This board is AWESOME

<p>I just wanted to let you all know how much I appreciate all of the time you spend answering people’s questions and keeping everyone updated about happenings at UA. DD is 95% sure she will attend UA next year even though she won’t know a single person there. It is comforting to know that there are people out there willing to help if we have questions. We have visited the campus twice, and she absolutely loved it! They were definitely the most informative, friendliest, and welcoming visits we had on any of her campus tours. Even though I have only posted on here a few times, I have been reading the board for several months and have learned so much about UA from all of you. Thanks so much for taking the time to help others. You all are AWESOME!!!</p>

<p>Since your D won’t know anyone, I would strongly recommend that she participate in one of the early activities, such as: Alabama Action, Outdoor Action, or Camp 1831. Great ice-breakers and a great way to make immediate friends!</p>

<p>If you hate the heat, then don’t do Outdoor Action.</p>

<p>^^ I almost always agree with M2CK, but on this one I’m not going to. I wholeheartedly agree that your D would benefit from AA, OA, BBA or Camp 1831 if she’s not going through recruitment. However, my D, who went to Bama despising hot, humid weather (she’s since decided it’s OK), did Outdoor Action and loved it in spite of the heat. And the kids she knows who did Alabama Action also spent time working outside. They just didn’t get to jump in the river to cool off or go canoeing one day.</p>

<p>^^^^</p>

<p>:smile: </p>

<p>My D is still friends with the folks she met the very first day at AA! </p>

<p>@TNMomof1 This forum and the incredible parents and students who post here are what swayed me to UA. Ultimately, the school choice was DS’ decision, but we as parents would only permit X amount of student loans AFTER I learned so much from this community. I felt more connected to UA from this forum, then I did to some of the small LACs DS got into. It totally changed my opinions of big schools from “getting lost in the crown” to “more opportunities.”</p>

<p>UA wasn’t even on the radar for my D (or me) but this board swayed me…she needed a safety that wasn’t just our state universities…and i needed to know that we had one sure-bet from a financial standpoint (we’ll find out this month but i believe her stats will get her in tuition-free). Since then, i’ve become intrigued by tales of the campus…and depending on the news of this week from other colleges, we may be flying there Jan/Feb to learn more…</p>

<p>@Southern Hope – It is very much worth the visit regardless of news from other colleges. We were not one of those families that it sealed the deal, DS held out until the last possible minute to make a final decision, but the visit certainly decreased the number of school applications. Never, ever, thought our LAC loving family would have DS1 at a large university.</p>

<p>Raise your hand if you could have written the original post yourself</p>

<p>L-) =; :-h ^:)^ </p>

<p>:-h :-h :-h </p>

<p>Me three!! Love this board.</p>

<p>@mom2collegekids: DD will definitely try to do one of the camps and move in early so she can meet people before classes start. Do you know when/how to register? Are Honors College students notified when registration opens? I see it is first come, first served, so we want to get her registered as soon as possible. </p>

<p>TNmomof1: Last spring, the Honors Action registration opened around March 30 - April 1 I am pretty sure. There is plenty of space if your student registers in April/May. I know there were still spots open in late June for Alabama Action which is the largest of the three programs. Black Belt Action and Outdoor Action fill up more quickly since they are smaller programs, but if registration is done in April, you will be fine. (It seems like my son got an email in his Crimson mail when the program registration opened, but I do not recall for sure. I started checking the Honors College website every couple of days in late March. <a href=“Honors Action – honors.ua.edu | The University of Alabama”>http://honors.ua.edu/honors-action/&lt;/a&gt; )</p>

<p>FWIW: AA is not necessarily held entirely indoors. There can be outdoor projects too, so it can involve ‘hot’ activities, too.</p>

<p>For any student/family who are honors’ college eligible, it is very beneficial to visit campus (many OOS visit UA at this time and visit campus Fri/Sat with Saturday Capstone Scholars Day program).</p>

<p>DD always wanted to go to UA (we are in-state) but I made sure to take advantage of every opportunity to learn, and especially got great information each time.</p>

<p>Some Bama Bound families skip out during the 2nd day program of Bama Bound, but I found some of those later sessions very good - like the police dept presentation (they give one to students and one to parents in break out sessions). Some do choose to do the one day Bama Bound.</p>

<p>DD also wanted to ‘own the experience’, but over time when I find out stuff, she asks “how did you know that?” So I encourage parents to hang in and help facilitate information acquisition. DD doesn’t mind info from me now, esp as she knows I just am helping her. </p>

<p>Our experience was very similar to @Longhaul’s and, in fact, I contacted her offline very early in the search process for advice. She was VERY helpful and straightforward with me, and I am forever grateful! We are another LAC-loving family with a very happy kid at Bama. </p>

<p>We are from TN as well. DS went down for the SITE program after Junior year and met a few people (including one of his current roommates). He also did OA and loved it. It was nice getting to move in early and learn his way around campus. And of course, he is still friends with many of the people he met through OA. </p>

<p>Many recruiters and some alumni associations host meet and greet activities for students headed to Bama. DS attended a pizza party in the spring hosted by our recruiter. There was also a large send-off party in the spring but he missed that one as we were on vacation. </p>