***Thread for BS/MD/DO 2022-2023***

@Mashed – Thanks for posting your stats, perspectives in the Results forum. Especially, thanks for sharing lessons learnt and tips in your “Somethings we learned” section for future students. This will be useful for future students.

Congratulations on your High School graduation and admission to Penn State PMM. Wish you the very best for your future!

1 Like

Hi all,

I’m currently a sophomore in HS and I’ve been lurking around for a while. PLME is my first choice, and I am asian, and struggling to build my profile. I feel like most of my profile is very common especially in programs such as PLME (literally asian male who wants to be a doctor who also plays piano among other things). Any advice on how to differentiate myself from other applicants? I’m not too sure what to focus on from here.

Tough to answer that without knowing further details but you don’t want to reveal too much here. Reach out thru DMs to those who are willing to help.

New medical school rankings (by someone)

Tier 1a: Your Desi/Asian/Jewish siblings and cousins no longer like you (Harvard, Hopkins, Penn, Stanford, UCSF)

Tier 1b: You frequently wonder if you’re at enough of a “target school” to exit into MBB consulting (e.g., UCLA, U Wash, Wash U, Vandy, NYU, Duke)

Tier 2: Your grandma is impressed, but brilliant fictional TV doctors never went to your med school (e.g., USC, OHSU, Colorado, Case, BU, UNC)

Tier 3: People with MBAs from a non-flagship state university are sure they’re smarter than you (e.g., UC Davis, U Missouri, Rush, Louisville, Hofstra, MUSC)

Tier 4: You make SDN/Reddit threads about how your school “doesn’t have a home ortho/ophtho/ENT/neurosurgery program”

Tier 5 (DO): People think you’re studying “podiatry or something like that”

Tier 6 (Brand New MD/DO): You make SDN/Reddit threads about how your cold-called neurology rotation just fell through and your school’s admins told you to beat it

Double celebration time at home this year. My son just found out that he got accepted into UoF Medical Honors Program. My daughter will be attending Penn State PMM. What a roller coaster of a ride it has been with both kids this year but glad that everything ended well.

For those of you who did not make it to any BS/MD program this year (my son did not two years ago), don’t lose hope as there are still many other opportunities out there. Good luck!!

5 Likes

What does Uof F medical honors program mean - do you get in middle of undergrad?

Double congratulations!!!

2 Likes

Congratulations :confetti_ball::tada: again BSMD is a very small percentage and shrinking every year. Use it as an experience and build up on it and you will have better success than most of the BSMD programs.

2 Likes

@Shanmuga20 - UoF medical Honors program is an excellent early assurance program. UoF is a great university. Congratulations to your DS as well as your DD and their proud parents :clap: :clap: . Please do add their stats and perspectives in the BD/MD RESULTS FOLDER for future students - it will be helpful!

For those more interested, here are the FAQs from the program

3 Likes

All 2023 high school grads, whether you choose BS/MD or UG/pre-med or BS/DO, please post your stats/perspective here (if you have not done so already) -

3 Likes

Congratulations Shanmuga20! Both programs are fantastic! UofF is one of the few universities where a student can apply as an undergrad and still be accepted into an accelerated BSMD.

1 Like

Yes one can apply during their sophomore year and transfer to UF if accepted.

7 Likes

Anyone get into St. Bonaventure’s LECOM program (4+4)?

Are there other such programs?

1 Like

Yes. Undergrad freshman students can also apply to UMKC’s 6 year BA-MD program. If accepted, the student will enter the same class as that current years’ high school graduating seniors. Thus in essence becoming a “7 year” program. Also sophomore students at Texas Tech can apply for early admission to the Texas Tech Medical School. If accepted, the student still needs to complete their junior and senior years of college, but do not have to take the MCATs. I believe other universities have similar, non-accelerated, early admissions to their home med school. With respect to UMKC, a freshman can be at any 4 year college and still be able to apply.

1 Like

There is someone on this thread who applied as a freshman at another school and got into UMKC this year.

There are two types of early assurance programs for undergrad students-

1. Those programs that allow only sophomores from their own college or a few select colleges to apply. Example: Tufts, Georgetown, University of Rochester

2. These programs accept students from all undergrad sophomores - University of Florida, Albany medical college, U Toledo, etc.

Note: you can easily do a google search and find these programs

New Parent here - someone pointed me to college confidential. Where should I begin?

Why does the title say BS/MD/DO? What is DO? is this the forum where parents discuss about pre-med and college applications?

@Lamdagamma

What kind of information are you looking for? I’m sure we can direct you to the correct area.

D.O. Are Doctors of Osteopathic Medicine.

This particular section discusses programs that are combined bachelors and either MD or DO schools…both programs that are highly competitive, admit students as they leave high school, and train doctors.

If you want some other kind of info…let us know…and we will redirect you! Lots of good areas!