This has probably been asked before but...

<p>If both of my parents were born and raised in Uganda but moved to America. Then I was born in America. And then they became citizens (if that matters). What do I check off on the common app? "US/African American" or "Africa". Because I wasn't born in Africa but I'm 100% Ugandan. I'm literally an African American...but I can't tell if that's just a PC term for black and I should check off Africa instead.</p>

<p>Anybody know what to do?</p>

<p>“African American” is and isn’t a PC term for black. “Black” is the universal term for all people of African descent regardless of where they’re from. Technically speaking, you can be black if you’re from the Caribbean, Brazil, the USA, England, what have you. “African American” is an American of African descent (and also a term for people too afraid of a possible backlash if they call someone black).</p>

<p>Since you were born and raised in the USA I’d go ahead and check the “African American” box - you really are in the purest sense, and it’s the least confusing option. :)</p>

<p>Awesome! The way you broke it down makes a ton of sense. Thanks :]</p>

<p>I also have a question about this. My whole family is Nigerian, but a majority of them are British-born. I was born in Britain as well, but moved to America at the age of four. I’m only a citizen because of my parents. Anyway, am I considered an African American? It’s weird because if you’re of African descent but are from somewhere like Europe you have no option really.</p>

<p>^ you’d be an african-american. usually, they also let u break down your ethnicity as in Africa vs. Carribean vs. African-American (slave ancestry/unknown/generic black lol)
so u’d check the little ‘african’ box.
hope that was helpful and good luck!</p>

<p>Wait what? lol so…if you’re telling him to check African, I should probably check African too? Lol this is soooooo complicated. Race isn’t even real :p</p>

<p>I’m gonna email the commonapp and then post the results here in a little while.</p>

<p>elbeeen, if i were you i would put down African b/c u r 100% African and so are your parents. US/African American is put down by blacks who’s ancestors came here because of slavery and hence their specific African origin is unknown (unless they pay someone to trace their roots back for them)… . I wanna do that one day - it would be nice.</p>

<p>sweet, thanks blackbanana !</p>

<p>ps - the commonapp people gave me a very vague response so i’ll probably just put Africa.</p>

<p>I just decided to check both, hopefully I can explain it all in my essay.</p>