Thoughts on aerospace engineering @ Cal Poly Pomona, Cal Poly Slo, UC Irvine, UC Davis, San Diego State?

Thoughts on aerospace engineering @ Cal Poly Pomona, Cal Poly Slo, UC Irvine, UC Davis, San Diego State?

3 Likes

It looks like your son was already admitted to SDSU, CalPoly Pomona, CSULB and SFSU. Is that correct?

yes. still waiting for SLO and the UCs

Is your question about which school has the best program or which school he is likely to get into? Has he ruled out CSULB and SFSU and is only considering SDSU and CPP now?

1 Like

All the schools listed are ABET accredited for Aerospace Engineering. You can look at the program curriculum for each school to determine if there are any electives/courses of particular interest at one school vs. the others. Is there something specific he is looking for in the Aerospace programs? Are costs a concern?

Has he visited all the campuses and does he have a preference currently?

1 Like

Here are some 4 year Aerospace program plans for each campus:

https://catalog.calpoly.edu/collegesandprograms/collegeofengineering/aerospaceengineering/bsaerospaceengineering/

https://catalogue.uci.edu/thehenrysamuelischoolofengineering/departmentofmechanicalandaerospaceengineering/aerospaceengineering_bs/#sampleprogramtext

He’s leaning toward CPP but still waiting for word on the UCs and SLO

1 Like

Thank you.

He’s visited SLO, Irvine and Davis. Leaning toward SLO or Pomona. Thank you.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the replies and information. My son is mainly interested in a school where he “can build things” as he put it. That’s why he’s leaning toward the Cal Polys but also open to other views on the other schools.

UC Davis just built a new engineering design center..

4 Likes

I know that the Cal Poly’s emphasize their “learn by doing” philosophy but the Engineering major programs do include hands on projects so not limited to these 2 schools. If he has not done a Engineering specific tour at any of the schools, I would try to request one just to see first hand all the options.

SDSU also has a newer Engineering building. Labs and Facilities | SDSU

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.