Thread for BS/MD BS/DO 2021-2022

yeah for sure, thanks for the insight, appreciate it!

1 Like

To clarify regarding gap year in the BU SMED program, not all students are taking this route. It might be a personal choice.

Looks like we are back to Traditional path vs BSMD discussion given that lot of decisions are out. I won’t be participating given that there is nothing new to add (and people tend to become advocates for whatever path their kids took without being objective), but look at the discussions we have last 3,4 cycles and couple of threads I created (including BSMD applicants experiences thread).

3 Likes

I met a kid last week who is at a 8 year program but taking a gap year (after MS3) to do research at an Ivy to go for surgical residency.

1 Like

Does Drexel come out April 1st or before then?

Both ways lead to the same destinations

Less than 1-2% (maybe 200-300 kids get BSMD out of 20000 doctors a year) follow BSMD and rest only flows through traditional.

Though my D (almost)decided BSMD, personally it’s kids/family comfortable/preferences/opportunities.

And yes @srk2017, I see lots of kids take a gap year (possible exhaustion or other) nowadays
 you got to feel "mentally prepared " also as it’s a tough journey

1 Like

Welcome back @srk2017
I have seen 3 traditional path students in the local community (1 last year, 2 this year) who got a successful residency match.
1 went to Warren Alpert Medical School (Brown) for residency from 93+ rank medical school - no gap year in MD.
1 went to a top 5 medical school for a competitive residency in CA from a top 20 medical school - took a gap year after M3.
1 went to FL hospital for a competitive surgery residency from top 10 medical school- no gap year in MD.

1 other person in DO route took a gap year after M2(or D2?). Will know about residency after 3 years.

I recall the above DO student took a gap year to manage the life-school balance, while other student took a gap year after M3 because of specialty choice. IMO, taking one year off to do research and get abstracts and publications can be very helpful if you are interested in competitive specialties like dermatology, neurosurgery, head and neck surgery, urology, etc. Some got into competitive residencies without Gap year too.

4 Likes

Again there is no one size that fits all but we keep hearing same sales pitch. Anyway, I am not getting into old arguments.

3 Likes

is BU req 510?

So true that situations could be as varied and as diversified. My daughter a few weeks ago just ditched Stanford summer research offer paying 3 times more when she got Johns Hopkins offer because JHU is better rated for her residency area of interest and will weigh better on her residency chances

1 Like

The summary here is that students make decisions based on what is best for them and their goals and there’s just not a one size fits all

2 Likes

Unfortunately in most of the cases ORM parents make the decisions.

1 Like

seems that way and I don’t understand why? I probably will have all the choices (pending few decisions), integrated and accelerated medical program, and Premed and will make a decision soon. I think it is quite important to talk to a lot of folks who have gone through these routes in making a determination.

May be fear of failure and medicine as a guaranteed income field?

what do you mean by this? Wouldn’t it be the students making the decisions (maybe some help from parents)

Got into Siena/AMC. Can anyone give their opinion on UMKC vs Siena/AMC? Thanks.

6 Likes

Are you instate for UMKC?

1 Like

IMO - Siena/AMC over UMKC. UMKC is a 6 yrs program and it is not possible for students to have holistic learning.

Some questions - What is the cost for each? Where are you located - closer to MO or NY?

1 Like

You see more parents than students here and parents seems to be strong advocates of BSMD than students.

Anyone received admission to RPI/AMC after under consideration email?