***Thread for BS/MD/DO 2022-2023***

@NoviceDad Thank you for the info. Where are you getting these 20% and 70% numbers as I have searched the Internet far and wide to see the demographic breakdown of PLME applicants and students and cannot find it? Can you please share your source?

What is the definition of top med schools? T10 or T25 or T50 ? Which BSMD programs then falls in this category ?

Can folks please share their experience with virtual shadowing? Are there any great virtual shadowing programs that you recommend? Much appreciated!

This is a great yet completely subjective question. For some folks, top means top 50 for others it means top 5. There are usually 13 or 14 med schools that claim to be in the top 10. I consider these to be the TOP medical schools. But really it is up to you and your student to consider what “top” means for y’all.

This has been a great forum to seek advice from many veterans who has been around here for many years. This is less of a forum to discuss BSMD vs traditional. So, I seek advice from all of you. By now, my daughter has been rejected from all TRUE BS/MD program. She is admitted to the following not so BSMD programs:

(1) Seton Hall Joint MD
(2) University of Toledo BACC2MD
(3) SLU Scholar of Medicine

My question to all of the veterans is if it is worth joining any of these programs. I know they are not BSMD and only guarantees an interview. I have also seen their past year stats as well as Grade/MCAT requirements for students matriculating to MD program’s which looks dicey.

Assuming, cost, geography and other factors are not in consideration, is it worth joining any of these programs (Main consideration is if student will be able to get into MD through these programs)

Question will be what alterative do we have ? The main alternative we have at this point is UNC Chapel Hill. Is it better to go to UNC Chapel Hill - BioMed (obviously they are top ranked university) and just try traditional path as opposed to these programs. We are in NJ.

Would really appreciate comments and advice from all the veterans. I am sure there are many others in similar boat !!

It is based on the information from the students in the program.

BTW, look at class profile of UPenn, Hopkins and they do have 30% Asian kids. Yes, traditional path is challenging but it’s also rewarding for the right candidates.

1 Like

I wouldn’t pay out of state tuition to UNC. What other UGs did she get?

These are pathway programs.
Not knowing anything else about your daughter, I would suggest you give SLU a more detailed consideration.

UPenn class is 35% Asian

Harvard
Entering MD students, 2022
MD applicants: 6,914
Admitted: 226 (3.3%)
MD entering 2022 (includes 14 MD-PhD students): 164
Men: 69 (42%)
Women: 92 (56%)
Different identity: 3 (>2%)
Underrepresented in medicine (Black or African American, Mexican American, Native American, Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander, other Hispanic): 33 (20%)
Asian: 77 (47%)

What more do we need :smiling_face:

3 Likes

She has been admitted to all typical undergraduate programs of BSMD schools:
Pitt, Penn State, Rutgers- Newark, Rutgers-NB, Drexel, RPI, VCU, Hofstra, VCU, UAB, Rochester, UConn, St Bonaventure, Rowan, Stony Brook

Non BSMD: Clemson, U of South Carolina, Northeastern, Purdue, Uni of Washington, UNC- Chapel Hill

T20, followed by T21-T50 and then rest. Within T20 some aim for T5 (UCSF, Hopkins, UPenn, Harvard and 5th is debatable)

Any scholarships from schools? I would either pick SLU or any mid tier UG with cost equivalent to your in-state fees but not UNC as OOS. Getting good GPA could be tough at UNC. State flagship public schools are GPA friendly.

I have some knowledge of SLU MedScholars program.

1. It only guarantees invitation for medschool application after 3-4 years if grades are maintained and MCAT comes in line with their expectations.
  2. Nearly 1/3 of MedScholars drop out due to stats after first year and downward trend continues.
  3. At the same timw, one of my friend’s daughter is doing residency is Yale after BS/MD route at SLU.
  4. Another friend’s daughter just finished 8 years and applying for residency.

Personally, I wanted my son to apply to make a decision later if we get admission. My son decided not to apply for MedScholars program.

3 Likes

How can they possibly know the percentage of applicants that were Asian?

Presidential or VP or other decent scholarships from RPI, VCU, Hofstra, UAB, UConn, St Bonaventure, Rowan, Stony Brook, Toledo, SLU, Seton Hall (these are 20-30k range), minor scholarship from Drexel. Also in-state tuition scholarship from Clemson and University of South Carolina…

Thank you so much. This leads me to think negatively (1/3rd drop out) about the SLU program

1 Like

A few years back when I had studied these stats for many medical schools, I had found <5 such schools. Stats may have changed in the last 2-3 years but proportion of such colleges is miniscule.

May be they got scared by Supreme Court :relaxed:

1 Like

Look at the GPA trends and then cost. I know GPA will be higher Pugh at RPI, Stoney Brook. I would pick decent private school with cost same as your instate school for premed.

1 Like