Thinking about transferring to Texas A&M

<p>Hi all,</p>

<p>I'm heavily considering transferring to Texas A&M for Fall 2012. I'm a second year student at UT Arlington. I had a few questions if you guys don't mind helping me out. I am a Biology major and I hope to get into the College of Science. I noticed that you have to have at least a 3.0 GPA in Chemistry classes. Is this required, or just recommended? Unfortunately, I do not meet the requirement. I have a 4.0 Biology GPA right now. Are there other options as to getting admitted into A&M? I've also sent an e-mail to the admissions office to try and get some tips.</p>

<p>Thanks a lot!</p>

<p>I noticed that your post has remained unanswered, cr7rooney. Most likely, that’s because nobody really knows the answer.</p>

<p>I’m an aggie parent. I personally know of a situation that’s a little bit like yours, but not entirely. A community college student that I know very well will be starting A&M next week, as a spring transfer. She will be entering as a science major (don’t want to be any more specific than that). She was taking community college classes all the way up until last month (Dec 2011). Like you, she was told that her acceptance would hinge on a 3.0 GPA in Chemistry. She learned of her acceptance in late October or early November, as she was finishing up her second level chem class at community college. Again, she was reminded, along with her acceptance, that she would need to maintain a 3.0 in Chemistry. Well, her final grade in Dec 2011 did NOT keep her at the 3.0 level. And nothing has happened so far! A&M has her transcripts. Her acceptance has not been rescinded. She’s not sure what her consequences will be, if any. Perhaps she’ll have to re-take that Chemistry class? (She got a C in the fall 2011 chem course, which brought down her Chem GPA.) Anyway, it seems that everything is going to be fine for her. (Like you, the rest of her stats are great.) But, her case is a little different than yours, since she’s a spring transfer, and you’ll be a fall transfer. The big difference is: she was taking classes all the way through the admissions process and all parties knew that her final grades would not be out before admissions decisions were made. As a fall transfer, unless you’re taking chemistry in summer school, your grades may well be final before A&M makes your admissions decision.</p>

<p>As I’ve suggested to our friend – why don’t you just call and ask the question? In her case, she’s a little afraid of the consequences … may not want to hear the answer. But in your case, they don’t even have a file on you yet. For you, there won’t be any negative consequences for asking the question!</p>

<p>I really appreciate your reply! I had some family issues my first year of college and it was my fault that I wasn’t more responsible about my grades. However, I’ve refocused and obtained a 4.0 throughout this year and intend to keep it that way through spring semester. Do they consider trends? I also considered applying as a Psychology major. I’m open to changing majors as Psychology was one of my choices when entering college. If I put Psychology as my second choice major, would that affect the way they would go about admittance? I should have a 3.25 GPA by the end of Spring 2012. Perhaps Psychology would be my best route if I want to attend Texas A&M.</p>

<p>I don’t know anything for certain, remember. I’m just the parent of an aggie. But I would guess that it could positively affect your admissions chances to have a second choice major that didn’t hinge on a chem gpa of 3.0. But that’s just a guess. Seriously, if I were you, I would just call somebody in the College of Science and ask the question about the 3.0 in chemistry. I wouldn’t give up a whole lifetime of what you think you really want to do (if biology is what you really want) just because of something written on a page. It could very well be that there’s a simple fix that will allow you to do biology, even if you don’t have the 3.0 in chemistry when you apply. Call the department or the college and ask them your question. Sometimes you have to be politely persistent to get what you want. It’s okay.</p>

<p>I’m really glad I came across this board! Thanks so much for all the positive information! As far as recommendation letters, would one suffice?</p>

<p>SimpleLife, could you PM me, please? I have some questions about another school experience you had. Thanks!</p>

<p>Sorry, cr7rooney. With my youngest kid off to college now, I’m no longer up on all the requirements (re: letters of rec and such). I am certain that A&M’s website will tell you exactly how many you are required to submit. If A&M requires ONE letter (you’ll need to do the reading on that), then you should definitely send AT LEAST one letter. If you work, contribute greatly to your employer and have a great reputation there, AND go to school, it can be helpful to send a letter of rec from your employer as well, even though A&M might ask for just one letter. If you have two profs in two different subject areas that know you well and REALLY like you at UT Arlington, then you should ask EACH of them to send a letter, even if A&M’s site requires just one letter. Likewise if there’s an extracurricular you’re in – if you’re a super-contributor in the extracurricular (music, sports, etc.), you might request a letter of rec from the head-coach/director of that organization. BUT, remember this: you DON’T want to overwhelm the admissions officers with all kinds of redundant letters that might waste their time. If they request just one letter, then send 2 or 3 MAXIMUM (total) and ONLY IF they can each say something different about you. If they request 2 letters on their website, send 3 MAXIMUM (total) and only send the 3rd IF it can say something different about you – a unique way that you contribute. Get it? In other words, you have to walk that fine line between selling yourself and not wasting the adcoms’ invaluable time. If the each of your recommenders can say something different and exceptional about you, there’s no harm in sending up to 3 letters. No more. Hope that helps! :)</p>

<p>Perfect, I’m thinking two will suffice. Thanks for all your effort into the responses, definitely further motivates me. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that this hard work pays off!</p>

<p>^Yeah, two sounds great. Best of luck to you! :)</p>

<p>I’m a transfer and I didn’t have to send any letters in.</p>