine to call anytime before or on A9, too. Just not A10
 because it’s absolutely nuts in all BS AO offices that day.

*** THIS IS IMPORTANT *** Before and after A10, you’ll hear about some WL movement here on CC. You’ll also see discouraging posts saying that your school has closed their WL. Please disregard those posts unless you’ve received the same letter, email, or you were told the same information over the phone by the AO.

Most schools send out some sort of notification to all families when they officially close their WL
 while some ( forgive me ) will leave you languishing in the desert forever

Also
 even though it’s pretty rare, some Waitlist movement will occur before school begins in late August/ early September. It’s also not uncommon for movement to happen in July, too 
 because that’s when the big money is due.

Life intervenes, plans change and spots at BSs do open up, but sadly it’s infrequent. That’s just the way it is.

The best WL advice I’ve heard during M10-A10 and beyond is to keep an open heart, keep doing all the things that make you happy, and keep moving. If you need to pause and vent there are plenty of veterans ( parents and students ) that are here for you
 many who have experienced exactly what you’re going though and could give much better WL advice than I can. So reach out if you need to - even if it’s for a lousy cyber hug.

I wish there was some upbeat way to end this post but there you have it.

All the best and good luck!

Congratulations to all of you who had the drive and passion to endure the rigors of applying to BS. You will succeed in life no matter what high school setting you reside in.

It’s been said many times on CC, but below I’ll put some numbers to it for those who just went through M10 and have WL offers. There is no harm in accepting a WL spot. But don’t dwell on it. Consider accepting the WL spot, then forget about the chances of getting in and if you win the proverbial lottery in April/May, super. You can contact the school and let them know how keen you are, especially if you have a particular talent that let’s you stand out (for example, you are a hockey goalie and you want the coach to know that if his/her goalie recruit doesn’t accept, you would like that spot), but otherwise, start making alternate plans.

The chances of getting off one particular WL is VERY low. Schools will draw between 0% and 5% off their waitlist. If a school’s anticipated vs. actual yield is low by 1%, they will draw 1% from their Waitlist. If it is low by as much as 5%, which is unlikely, they will draw 5% from the WL. In general we are talking about 0-25 kids coming off a Waitlist that likely numbers in the many hundreds. Your odds may be higher if a school needs to fill a very specific slot (athletic team, music, etc.) and you can fill that particular slot, otherwise the chances are very remote. Do not put your life on hold hoping for a lottery ticket in April/May.

Lawrenceville placed over 450 people on their Waitlist in 2016, from an applicant pool size of about 1,900. They offered 450 Waitlist spots and rejected 1100 applicants. One has to assume that most select schools have comparable sized Waitlists, adjusting for size of school and number of applications that school normally receives.

(Schools do not go to the Waitlist every time an admitted student declines to attend. The school has already factored these “declines” in their yield estimate, hence they offer acceptances to 25%-100% more students than they target to enrol in the Fall. Hotchkiss typically has a yield of around 50%, so they will offer double the spots they actually wish to fill ((100-50)/50). Andover has a yield of around 80% most years, so they will offer admission to around 25% more students than spots they have to fill ((100-80)/80)).

@PhotographerMom @ChoatieMom Your Wait List posts, and I reference in particular posts 1363 and 1365 on Page 91 of “The Wait List”, are among the best I have ever read on CC Prep. They aren’t just relevant to WLers but any family beginning the BS application process. Every family needs a backup plan. Thank you for your contributions.

@MtnTrailX . Thank you.

@PhotographerMom Cheers.