Thread for BS/MD BS/DO 2021-2022

Does anyone know if Case will host an Open House for their admitted PPSP students? My child hasn’t seen anything. She’s thinking they won’t since the information session pre-interview was pretty intensive already.

She’s having an extremely difficult time deciding between Case PPSP and Boston 7yr.

Case
Pros: no MCAT, scholarship, research (she hasn’t done any and would like to. From our tour of Case, it seems like opportunities are easily attainable).
Cons: location, required to volunteer and do clinical work (she’d probably still do this, but having a req. changes things).

Boston
Pros: location, literally was told no need to do anything she’s not interested in since she’s in already
Cons: costs (no scholarship), have to take MCAT, 80th percentile for MCAT,

We feel that Case is the better option - cost-wise, proximity (we’re in the Midwest and she can get to/from school without flying if needed), we think she’ll get more attention/mentorship at Case since it’s a much smaller school. But, location is important to her and she’ll be the one studying and living at the school for 7-8 years so we’re trying not to influence her decision.

Also, she’s a STEM girl n isn’t a fan of liberal arts classes, but says it won’t be a problem for her. I’m a bit worried about the HUB req. at Boston and their grade deflation.

Can anyone provide some info. in case we’re missing anything that would help her in making this decision?

Thank you.

2 Likes

Case.

You need better cons! Doing volunteer work and clinics is something that is needed to make you a better doctor.

3 Likes

I seldom post on this thread…but I fail to see how volunteering and clinical work are “cons” for someone who wants to be a doctor.

Re:location. Not sure why people are adverse to colleges in flyover country like Ohio. Case is a great school.

5 Likes

Valid points! But, it falls under the cons category when one school says don’t do anything at all and another school has requirements.

Same with MCAT. She doesn’t see taking it or getting in 80th percentile as an issue. It’s more so it’s required for one, but not the other.

And I apologize. These really are the only cons. Its such a hard decision because the cons aren’t really cons. I was hoping for insight as to anything that would make one school obv better than the other since this is what we’re going with.

She’s looked at match lists and I think trying to find USMLE scores. I think they might be similar.
She thinks she’d like to go into surgery.

In terms of overlooking states like Ohio. Unfortunately it’s because she didn’t like it when we visited. She wants to visit again to give it another chance though because we visited when the school was pretty empty.

MCAT is a deterrent and people who are nervous dont do too well on very long tests.

OTOH, any BS/MD program that does not require volunteer work and clinical work is not producing the most empathetic and human condition reading doctors. This is trait building over a long time that is most needed in physicians.

I advice this for all premeds when they ask what they must do. I dont think any MD programs should admit students without volunteer work on their resume. Clinical work is not easy to get and most premeds are begging for these experiences.

3 Likes

Congratulations on the 2 choices.
The good thing is that you will not go wrong with either.

Questions

• How much more expensive is BU even though it is a 7-year program?

7 years versus 8 years gives you the benefit of 1-year that could be used strategically—for example, taking a gap year before Fellowships to improve the odds of getting into high in-demand fellowships.
BU is grade deflated but manageable for BS/MD kids who remain focused.

Taking an MCAT with 80 percentile requirements is actually a blessing in disguise. The effort put into the MCAT helps in the first semester of medicine.

1 Like

Don’t discount the subjective feeling of the location.
Case has improved a lot. The new healthcare center and housing opposite it as well as the newer food options are much better than what it was before.

My niece many many moons ago let go of PPSP as she could not fathom spending 8 years in that “dark dead” environment.

Has anybody hear that Brown does not have much school spirit?
Open curriculum is surely a blessing but because of that they don’t see same people in the classes and hard to make friends?
Plus PLME kids are hardly together unlike other programs such as BU or Penn.

Congratulations to your D on her excellent BSMD admissions

In my opinion, Case PPSP is a no-brainer. Merit scholarship makes it even better. The cons/location would be ok. Boston won’t be so much better if she walks around alone at night. She should use common sense and be aware of the minus points of the location in the back of her mind. She should stick with some friends and not go alone in the dark/evenings - also Carry pepper spray!

3 Likes

Talk to @mom2boys1999’s DS.
He is at Brown.

Making friends - how does it matter the friends your child makes are studying PLME or not?
The key is that they make friends who will be there when they need them and are a force for their good.

1 Like

Rice/Baylor combination is very sought after since both Rice and Baylor are excellent. I am not sure anyone wants to give them their seat.

You should pay the deposit to another UG. You should confirm your interest on BSMD and send letter of continued interest to Rice/Baylor,

2 Likes

There are tons of long tests future and current doctors must take…and this seems like it never ends.

2 Likes

You mean residency not fellowship?

1 Like

No… I think he means taking a gap year before fellowship…because who would take a gap year right after completing medical school? They should immediately enter residency.

1 Like

I meant fellowships - I know of folks who took a gap year after IM residency to get into a Cardiology fellowship.
But it could be done before residency as well.

Take BU if interested in primary care only, otherwise pick Case. Competitive specialities require research and given your child has none, four years gives enough time.

1 Like

Competitive residencies and fellowships need research and you see gap year for residency more than fellowship.

The point is doing your BS/MD in 7 years gives you that 1-year that you could use strategically.

Of course, you could invest also that 1 year after 8 years of BS/MD.

I am looking for advise on how to approach HARVARD FINANCIAL AID to match Stanford package, as I see difference is @30K.

Any tips for negotiation is helpful as I never done financial package match in past. I need this asap to make decision. Thank you in advance.