Thoughts on Elon Musk buying a stake in Twitter?

Define “daily US newspaper” for this purpose.

Regarding newspapers, many of them used to have comment capabilities on their news and opinion web pages. But apparently many stopped having that because they just became flame wars, so that trying to moderate them for civility meant deleting almost everything anyway.

2 Likes

not the Enquirer. At a minimum any daily printed paper. (That would include the NY Post.) This is low-hanging fruit that could be coded in a few hours.

I’ve hidden a few posts that referred directly to moderation, which is against the TOS all users agree to when they join CC. See #6. Terms of Service | College Confidential

Please feel free to direct any comments about moderation to @CC_Mike .

Meanwhile, my goal is to keep this thread from devolving into a debate. Several posts were flagged and it was clear they were heading in the wrong direction. When that happens, threads get shut down, or put on slow mode for extended periods of time, or spin out of control before a moderator has a chance to review them. We want to keep the thread going and ensure that people are able to have a civilized conversation without mudslinging.

Thanks for your cooperation in keeping the thread civilized.

Since Musk intends to take the company private, resulting in investors being cashed out, investors who had shares previously benefit from any short term premium that Musk pays over prior market price. Musk (not the current investors who will be cashed out) then gets any longer term gains, losses, and uncertainty.

Yep, I wish it wasn’t going private. I’d hold my shares. I think he’s going to make bank here. It’s a huge platform, has many eyeballs and isn’t that tough to monetize.
Have to find something else to invest in that’s as interesting short term and supports free speech. I like cutting edge tech so I’ll look there too.

1 Like

My D24’s take on it yesterday evening when asked if she’d heard about Elon Musk buying Twitter: "Yeah, so what? What’s the big deal?

1 Like

Someone probably does not need to have Elon Musk money to print a daily newspaper with whatever opinions they want, even if they are too unsavory for typical daily newspapers.

Of course, many daily newspaper articles and opinions are more than 280 characters long.

Yes, I followed your posts! You have some serious street cred now.

Any other stock tips? :smiley:

Things that make you go hmmm….
https://www.reuters.com/technology/funding-obscured-family-office-behind-musks-44-bln-twitter-buyout-2022-04-26/

1 Like

I love the privacy afforded by our 4th:
“The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated…”

1 Like

Umm, short Tesla. :grinning:

2 Likes

Not uncommon at all to have a small boutique firm running finances of anyone wealthy. They need and want personal attention. Can get a staff attuned to their needs and their financial dealings can more easily be kept confidential. Do you think someone as rich as Elon Musk should use a giant firm? Doubtful.
Most financial dealings are confidential. And you would definitely want the purchase info private until the deal is completed. There are tons of legal papers for acquisitions.

Shrouded in secrecy seems like a journalistic thing to get you to read the article and lays a bias before you being. I certainly hope my finances are “shrouded in secrecy” except for what I tell people.

2 Likes

At the very least, this can finally bring some much needed competitive pressure to social media. If Facebook loses subscribers to Twitter over censoring concerns, real or perceived, they’ll have to follow suit to retain their subscribers.

3 Likes

The so-called article makes me go hmmmmm. To paraphrase Gertrude Stein, ‘there is no there, there.’

As the article notes,

“It is not unusual to have a small group of people managing a family office, industry sources said…”

And, more importantly,

“There is no regulatory requirement for family offices to publicly disclose their assets or their key personnel…”

So what’s the point of the story?

Breaking News: “Billionaire prefers privacy in his financial dealings…”

4 Likes

Tesla might be a good short due to the general market weakness (Bill Gates’ advisors seem to think so), but I don’t short stocks. :slight_smile: Also, this:

And not doing too well today either: https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/tesla-is-on-pace-to-lose-100-billion-in-one-day-1.1757262

It looks like a lot of folks are concerned at how much Tesla stock is being used to finance the Twitter deal.

Article in today’s WSJ indicated taht Musk has to put up more cash as his portion (down payment?) and that some of that is being raised by putting up his TSLA stock for collateral, but he might have to sell some shares to close teh deal.

Not really. It will happen in the future, but today Tesla sells 76% of all electric vehicles. No other manufacturer even has 10% of the market.

Twitter doesn’t make money. See below for their losses each year. My 8 year old nephew could do a better job.

That’s the problem with the company

Please stay on topic.

By the way, Mr. Musk will need to comply with the EU’s new Digital Services Act, which has huge implications for content moderation for large SM platforms like Twitter. It’s likely to come into effect in 2024:

1 Like