***Thread for BS/MD/DO 2022-2023***

Thank you!

Good to know your DS is thriving. Thanks for sharing his experience with the PLME. Its realy useful!

Totally understand that if PLME is a option, it is hard to pass even with the all your other options since your kid is getting the best of both worlds (Ivy UG + SOM) and easy graduation from UG to SOM is a cherry on the top. must be hard to pay med school tuition for older kid on top of PLME UG cost - but ultimately, worth it due to the ROI!

Good Luck to both your kids.

1 Like

What is BCPM?

Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Math. These are requirements for all medical schools and they calculate the GPA for these classes separately when you apply to medical schools since they have been considered more important as a knowledge base for entering medicineā€¦

If you have another child in medical school, they would have been usually referring to two GPAs unless both were closeā€¦ Many students take additional classes to make up for any Bs in science classes to improve their science GPA. Post Baccalaureate programs primarily exist to remediate science GPAs. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Oh ok. Yes they do need BCPM for PLME but only biology needs grade of B or better.
Chemistry, physics and math can all be P/F.
One can place out of math with AP calc bc score of 5.
Also, there are various biology courses that can meet PLME requirements.
There is only one semester of Chem, orgo and physics required (in comparison to elsewhere where 2 of each are required).

AAMC requirements are 1 year each with lab of Biology, Physics, inorganic chemistry and organic chemistry and recommended 1 to 2 classes of Math and one year of English. Biochemistry is recommended and Psychology is suggested mainly due to MCAT. In Texas we have an additional year of Biology with lab required.

The gigantic difference between PLME and every other BSMD is that at every other program they are trying to meet AAMC required classwork which is a lot more classes, Bs are considered really bad grades to meet the required GPAs which seem to have a low end of 3.4 but more likely 3.6, and a C or 2 most likely gets them kicked out of the program.

Definitely PLME is a top program if one can afford the cost. if the program encourage to apply out then a good percent of PLME will end up in T20 med schools as they get the cream out of high schools

Brown SOMā€™s match list is same as most of the T20 med school so one should not be hung up with itā€™s med school ranking. Again in the circles what we know it is one of the top programs with PItt, Case and Baylor.

2 Likes

It is important for all students to note the pre-med requirements of their specific school (to get LOR) and also ensure meet AAMC requirements as @texaspg indicated. There are 1 or 2 courses some times miss or more. But it is important to ensure students meet both requirements when ready to apply for MD.

4 Likes

Hello, I was notified of RPIā€™s bs/md acceptance early April, but recently I got off GWā€™s ba/md waitlist. Iā€™m not sure which one I should choose. Iā€™m more of a rural person but donā€™t know if I would regret choosing RPI because of potentially more opportunities at GW. Any thoughts?

I know several Indian Americans coming out of GW program in residencies who have done well for themselves and aware at least one who was AOA doing residency and fellowship at Ivies who went to BS/MD but BS at a different undergrad (I believe GW has other schools feeding them too). This is not to say everyone who goes there does well but just those I am aware of personally.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the insight! I also heard great things about the GW/GW program. So far, everyone I talked to recommended the GW program, but Iā€™m not sure if I would fare well in city life. I heard that GW and AMC are similar (GW has slightly better match results). To me, both choices seem great. Should I follow my heart or the community response?

1 Like

Cost difference? Follow your heart after visiting both. Check about SDN for more info about those two schools. X vs Y threads are very useful.

1 Like

Initially I leaned toward RPI/AMC because of the lower cost of attendance (42k at RPI, ~60k at GW). However, people we talked to didnā€™t really see cost as a huge issue.

Whatā€™s medical school cost difference?

Albany Med: 57k
GW: 66k

So overall difference is not that high. Do you have pros and cons for each school?

Check this

2 Likes

@Slippery_Seal -

GW SOM location is far superior to AMC location and ofcourse GW med school is supposed to have better reputation but RPI/AMC program overall is not inferior to GW/GW in any way, IMO.

It seems that for RPI/AMC total cost is 100K less than GW/GW
RPI rank is #51 and GW UG rank is #62
RPI is a go to engineering school in northeast. The BSMD program has a research focus (physician scientist program)
Troy is a pretty nice college town

Fyi, I would suggest that you come up with your own unique pros/cons (use the pros/cons from SDN that @srk2017 shared as an example)

I LOLed at the person who said I didnā€™t do a match analysis for 2021 and 2022 for UMKC. No offense taken, he/she is right though and I should get on that (and for 2023 too)! Although in my defense, itā€™s harder now for me to keep up with a much bigger family (a.k.a. married and kids) now, than I did when I first started on the forum in the early 2000s when I graduated, not to mention the posts/traffic inquiring about the program on the UMKC thread have died down compared to what it used to be (although I donā€™t know why that is).

I totally agree with @texaspg, with regards to the 6 year Bachelor/MD programs. Outside of UMKC (and thatā€™s mainly because the entire school was always based on a 6 year model to begin with in the original opening of the school in the 1970s, similar to medical schools in Asia and Europe), itā€™s very much fallen out of favor. Any traditional ā€œ4+4ā€ applicants we had at UMKC were to make up for attrition of the 6 year BA/MD students.

NEOUCOM (now NEOMED) no longer has a Bachelor/MD program, much less a 6 year Bachelor/MD program. Schools like University of Miami and Northwestern had 6 year Bachelor/MD programs which then became 7 years and now no longer exist. Penn State/Jeffersonā€™s 6 year program existed since the 1960s and has now become a 7 year program after the new MCAT in 2015 which added new subjects (I believe their students always took the MCAT). Boston Universityā€™s Bachelor/MD program used to be 6 years and is now a 7 year program: Seven-Year Liberal Arts/Medical Education Program Ā» Academics | Boston University. I believe Howard University, a HBCU university undergrad and HBCU medical school, is still a 6 year program: https://admission.howard.edu/sites/admission.howard.edu/files/2022-11/BSMD%202023%20Information%20Sheet_revNov2022.pdf

4 Likes