This one baffles the mind!

<p>Everyone has the right to pursue higher education but I don’t get why California finds it more critical to provide financial aid to “undocumented” students" when kids of middle-class California taxpayers are ineligible for aid; and if they do attend college, many graduate burdened with debt. Meanwhile, classes in state colleges/universities are cut because the state is broke.</p>

<p>Write to your state legislator…</p>

<p>@Swak- I have been astounded by this decision as well. How on Earth is that fair? Why even bother becoming documented contributing American Citizens? This (in my opinion) just gives undocumented citizens in California another reason to remain illegal. Its hard to believe CA legislature prioritizes illegal aliens’ education over their own citizens…</p>

<p>In the state of California when you go to the store you pay taxes. When you buy fuel you pay taxes. When you buy clothing you pay taxes. You pay property tax, whether directly or through your rent. People who are “undocumented” may not be paying income tax, along with many who are documented, legal or natural born citizens. That’s correct, there are many people who are American citizens who do not pay income tax. So it is an incorrect argument to make that that “undocumented” individuals do not pay taxes and are not contributing. </p>

<p>Yes, the middle class is getting screwed, but you can’t blame it on “undocumented” students. I know plenty of families with multiple homes, cars, etc… who get financial aid. Why? Because they can afford to can hire accountants/lawyers to hide and shelter their assets. </p>

<p>Perhaps if there was tax reform which was fair for both individuals and corporations, where everyone paid their fair share, then everyone would be on a level playing field and those who truly needed financial assistance would be able to get it. Along with that, once you get the special interests out of the tax code then you can have comprehensive immigration reform because you can remove the economic enticements to hire illegal workers.</p>

<p>ParentUnit - I’m not debating whether illegal immigrants pay or do not pay taxes. The point I am trying to make is that our state is in financial crisis and have to drastically cut funding to the UCs/Cal State, and yet it is prioritizing aid to people who are in this country illegally. No one is blaming the “undocumented” students (hey, if I could get money that I don’t to pay back , I would take it). They are not the ones to set the policies. </p>

<p>Those who make the decision to prioritize aid to them over legal residents/citizens are the ones whose motivation I question. The state is essentially rewarding those who choose not to follow the law and is encouraging more illegal immigration by extending that benefit. That will only worsen the state’s financial situation, not make it better. How can people not see that?</p>

<p>For the record, I am an immigrant who followed the rules of law (which I respect) and waited in line to enter this country legally. And I pay my fair share of taxes which I am not complaining about. Whether I think taxpayers’ money is put to good use is another story…</p>

<p>@bluebayou - if I think writing to the state legislator would do much good, I would most certainly do so. LOL</p>

<p>I agree with Swak. By providing this substantial aid to illegals, you’re both rewarding undocumented immigrants and encouraging further illegal immigration- Why SHOULD they become legal if their education is being paid for? Its not a question of taxes. I find it extremely hard to believe that our government would prioritize the education of an illegal immigrant over their own citizens. If you want to be able to benefit from financial aid and the like, you should be a citizen of this country. End of story.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Perhaps that IS the point. :D</p>

<p>I hate to bring politics into this (which is why I am an Independent) but this is really all it is about - gaining favor of the fastest growing segment of the US population, winning votes from that group and holding on to POWER. </p>

<p>People are manipulated into believing that being against the Dream Act is taking a stance against immigration and being racist. Friends and family of the demographic group it is designed to favor are supposed to observe that the gov’t is taking good care of said friends and family (although it is essentially bankrupt), and the political party and individuals that bring in the measure are their heroes and they should pledge their loyalty and votes accordingly. </p>

<p>But those who are here legally (and can vote) should see that it is not going to help them. This state’s (and the country’s) future is being leveraged to destruction.</p>

<p>@ParentUnit, I may be wrong, but according to Proposition 13 passed in 1978, people pay low or even no property tax, limiting the amount of taxes the states can get to support the UCs.</p>

