Thoughts on Elon Musk buying a stake in Twitter?

It is probably because you DIDN’T use hate speech that Elon booted you off. :rofl:

Check out the idiot currently known as “Ye” and his tweets in the last couple of days. Come on! Join the “fun” on “new” Twitter.

Anti-semitism and racism is what some are applauding the “new” Twitter for? Wowser!

In my own experience, I now have one “promoted” tweet for every 2-3 regular tweets in my timeline. It’s hard to miss and even harder to dismiss. If this is the new norm, I’ll find other ways to consume information about things I am interested since that is my primary use of twitter.

1 Like

You likely got flagged by an algorithm and the remaining content moderation staff is too busy to review your case. I also wouldn’t be surprised if algorithm changes were coded by exhausted developers and rolled out without normal QA and review.

But hey, your feedback is appreciated. Now pay $8. /s

1 Like

“Journalists who had never been warned or punished for breaking any Twitter rules have suddenly been suspended or banned from Twitter based on false accusations, they told HuffPost.”

Honestly the only thing surprising to me in this article is that people are actually getting banned due to complaints (even if the complaints are false and not investigated). I guess someone is still halfway minding the store at least.

1 Like

Well, at least Elon did the right thing in the case of “Ye”:

Giving credit where credit is due…

1 Like

Ye (Kanye West) is high enough profile to attract attention from the top on such matters… but Twitter’s greatly reduced staffing may have trouble keeping up with the heavy load of content moderation issues regarding less high profile users that it is being subjected to.

1 Like

More like Musk was forced to correct his mistake of letting Ye back onto the platform.

Musk posted “FAFO” presumably regarding Ye.

The irony is that Musk keeps "F-ing Around’ with Twitter, then “Finding Out” why Twitter had the policies it did in the first place. He’s reversed course more than a bouncing ball.

2 Likes

Holy guacamole:

Wowser, Elon, wowser.

6 Likes
1 Like

Feel free to have your favorite source of news, and share them if you want, but we are not going down the rabbit hole if debating which source is lying. Posts deleted

1 Like

Matt Taibbi is currently releasing what was happening behind the scenes at Twitter (on behalf of Musk) the last couple of years with regards to censorship.

https://mobile.twitter.com/mtaibbi/status/1598838956140789760

1 Like

Well that was underwhelming.

I think the biggest issue revealed was that Twitter did not have a very robust process for content moderation and it became very messy when public interest (political figures) intersected with their hacked materials policy… ie how do they handle nude photos of a presidential candidates son when those nude photos were obtained illegally?

Again, strong processes would make these sorts of things easier to handle (or at least understandable).

4 Likes

That seems to be the general consensus about this “bombshell”:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/02/tech/musk-twitter-hunter-biden/index.html

I’ve been on Twitter for over 10 yrs. I follow less than 50 accounts. I primarily use it to follow sports, rarely tweeting. I follow my teams, favorite athletes and a few sports writers.

Twitter made the Cubs run to their World Series victory in 2016 and the Blackhawks multiple Stanley Cup runs EXTREMELY(!) fun. In fact I originally only joined Twitter in an attempt to win “stuff” from my favorite sports teams and athletes. (And yes, I did win multiple autographed items.)

Anyway, over the yrs I started looking at “Chicago trending topics”, just to check out what was going on. Every morning there seemed to be K Pop fan items, which I found amusing. However there was also a noticeable rise in trending topics and tweets associated with those trending topics that were factually questionable and in my opinion more frequently disturbing in nature.

I agree with DadBodThor’s post:

There’s a really good, thought provoking book, How To Stand Up to a Dictator by Maria Ressa. I strongly encourage everyone to become aware of her firsthand experience message. She’s wonderful. Please take the time to either listen to her interview or read the transcript in the following link. It summarizes many of my feelings and concerns with Elon Musk and Twitter.

1 Like

Probably the process could be more formal, but there was internal debate between legal, policy and communications teams. I’d contrast that vs the current “process” which seems to be “whatever Elon feels like”. So I’m not sure why Musk would characterize robust internal debate on a controversial topic as a “bombshell” vs him ruling by fiat.

Oh and this gem, with Musk pointing to Taibbi’s tweets as evidence:
Musk tweeted Friday night, amid the Taibbi posts, that Twitter had acted “under orders from the government.”

Taibbi said in his series of tweets that “there is no evidence - that I’ve seen - of any government involvement in the laptop story.”

4 Likes

Yeah, I agree, it just shows that they didn’t really have it laid out ahead of time about what to do in this situation. But the way Musk hyped it up, I thought you’d see something like “Wow, this looks bad for Biden, we need to supress it”. Nope, just debate on how to interpret their hacked materials policy and what to do in this situation.

1 Like

And the government in 2020 wasn’t a Biden administration. Guess even ‘genuises’ can have difficulty with understanding time.

4 Likes

The general lack of understanding of the Constitution is disappointing, but predictable.

5 Likes
2 Likes