Things to do in Madison when you are under 21

<p>Hi everyone!</p>

<p>I know this might be a silly question. I'm 19 and I will be studying at UW Madison this year.</p>

<p>I am Brazilian and when you get 18 here in Brazil you can go anywhere and you can do anything, so I am a bit concerned about some restrictions since I am under 21.</p>

<p>What do underage people usually do at night in Madison? What is the best way to meet new people and make friends there?</p>

<p>If someone over 21 gives me a drink in a nightclub and we are caught, is it a big problem for us or are we just removed from the nightclub?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Most students will not be 21 until their 3rd year at UW so there are literally thousands of students on and around campus who can’t legally drink. You can’t legally enter the bars until you are of age- they check IDs. So being offered a drink in a nightclub won’t happen. Most nights you will not be partying- say Sunday to at least Wednesday night may be spent studying (remember why you are in college) and not leaving the dorm area for entertainment. </p>

<p>You can still hang out on State St and eat at many places. Living in Res Halls is a good way to meet other new students. They will have activities in the fall. There are plenty of clubs and other things to do without going to bars.</p>

<p>There will be opportunities to drink illegally but be careful- sometimes off campus parties can be raided. Being foreign I would not risk my visa status with anything illegal, including a fake ID- the extreme is that they could get nasty and deport you. There are plenty of nonalcoholic things to do.</p>

<p>Current students may disagree with me on the above but anyone with a visa has an extra problem if they do anything, however innocuous seeming, gets on their record.</p>

<p>Where will you be living? Is this temporary - (study abroad?) - or will you be at UW-Madison until you graduate?</p>

<p>(Welcome!)</p>

<p>I see from your other post that you are arriving in January and will be here for one year as an industrial engineering student through a government program.</p>

<p>Here is a link you may find useful:</p>

<p>[MFIS</a> - Madison Friends of International Students](<a href=“http://www.iss.wisc.edu/mfis/index.html]MFIS”>http://www.iss.wisc.edu/mfis/index.html)</p>

<p>Thanks for your answers! :slight_smile:
I asked about being offered a drink because I’ve read that I can enter in some places, but I just wouldn’t be permitted to drink.</p>

<p>Madison85, thank you for the link. I will be living at The Regent Apartments, another student housing and pretty close to Camp Randall.</p>

<p>Yes, some music and dance clubs do admit those over 18 but under 21 to enjoy the show but not drink. The Union and other places have live music and other shows with no age restrictions. And there are private parties.</p>

<p>I drove past The Regent last night after going to Greenbush Bakery for doughnuts at 11pm. It is also close to Rocky’s Pizza and Mickie’s Dairy Bar (love the pancakes, the scrambler and the ice cream shakes)!</p>