ThinkPad L540 for engineering?

<p>I know A&M already listed it's preferred models but they're out of my budget so would a thinkpad L540 be an appropriate substitute and be good for some casual gaming on the side?
These are the specs I was considering:
-Intel Core i5-4300M Processor (3MB Cache, up to 3.30GHz)-vPro
-Intel HD Graphics 4600
-8GB PC3-12800 DDR3L (2 DIMM)
-500GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
-6 Cell Li-Ion Cylindrical Battery 56.16Wh
-15.6" TFT HD (1366x768) LED Backlit Anti-Glare Display WWAN</p>

<p>Those specs seem to be right around on-par with the laptops Dwight Look recommends/requires; the problem is that this is the first year of the BYOD policy, and the department has yet to say anything about what the ‘punishment’ will be for not following along with said policy. I highly doubt it would be a direct problem with the professors themselves–if it works, it works. My only recommendation to you is that if you get the Thinkpad (depending on the price, it seems good to me), be cautious about what future rules could be added to the policy. I went with the Macbook myself in order to avoid the trouble.</p>

<p>Also, I had a problem with the policy regarding money myself–although it was steep, I found the price for my laptop to be a reasonable investment for my college education (considering I had the money anyway at the time), and I followed the department’s advice to add the charge to my recorded Cost of Attendance for this year. The problem I had was that the Financial Aid office refused to add it to my record, and said that they would only do it for people who were receiving aid from outside of A&M’s grants and scholarships (which I am only receiving). So I don’t know what good it would have done to have it added to my CoA, but I feel as if I was misled/confused about what it would have affected anyway.</p>

<p>Good luck with the computer!</p>