<p>

I think it is a question of incentives.</p>

<p>@Techhexium - I am all for lower property taxes. I also don’t mind paying taxes if they are spent wisely. Ah, there is the issue, our legislatures not spending our tax dollars efficiently. Oh back to Prop 13, voted in because property taxes were out of control and people were losing their homes not because they could not pay their mortgage, but because their property tax was going up so much they could not afford to pay taxes. However it was an over reaction to the issue and needs to be adjusted to have fair property taxes. Neighbors with identical homes should not be paying a difference of thousands of dollars on taxes just because of when they bought their home. A more fair system is needed.</p>

<p>Undocumented workers also pay income taxes.
[Illegal</a> Immigrants Pay Taxes – Illegal Immigrants Pay Taxes, Too, Says Immigration Policy Center](<a href=“http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/incometaxandtheirs/a/Illegal-Immigrants-Pay-Taxes-Too.htm]Illegal”>Ideas and Issues)</p>

<p>And, yes, everyone pays property taxes - if they own they pay it directly, if they rent, then it is part of the rent. Only people who have been living in their homes a long time pay low rates. People pay approx 1.1% of the purchase price of the house, and then it goes up no more than 3% a year.</p>

<p>Most undocumented students did not break the law by coming here - they were minors. Many of them might not even be aware of their status until it is time to apply to colleges. Consider it a meritocracy. They are no more taking a space or funding from you then the US born kid in your class who worked harder and got better grades.</p>

<p>I absolutely agree with the previous poster.</p>

<p>Also, I believe that immigrants, whether they are legal or not, contribute largely to the economy of this country so I don’t think it’s unfair for them to get financial aid. However, I do understand the frustration when an illegal immigrant gets priority over a US citizen/permanent resident with the same needs.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>That’s just it though, it is NOT a meritocracy. UC give bonus points for “first generation” students and students with low family income. All things equal, the low income/first generation kids gets priority over the kid who happens to have educated well employed parents.</p>

<p>So, you are saying it is okay for people to jump ahead of the line and disregard the law?! The kids themselves did not break the law but their parents did and by ignoring it, and (worse) rewarding the behavior, what kind of message are we sending to society? Hey, go ahead and break the law. You will not be penalized and your kids will be rewarded for your efforts. </p>

<p>There are millions of impoverished kids all over the world. Shouldn’t we invite all of them over to partake of American generosity? Better still, why don’t you send you money over to them instead of paying taxes? Why is that not okay?</p>

<p>I love to donate money to impoverished kids around the world. Seriously. They haven’t been as lucky as I have and were born in very poor countries, so I’m glad to share some of what I have with them.</p>

<p>I would do what I can to help the less fortunate but I’d take care of my own family first. I certainly wouldn’t mortgage my kids’ future to do it though. That’s essentially what our state is doing.</p>

<p>I see UC Berkeley is proud of meeting some of their goals:</p>

<p>[Contra</a> Costa Times Your Turn: UC Berkeley is now more public that it has ever been - ContraCostaTimes.com](<a href=“http://www.contracostatimes.com/news/ci_20225711/contra-costa-times-your-turn-uc-berkeley-is]Contra”>http://www.contracostatimes.com/news/ci_20225711/contra-costa-times-your-turn-uc-berkeley-is)</p>

<p>I’m particularly perplexed about the goal of achieving only 15% white male enrollment.</p>

<p>From the article:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>How on earth is that possible?</p>

<p>California experienced an immigration boom in the late 80s and early 90s and thus half the births at that time were to foreign-born mothers: [California’s</a> Future Population Growth May Be Less Than Expected, Study Finds (PPIC Press Release)](<a href=“http://www.ppic.org/main/pressrelease.asp?i=298]California’s”>California's Future Population Growth May Be Less Than Expected, Study Finds - Public Policy Institute of California)</p>

<p>Combine that with students who immigrated themselves some time before high school and 60% doesn’t seem so out of reach.</p>