Thread for BS/MD BS/DO 2021-2022

rejected from honors, university scholars, and bsmd
-1560 sat (which i know barely even matters)
-Salutatorian (101ish weighted avg)
-10 Aps (all 5 except 1) and taking E&M this year
-Lots of community service + good ECs (some directly med related)
not looking too good

1 Like

Re: Case Western

I know I’m a little late chiming in on CWRU, but my older son is there (non-PPSP) and I can attest to the fact that there is a housing “crisis” over there. They allotted some of the housing for COVID isolation. And, they enrolled 250 more students than expected last year and were anticipating to do the same this year. How, you may ask? Well, they informed parents that junior and senior on-campus housing would not be guaranteed and most upper level students would have to find off-campus housing. This did not sit well with the parents because CWRU emphasizes that they guarantee housing for four years.
So, parents pushed back, administration caved, housing is secure for upperclassmen, but the end result is what everyone here is seeing.
My son (even with his older brother there) was waitlisted for UG, probably because he applied to PPSP. I suppose it doesn’t really matter since he’s found where he wants to go. But, it does bruise the ego a little.
Anyway, my point is that the housing is the actual problem, though I’m surprised that they waitlisted all of the (overqualified) candidates on this thread.
Good luck to all!

7 Likes

Thanks. Appreciate the insider perspective on BU.

1 Like

Suggestion - look at the total cost after scholarships for comparisons.

Again, being instate, if UCs are cheapest and closest, it may be okay to do the pre-med there.

1 Like

Invites are already out.
Interviews are from March 23 to March 25.

Funny thing with Stony Brook, my D has an interview on 23rd and she too got a reject email today. Seems like they sent to all applicants or maybe just messed up her notification. Will confirm tomorrow if interview still stands. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ooops!
I would suggest just showing up and giving the interview on 23rd as if the reject email never came.

1 Like

@NoviceDad
IMO, 25% of JHU students do not make it to medical school is great - in general, it’s the opposite - barely 20% or less make it to medical school. Nearly 8 of 10 students drop off premed track in the sophomore year itself. Attrition is highest at early stages (freshmen year) and levels off as students commit to the medical education track by taking more of the required courses.

Yes, waitlisted BS/Md. What about you?

The 25% number is post weed-out/ attrition.
These are the folks who survived all that and applied to medical school.
One in four of such students did not get a medical school admissions offer!

2 Likes

BTW - that number is similar to UPenn as well.

1 Like

Did they call you. How were you informed?did not receive any decision yet.

It’s on the portal. Did not receive any emails but it’s on the portal

1 Like

Logged into the portal. It only shows acceptance for UG. Where do you check for bs md

There was a bs md waitlist form under the bsmd supplemental form for me.

Maybe you will hear something this week

Same here

Same for my D. She is already set up for an interview with Stony Brook on 3/24, and she got a reject e-mail this afternoon. D will call in the morning to find out what is going on.

I recall FAU did something like this during last application cycle. They sent interview email to few those received their bsmd program’s “before interview” rejection emails.

Respectfully, I won’t say JHU (or other IVY like Cornell) does Grade deflation)\

I believe it’s “more competitive” in JHU (or these colleges) so it will be tough to stand up apart than in other colleges.

I believe i told this in an earlier thread…

Example : University of Washington medical school or Stanford or Harvard ( many talking heads , data or analysis from COVID came from here). So if u do an UG there , the chance of you topping UG at 4 GPA is very tough as you are competing with 100+ smart kids.

In real world, you can call this as Jack Welch (GE) Grading system… i.e 20-70-10 system (google) i.e. only 20 of 100 will get A+ so your competition is tough.
That’s the same problem with JHU or other IVYs or reputed schools if u want to do UG.

**But IMO, if you are in JHU , then they think you are good so you got to excel **

There are many threads (and google) but here is one too…
Grade Deflation at Schools like Johns Hopkins for different majors - Colleges and Universities A-Z / Johns Hopkins University - College Confidential Forums

One of our family friends son went to IVY (but he is in Wall street finance) and he said the same… it’s big lake and there are bigger fishes like you. LOL :slight_smile:

2 Likes