Thoughts on freshman housing?

For those who do not get into the Honors College, does anyone have thoughts/comments/recommendations in regards to freshman housing? Pros/cons/anecdotes? Accepted FYE here.

A lot of FYE want Cary, because of its proximity to that end of campus. I have heard the rooms there are really small (“Cary closet”). You can pretty much walk form one end of campus to the other within about 15 minutes, though, so any dorm would work. Third street suites is a good location because it’s close to the Co-Rec, not too far from classes, and next door to the Amazon locker pickup place (S has been in honors last 2 years and we used that heavily). My S is a CS major, has been across the street from Lawson, but is no longer honors eligible and wants his privacy so he’s moving to First St Towers next year. Much farther away, but everything is still only 10-15 minutes max.

^ Thanks for the comments!

Are there any suite style dorms for freshman? Son actually missed the honors application date, so that is not an option.

When my D was at STEP camp back in 2012 they stayed in Cary Hall because of it’s proximity to the engineering buildings. That was a very HOT summer. At that time the portion of Cary they were staying in did not have AC. It’s not a huge issue most of the year but in late August and September it can be. She was in Shreve which was close to the Rec Center. Most of the dorms are a 10-15 minute walk to anywhere on campus. At the time it was the honors dorm but I know they have new dorms that fill that role.

I would be guessing about suites available for freshmen so the best thing to do would be to search under Purdue housing.

D is current FYE. She met her roommate soon after accepting through the Purdue FB page. They both meticulously researched each housing option and made their list of top 7. When completing the Housing contract each student lists 7 preferences and students have the ability to select their roommate. Each roommate selects the other student and they both have to have the same 7 housing options listed in their preferred order. It took a of preparation and time to research which dorms have AC, which are co-ed, centrally located, etc. Then when housing assignments were released they were dismayed to learn that they didn’t get any of their 7 choices! Some freshmen got assigned to off campus apartments rooming with older students. A lot of turmoil will result with housing. My D ended up in a dorm with no AC and girls only. But in the end it’s all working out and she loves Purdue.

^Thanks for the heads up!

What are the top 5 dorms

My S is a 1st yr CS major at Purdue and is in Harrison Hall. Initially you list your top 6-7 halls for your housing. He had Cary as last due to the possible no AC. I understand rooms are different sizes, no AC (AC rooms given to upperclassmen, etc.) He also applied for a learning community and when researching those, you can see where they are housed. He applied to 2 that interested him and ended up getting into the entrepeneurship community. I don’t know if their locations change but, this year, it was housed in Harrison Hall. This dorm along with a group of them are across campus. My S has a bike and uses it daily to get around. A lot of kids have bikes there. He filled out the basic housing form which has basic questions on habits, etc. and was matched with someone. His roommate, obviously, is in the same learning community but a different major and from Singapore. They get along great and it has worked out fine. Purdue allows lofting of beds and a company does it for a fee (maybe $125? don’t remember). You schedule this prior to going to school and I would suggest it for any of the dorms.