***Thread for BS/MD/DO 2022-2023***

He means that you can’t assume they dont know the race and admission is race blind because application does not state race.

They have a name and zoom video gives them a face to infer race if they want to.

1 Like

IMO, it’s like normalizing ORM population for the overall 145 crowd for Baylor 1st year MD intake class, so that all other groups get their fair share. IMO, that’s a better thing to do than blaming poor diversity stats in BSMD intake and then canceling the BSMD programs.

2 Likes

Yes and no. They are not giving a fair chance to new applicants when they are prelimiting the allowed numbers to 10% of still open seats. Medical schools decide they are having a very poor interviewing and selection process if this is what is happening. Just because they prefilled all the ORMs during undergrad, now they are stuck with rejecting what might be some excellent incoming applicants from places like Harvard, Yale, Princeton and Stanford who are probably much better trained and present them with a true chance for diversity in terms of training and knowledgebase. ORMs coming out of these schools are especially available to the Northwesterns and BUs when their GPAs/MCATs are out of range for the T20 schools where they really want to go.

1 Like

Actually, Baylor only has 18 from BSMD (will have 6 fewer because Rice scrapped the RMS program), 6 from a URM undergrad EAP (Xavier). If the class size is 185 and they only have 145 true intake, then ~20 goes to JAMP (URM and low-income high performers). While most of Baylor BSMD students are ORMs, I think to dedicate 26-32 seats to race/socioeconomic diversity is plenty. When you add female diversity on top of that (perhaps not to the same extend), you are looking at 20-25% of the seats easily. I think part of the decision to abandon a BSMD program can be attributed to its outcomes (BSMD matriculants performing not to par with traditionally admitted peers or too many applying out/not meeting matriculation requirements). For the sake of public relation, the SOM looks better to redistribute guaranteed seats to boost diversity with an annoucement that makes the news than to manipulate the seats during admission because that process is not fully transparent (the same reason why we cannot find data ORM/URM data outside of races/ethnicities)

@junebug20 Those who interviewed at Baylor this year are being told Baylor is switching to a single year of classes from the current 3 semesters for their batch.

2 Likes

Folks

FYI -

Dr. Markle of PMM is retiring this year.

1 Like

Just want to add that the Nova Southeastern University’s Dual Admission program in Osteopathic Medicine fills half of its medical school seats with HS seniors. Undergrad program is very generous with merit scholarship. Students can choose to accelerate it to 3+4 or stay in a 4+4 track. The program allows students to apply out. Nova also has a new MD program.

2 Likes

makes sense…

Do you know the attrition rate for the NSU BS/DO program? I mean what percentage of students from the NSU BS/DO program if any, dont make it to the med school?
Someone asked me that question and I didnt know the answer to it hence was just wondering.

Curious too…
The program is non-binding. Some students drop out for not meeting the requirements while some choose to apply out and drop out when accepted to a different medical school.

(Speaking on behalf of my D and another student who I helped )

Not all students do BSMD just to finish in 3 years
IMO many choose as they are “clear” on what they want to be.

TBH… my D was “clear” she wants to have “real/enjoyable BS” and not want to hurry ( luckily she didn’t get any of those 3+4,2+4 we were OOS :slight_smile: so adds more difficulty).

As of now , with all her AP and other credentials, she (and other kid) may finish their BS for sure < 4 years (and may do something to fill in till her MD date start)

Again nothing wrong if “someone” is focused to finish faster, as long as you are not burned out (which can happen)… so it’s individual choce.

1 Like

Does anyone know how many people apply to RPI/AMC? And also, does anyone know which one of the AMC programs attracts the most applicants? Thank you!

I want to add that those who fail to meet the low GPA and MCAT requirements of 3.5 and 502, respectively, only have themselves to blame. The nearly-guaranteed seat lulls them into a false sense of security. The fact that there are people who qualify to apply out means that the program is not a low quality program. I know someone who took the MCAT spring sophomore year and got 515.

I am not saying it is low quality. I am curious and want to be informed about the attrition rate just like I want to know the attrition rate of all BS/MD programs.
So if anyone knows an approximate percentage attrition rate if you may have heard from past students or the program please post it here.

1 Like

@Park1212
You need to explore program by program to see if they published the attrition rate info for their BSMD program. Here is U of Toledo BACC2MD 2021 ENTERING CLASS PROFILE:
COLLEGE OF MEDICINE MATRICULATION STATISTICS
Freshman cohort year: 2017
Incoming cohort total: 32
Interviewed: 17
Accepted to the College of Medicine and Life Sciences for 2021 (59% of interviewees): 10

Interestingly for BACC2MD 2021 ENTERING CLASS PROFILE is showing 73 students in the incoming class. That’s more than double when compared to 2017 stats.

3 Likes

They do not share that information.

No program publishes or discloses attrition rate generally.
That is why I said… you get to know from past students. You know the cohort size and you know how many matriculate to med school and it gives you some idea. I just found put from some people that there is an approximate attrition rate of 20 - 25% for NSU BSDO program.
Quite a few students are unable to meet the MCAT 502 requirement and/or 125 section minimum according to my source.

1 Like

My best guesstimate is about 1200-1500 students apply to RPI/AMC.
AMC will interview about 60-80 students to select 15.

No data on which feeder school gets fewer applicants.
Choose the one where you will be comfortable spending 3 or 4 years of your life.

1 Like

Agree with your approach to finding the attrition rate.
I have a word out to a current student in the program.
I will see if and with what he responds.

How many years of Second Language is needed to apply to BSMD? Do we need to take second language for all 4 years of High School to make the application strong compared to other applicants?