***Thread For BS/MD/DO 2023-2024 Applicants/Parents ***

Fixed the typos

1 Like
2 Likes

On another note, users need to refrain from posting asking for suggestions for consultants. It’s not the purpose of this site to provide such recommendations and any requests will be deleted.

1 Like

If you are choosing between the 2 and aiming for BS/MD, yes. Most schools require you to take 3-4 years of history/geography and so you might still need to take some history classes for graduation (my kids needed to take either world or european plus US).

Being interested in CS is a good thing for medicine. Many students write statistics analysis programs using python or other tools to analyze medical data in college or even medical school to have some papers in their name. Most researchers are not programmers and they are happy to see someone show up in their lab willing to write programs.

4 Likes

Yes I understand for med school it does not matter much . Am just asking for direct med programs other Bio chem physics math what are the APs that are looked at favorably

1 Like

I hear many people say the HS courses need to have balance stem and humanity/social science classes. For med school, English reading and writing are highly valued.
It is recommended and proved to take all rigorous non-stem APs, such as AP Lang, AP Lit, AP WH/Euro H, AP USH, etc.

1 Like

So I will summarize another thought process:

It does not matter what APs you have.
However take a few sciences and a few non STEM/non Science APs.

The way to choose one is first to see in which class you have a chance of getting a 4.0 GPA… that is A or A+. If You find out from your seniors that a particular Teacher is hard and does not grade properly You may Want To avoid that Regardless of the subject.

Secondly you should see what Subject interests you.

And another factor is you should have some fine arts or humanities credits like psychology fine arts art hist or sociology. This will give you AP credits in fine arts if the college gives that. Half of the BSMD programs gives you lots of AP credits so you don’t have to worry about fine arts or art history or such subjects in your college and maintain a good gpa.

There can be many other factors that you can take into consideration based on your criteria but the above factors will help you a balance of subjects as well as maintaining a good GPA

3 Likes

It depends on what other courses you have taken.
Balance is important, and colleges do expect 4 years of social sciences.

3 Likes

For direct med programs, especially accelerated programs - I would recommend you to take the toughest STEM courses your high school offers and get maximum scores possible. This will help you with getting waivers for intro level STEM courses in college and directly take higher level courses in UG. Ultimately, If you do well in UG with stronger STEM courses , you will be better prepared for med school.

What others have previously mentioned is also true! So, choose a option that best fits you…

3 Likes

There is only so much u can do so trying to understand what to prioritize.

2 Likes

23-24 applicant here targeting for any feasible BS/MD and few undergrads with pre med path. Weighted GPA 4.2 :frowning: from highly competitive STEM school, strong on wet lab and computational research with at least one in path for publication, strong on volunteering with gold awards and hospital volunteering/shadowing, have one C+ in CS but A in advanced CS :(, SAT 1570, possible NMSC semi finalist.
Any thoughts on if BS/MD any college as feasible?

Any suggestions on a possible BLS certification if it will be a good add to the profile? I am looking into BLS CPR OSHA type certifications to be done quickly in interest of adding more to the medical interest profile.

Any other suggestions for this profile pls advice. Might likely be able to get good recommendations although the CS techer has been one of the famous for grading mean, the other teachers am asking are likely to give good recomms and are science and humanities. Thank you

Don’t use your name for the id.

3 Likes

@NinAlluri - your wet lab computational bio research with a publication of the way is really positive for your application. Your “A” in advanced CS is good and since you have experience with computational research, the “C” in basic CS class, should be ok. Also, your SAT of 1570 is pretty good.

I would not recommend BLS CPR OSHA type certifications. It would not give you any benefit in terms of BSMD admission. However, your strategy for LORs from both science and humanity teacher’s is pretty good! Usually students have only 1-4 LORs - 1) mandatory from your guidance counsellor 2) humanities or English 3) STEM 4) EC or another subject like computer science

IMO, BSMD admissions will not be impressed by your having a low GPA of “4.2 weighted” and a C. All BSMD programs are ultra competitive and there are lots of applicants with 4.0 unweighted GPA with all straight “As”. Usually applicants are in top 5% of their class.

Your strategy for application should be to apply widely to 12+ BSMD programs and another 6 UG institutions. Go with colleges in various geographic locations like oklahoma, Florida, georgia, missouri, and not just in north east!

Do your best with essays. Good Luck!

1 Like

I am looking for some advice on submitting AP scores to BSMDs, specifically a score of 4 on AP Chem. For context, the rest of my scores are: AP Human Geo, AP CS, AP Gov, APUSH, AP Lang, AP Calc AB + BC (5); AP Chem, AP Physics E&M + Mech, AP Spanish (4).

I am debating submitting the 4 on AP Chem bc I know that BSMDs are highly competitive and I am not sure if that would be a detriment to my application. However, I am a bit hesitant about omitting the 4 in Chem and submitting the rest of my 4s because it may seem like I got lower than a 4 in Chem.

So with that, my options are to 1) Submit everything and hope that my grade in the class (A) and the fact that I have a LOR from the teacher and my research mentor make up for the 4, or 2) Only submit my 5s.

I would suggest you should submit all your AP scores. A few 4s is not bad. They will know you took 10 APs.

4 Likes

Your option 1) is good - you should submit all AP scores, as suggested by @Park1212,

2 Likes

Thank you @Vicky2019 this is much helpful.

2 Likes

if you go for a free or close to it, try NJIT-NJMS. Also, if you got NMF OU offers 5 years of scholarship. If you can finish undergrad in 3 years, 2 first years of med school would be dirt cheap. They also offer a residency waiver with this scholarship and let you pay in-state price for med school. Confirm with them to be sure once you got accepted.

1 Like

Hello! I currently have the following AP exam scores:

• 5s on Chemistry, Calc AB, Lang
  • 4s on Biology, Calc BC
  • 3 on APUSH
  • 2 on Psychology (did not even study lol; I tried to self-study the day before)

I have all A and A+ for the above courses on my transcript, except a B+ for AP Chemistry and no grade for AP Psychology since I self-studied the course. However, I had taken dual enrollment with AP Calculus AB and BC and received an A+ with the respective courses.

What scores should I send for these competitive BSMD and BSDO programs, considering my grades in the dual enrollment courses? Please advise!

Knowing only the above facts I would say send all the 5s and 4s. Do not send the 3s and 2s.

2 Likes