Things the kids will need that I have no idea about!

<p>Ok, I have just seen in another topic that someone is bringing a tuxedo! Will my son need a tux?? What for? I am planning on sending him with his suit, a sport jacket and dress slacks, ties, dress shirts, polo shirts and khakis. What else does he need? What do they usually wear every day? We are Yankees so I am not familiar with more southern styles. Reading all the stuff on this forum is really making me nervous!</p>

<p>The boys who are in Music Ensembles for their instruments need tuxes.</p>

<p>Perhaps some frat boys need tuxes, not sure.</p>

<p>But, definitely the music performers need tuxes for symphonies and ensemble performances.</p>

<p>You mean you had no idea southern males wore tuxedos to class every day? I’m shocked, shocked, I tell you! </p>

<p>Actually, I’m not sure my son even knows what a tuxedo is - you are sending yours with <em>exactly</em> what I am sending mine, and we are from Tennessee. My boy wears jeans, a t-shirt and button-down over-shirt, tails hanging out, every day for HS and I don’t see him changing much for college. <em>Maybe</em> he’ll wear shorts if it’s really hot.</p>

<p>Someone just posted on facebook that seniors have approximately 32 days of school left. I think my heart stopped beating for a moment. So much to do…and I don’t even know what most of it is yet! </p>

<p>(And yes…I think my S will need a tux for band, but that is something I can worry about later…right?)</p>

<p>Rest assured that the heat and humidity will encourage him to wear shorts within a week of arriving on campus. :)</p>

<p>Many majors require kids to “dress professionally” for presentations and/or mock interviews, etc.</p>

<p>So, professional clothes are needed. </p>

<p>Mostly kids just need shorts, pants, and weather appropriate tops and outerwear. For feet they need shoes, flip-flop, waterproof shoes, and girls wear boots.</p>

<p>Male students who are in any musical ensemble or performance group will definately need a tuxedo, young ladies in the same type of groups will also need the appropriate attire. Don’t forget dress shoes for buisness wear. There are shoes that are “tuxedo wear” but if you get a conservative black shoe, the young men can probably make do with that.
I suggest that tuxedos may go on sale right after prom season and that will give you enough time to have alterations completed. Also, you might want to purchase an extra white shirt and cufflinks if the shirts have french cuffs.</p>

<p>Rainboots! Outfit for Quidditch, Halloween, nerf gun, presents for roomies, breakfast-on-the-go snacks, alarm clock, and weather app for their phone.</p>

<p>What do they wear for Quidditch? Would a black robe or cape and a Gryffindor scarf work or is it more elaborate than that?</p>

<p>there are pics and a video of Quidditch on the Quad</p>

<p>[UA’s</a> Quidditch on the Quad grows in second year (photos, video) | al.com](<a href=“http://blog.al.com/tuscaloosa/2011/11/quidditch_on_the_quad_tuscaloo.html]UA’s”>UA's Quidditch on the Quad grows in second year (photos, video) - al.com)</p>

<p>And Bama Quidditch video on YouTube
<a href=“http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=alabama%20quidditch%20quad&source=web&cd=6&ved=0CCsQtwIwBQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DK2C2e6N6cho&ei=Zc6AT9SnO9GltweZneWYBg&usg=AFQjCNFP6I5pZbqBv5EyIETSqJYTNZirYw&sig2=JCEnSlRxFsjszwMDMVWpgg[/url]”>http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=alabama%20quidditch%20quad&source=web&cd=6&ved=0CCsQtwIwBQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DK2C2e6N6cho&ei=Zc6AT9SnO9GltweZneWYBg&usg=AFQjCNFP6I5pZbqBv5EyIETSqJYTNZirYw&sig2=JCEnSlRxFsjszwMDMVWpgg&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Oh and for professional wear, boys need the right belt as well as shoes/socks.</p>

<p>Cuttlefish: Just ordered the rain boots. What size nerfage? They’ve got mini to bazooka, it seems. Are these in-room or on campus engagements? Pocket size, backpack size? Sounds silly, but these would be great roommate gifts! I just want to be UA correct. :-)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>And not just for professional wear! Be sure to pack the white belt and white shoes if you aspire to the Full Cleveland look with your leisure suit at Halloween or '70s theme parties. As indispensable as a left-handed smoke shifter. ;)</p>

<p>Roommate gifts? At move in or for holidays?</p>

<p>It is not expected or necessary to give roomate gifts however I did get a chocolate cake with a message and a a gallon of milk for the fridge. The cake’s message was something like “Congratulations on your 1st day of college”, you get the idea. There were also plenty of paper plates, cups and utensils.</p>

<p>Send a working flashlight and basic emergency kit.</p>

<p>The roommate gifts can be at move-in and/or Christmas. For roommate gifts we gave houndstooth headbands. D received a cup with her name on it. Can’t remember the rest. Gifts really are not necessary but some folks like to give them. The chocolate cake and/or the pizza idea is super too.</p>

<p>My D has a small nerf gun that holds 4 “nerf bullets”. Others have the larger nerf guns. Apparently some boys have nerf swords!?!? She plays nerf wars at RCS on scheduled days. I am not sure who schedules them. Might be the “Zombies vs Humans” club. She has probably played about 3 times all year. So don’t worry, they will not be running rampant at all hours.</p>

<p>Small tackle box with screwdriver, wrench, hammer, flashlite, band aids, nyquil and duct tape</p>

<p>Its been 2 years, so far no tux necessary!</p>

<p>I think the roommate gift idea or providing a shared food item (like pizza or cake) is just a great ice-breaker for the roomies - especially if they don’t know each other. </p>

<p>My older son didn’t choose his roomies. He’s shy and just went potluck. The shared food on the dinette table was a nice “gathering item.” One of the roomies set up Guitar Hero in the living room (something my son had never played) and that bonded them all. lol </p>

<p>My younger son dormed with HS buddies, so we knew everyone before hand…even the parents.</p>

<p>S got great gift from family friend (survived 4 college kids). After checking with me about “his” preferred over the counter medicines (pain, cold, allergy …) she filled a small plastic container & lid with those items along with bandaids, chapstick, aloe and small office stuff - all those items they assume magically appear in the cabinets as needed. She even included a packet of ear plugs - if you’re sick you want quiet and sleep. </p>

<p>As other parents will attest, you do not want to get the late night “i’m sick” call and they have don’t have anything on hand. </p>

<p>Also NOTE: I believe in AL if they are under 19 they can’t buy some of it on their own.</p>

<p>A Backscratcher!</p>

<p>I swear my son asks me 3x a day to scratch his back - the Easter Bunny was kind enough to bring a wooden one - it’s not like he’s gonna find a girlfriend his first day of class… ;-)</p>