Thread for BS/MD BS/DO 2021-2022

Thanks for your response

I do live in NJ so Rowan is definitely cheap but NSU is pretty affordable with scholarships so cost isnā€™t much of a factor and Iā€™m okay with the weather in both NJ and FL. I think Iā€™m leaning towards NSU when comparing undergrads.

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it!

Since it is a free ride, you can take your chances at USF. In one of the batches at a 7 year BS/MD I am familiar with, no one had an issue with the above score range (though the requirement was only 80% ile there back then). So shouldnā€™t be formidable, but check with them how many attempts one gets to clear that. Also if there is an interview, that it would be a formality.

@Shree4
IMO, if you are sure about medicine route, USF 7 yr BS/MD with NMF is best option off the choices you have. You have bird in hand, but with some conditions (GPA 3.7, MCAT 515+, and interview).
If you proceed with traditional route with UPitt or UNC, then you have same challenge to meet GPA, MCAT and face interviews + may need to take a gap year.
Itā€™s not just USF - few other FL public universities like FAU also offer rull ride to NMF students.
In the event student failed to matriculate to USF medical school (Morsani) then focus on getting GPA, ECs, LORs, and prepare to take a gap year just like any other traditional route student. USF UG degree might not be fancy, but if your goal is Medecine, then IMO UG prestages matter least, as studentā€™s application most likely will be tossed out, if GPA and MCAT threshold doesnā€™t meet the institutionā€™s threshold.
Morsani is in top 50 schools. A local known person went there for Surgery residency from a T5 MD school recently. In the traditional route, most applicants usually apply for 20-25 schools, hoping for few interviews, and pray GOD for at least one acceptance irrespective of rankings, thatā€™s the reality in most cases I have seen.
JMHO. Good luck.

3 Likes

Yes, there is an interview with 100 percent acceptance

My D also got full tuition for SLU. I did the COA for the total 8 years and it is not attractive comparing to a few other schools she got in (only financial aspect). Have you done your comparisons with other acceptances? Do it for the both BS and MD portions.

1 Like

Thank you @Somcpharm for sharing your perspectives.
Congratulations on your child for PLME.

Can you please also share some stats like GPA, Scores, and ECs your child did?

And also any financial awards, merit or need based, either for PLME or any others will be useful for future students.

1 Like

@gradedu

Yes overall COA may not be that appealing, but if you got free ride for undergrad, with a safety net of a guaranteed slot in med school (if you satisfy the requirements) then what do you have to lose? You can always try to ace the MCAT, gpa, ECs just as you would in traditional path, and are not obligated to stick with the program after undergrad by letting go the guarantee. You can perhaps even switch to state med school and save a bundle. If things donā€™t go as well as hoped for, you have the safety net anyway.

The other way around may not necessarily work out, i.e. if you go to regular undergrad with price breaks one may or may not make it to med school without gap years and/or advanced degree. Something to ponder over if you havenā€™t already made up mind or have committed.

1 Like

Go with Duke if not completely set on medicine and IF finances not a major concern. If finances are, then perhaps Ohio State.

Did you D decide which program she will do too u ha r interesting choices to pick from.

@rk2017 and @carmaruti,
Thank you for your suggestions. My D is not in the same situation as the other person. She already made up her mind on the program she will attend. She will post her result and reflections after her AP exams.

2 Likes

Thank you @nbaj123 for sharing your sonā€™s stats and perspectives.
Congratulations on FAU and wishing him the very best.

Requesting all applicants and parents to share your stats and perspectives in the RESULTS Thread:

Hofstra/Zucker SOM send invites to few lucky waitlisted candidates for BSMD. DM me or post here if you received invite. Good luck.

3 Likes

FYI - my nephew needs help deciding between Case PPSP and Stony Brook BS/MD. Both are 8 year programs.

IS/OOS: He is OOS for both.

COA: COA comes nearly the same (factoring scholarships), though Stony Brook is slightly higher but not to make a material impact on decision making.

School feel: He liked both schools but feels the new Healthcare Building at Case gives it a more modern feel.

As per advice of his counselor, he is scheduled to speak with existing students there.

Appreciate any inputs that can help his decision making.

Dudeperfect you can DM me for comparison.

Sen you DM

How are some of the kids able to complete EMT and take the exam. Isnā€™t the age to take the exam 18 years or does it vary by state. Asking for Texas.

1 Like