Thread for BS/MD BS/DO 2021-2022

Can you elaborate about Pitt GAP a bit? Do you know of any kids losing their seat due to the GPA requirements? Also I thought the GPA requirement was 3.7.

split the differenceā€¦

Students offered the guarantee must complete an undergraduate degree based on course work done at the Pittsburgh campus of the University of Pittsburgh within four years, complete the prerequisite course work, maintain a cumulative science and quality point average of at least 3.75, and engage in undergraduate research and extracurricular activities that provide greater knowledge of the science and practice of medicine. The MCAT will be required prior to matriculation to the medical school only for test-optional candidates entering Pitt as first-year guaranteed admits starting in 2021. However, the earned score will only be used for advising purposes following matriculation to medical school. The MCAT requirement does not apply to students admitted with SAT/ACT scores.

1 Like

I also wondered same, they have insane number of Derm matches this year.

1 Like

i posted abt this a few days ago but i got into the rutgers ba/md as well as brown recently. as someone looking to enter academic medicine, i hope to apply as md/phd if i go traditional route. do you think i could call rutgers and try to convince them to convert my guaranteed md seat into a md/phd? ofc no hurt in trying so i am going to call but im really hoping they accomodate this request

1 Like

Thank you @cheer2021 for your feedback. Like I mentioned in my early note, I am new to this site and even for medical field to understand some terminology. Can you please elaborate on residency matches, how do I go about reviewing it? My son is currently showing interest in Emergency medicine and also leaning towards cardio, can change.
what is DOPEN matches means?
ā€œjust residency match surgery alone PSU - 28, NJMS - 25, [CWRU] - 27 matches for different years (2021/2022). In terms of DOPEN matches, these choices are very close for the year 2020, for the year 2021 CASE has a lead (15.9%, NJMS 10.7%, PSU 9.9%).ā€

Thank you again

Below are the Case, Pitt , Rochester and BU 2022 Match list. One can find the trend but things can change in 8 years. Case and Pitt have some quality matches

(OFFICIAL - 2022 Match Lists | Student Doctor Network)
(OFFICIAL - 2022 Match Lists | Page 2 | Student Doctor Network)
(OFFICIAL - 2022 Match Lists | Page 5 | Student Doctor Network)
(OFFICIAL - 2022 Match Lists | Page 4 | Student Doctor Network)

1 Like

Cleveland Clinic comes under Case

CAse vs pitt

University hospital /Cleveland Clinic vs UPMC

But Pitt has more NIH funding than Case

Pitt Class size is smaller than Case for comaprison to number of matches

1 Like

Thank you. Very helpful.

Thank you for the help!

will i have a higher chance of being accepted off a waitlist for a bs/md at a university if i submit my deposit for the ug? and vice versa could accepting the initial ug offer restrict from being considered for the bs/md?

I am thinking from the admission officer pov. If on april 25th, there are two more openings in the program ( 2 kids backed out cuz they are going somewhere else), they rather choose someone who already has the deposit and know will be at the campus in the fall. They wouldnā€™t want to choose someone else from the waitlist who they havenā€™t heard from, and choosing them would increase the potential of them not filling in the seats for their program.

@Ram211
Here you goā€¦

Would love to connect with any students who will be going to the Brooklyn/ Downstate BA/ MD program! Please dm me!

Thank you very much.

2 Likes

I have learned a lot in this forum. Much are appreciated for sharing your experiences and visions from different perspectives.

Is there any possibllity for kids to pursue MD/PHD via BSMD path?

Thanks

1 Like

MD/PhD is a completely separate application process since the MD is being funded by the PhD part of research funding. It is not something you would just ease into when you start MD, you need to start a complete separate application and apply.

It is normally considered lot more rigorous or less rigorous based on who you ask. It is a little less rigorous for high MCAT/GPAs but more rigorous for research credentials which means people should have spent a lot of time doing research and presenting/writing papers that have been accepted for publication.

It also takes 8 years to complete and you are working on MD vs PhD on alternate years.

They are also considered separate admissions. Many schools ask you if you want to be considered only for MD and if the MD/PhD application is rejected, they refer you MD side for an interview. This is for brand new applicants so may not be applicable for BS/MD students.

1 Like

yes, a few do offer and some of these offer MD/PhD for free. Just check the details in the med school website. Some of the bsmd programs might have slightly different requirement. For example, even if they do not require MCAT for MD, they might require it for MD/PhD. For example - Look at Penn/Jeff and UPitt bsmd programs for details.
Ask your student to send a question specifically to his bsmd program admissions office to find out the answer.

Are there any cases of people you are aware of who moved from BS/MD to MD/PhD? Just curious how easy they make it since it might be internal in many cases and students are right there as opposed to have to apply from outside.

Harvard ( 75K)vs Sanford(45K)? I am from NY region, so Harvard is good location. . Do you suggest any other pros and cons for Pre med path . accecptance in Medicine etc?

I have seen you consistently say sanford. Are you referring to Samford or Stanford?

If it is Stanford, why didnā€™t you get the same financial package from Harvard?

1 Like