***Thread for BS/MD/DO 2022-2023***

Thank you Thumper1
I am looking for guidance on medical programs after high school.
Is this the right forum to ask questions?

2 Likes

If you are a new applicant, please post your questions in the 2023-2024 thread. This thread is kept open so people involved in 2022-2023 can post updates.

Yes

Each cycle has its own thread. This is 2022-2023 cycle. The new cycle link is here

1 Like

Thank you Thumper1 and Kingsman115

Amazing. Congratulations!
Was your son in LECOM program at some point? I think I remember you sharing that he was accepted, but I am not sure if he ended up committing to it.

1 Like

He did not go to LECOM though he was accepted. He went to the state university for regular undergrad and applied for MHP.

1 Like

Got it. Congrats again!

3 Likes

Do you know any students who got in to NOVA BS-DO 7/8 year program and apply out with MD school? I would like to get some advise / tips for successful apply out from NOVA to any MD school. My DD admitted to 3+4 NOVA BS-DO program this year.
Appreciated if you can get my DD in touch with someone who did this.

There is no magical process that is specific to NOVA in applying out. The process is very similar for most applying out except for the rules in applying out. You have to perform way beyond what is expected of you at the combined program and then figure out which schools you would be competitive at for applying out.

Is she planning a 3/4 or 4/4? It is much harder to apply out in a 3/4 just because you need to plan before you enter.

I see that MCAT is required but only 502. An MD admission is not possible for ORMs at 510 or below and the current average is 514. The GPA is around 3.8.

In addition, one should have done some level of research, medically relevant volunteer activities and so on.

2 Likes

I canā€™t reveal their info. There is nothing different than other applicants as TexasPG said.

Dā€™s friend who was in 4+4 Nova BS-DO got into an in-state TX MD program this cycle. Sorry donā€™t have much information, just came to know about it. On the other hand, couple of Dā€™s friends who did not get into MD program (traditional applicants) are choosing Nova DO program.

1 Like

UT-Austin publishes their Pre-med student matriculation statistics (at their ā€œPre-Medical Pathway Health Professions Officeā€ site). This report gives lot of info on TMDSAS/AMCAS MD schools and UT studentsā€™ mcat/gpa range etc. Good info. Texas A&M also publishes such report, but not as detailed as UT. Just FYI.

1 Like

Here is a link for the statistics referred to above for University of Texas. Although it says 2019, the documents are for 2021. Some amazing MCAT numbers for the applicants. Very disappointing that they dont provide any race based stats or % of people missing out admissions at various combinations of MCAT and GPA.

2 Likes

Hey.

Iā€™m looking to apply to Sophie Davis. Can someone evaluate my resume and give me advice on what else l can do to boost it?

This would be a lot easier for those in the know to doā€¦if you posted your info here.

Hey there @Roentgen.

I know itā€™s late to ask this, but my because my family is struggling financially at the moment my kid is struggling to decide where to go in the fall. She was accepted to UMKC 6 year but were also provided a full ride scholarship to in-state college (university of Arizona) nearby. This scholarship also pays her additional money to attend and explore other interests

As we are out of state, the cost of umkc is very high and she will likely have to take out 400-500k in loans. She is considering pediatrics but is open to other things as well. We donā€™t know how to advise her as she is a first gen and are wondering if you could help speak from your own experiences: is the 400-500k in loans worth the guaranteed med acceptance?

Iā€™ve seen how much she struggled in high school as a first gen just to get into college and we didnā€™t even know how to advise her. We donā€™t want her to have to battle it all again with medical school, but she said UMKC also provides no breaks and limits students a lotā€¦

Any help would be extremely beneficial. Thank you.

Please donā€™t do this. If you know the struggles of being first generationā€¦just imagine the struggles of having $500,000 in debt. You are looking at payments that will exceed $6000 a month. That is hugeā€¦even for doctors.

3 Likes

Yes that is our concern, but she likes umkc docent program. But she is scared she will not get into medical school the regular way and is saying with the additional two or maybe even more years umkc provides she would have additional years of doctors salary to pay off the loans

Iā€™m sorryā€¦but I think itā€™s insane to strangle anyone with $500,000 in college and medical school loans. But thatā€™s my opinion!

3 Likes