Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

FYI - There should have been a place to check for Honors program in the common app

https://www.stonybrook.edu/undergraduate-admissions/apply/freshman.php

APPLY FOR HONORS PROGRAMS (OPTIONAL)
Students using The Common Application or Coalition Application can apply to honors programs on their application. Those who submit the SUNY Application must apply for honors programs and upload an essay (on a topic of your choosing) in your SBU admissions portal. Applicants to the Honors College, University Scholars and WISE: Upload a brief statement in your admissions portal on why you believe you will be a good fit for your preferred honors program. Scholars for Medicine and Scholars for Dental Medicine applicants: Upload an essay on “What aspects about medicine (or dental medicine) intrigue you? Describe how these aspects influence your life” (up to 650 words). All items are due January 15.

BU portal shows the “3 teacher forms” under “Required section” even though all 3 teachers submitted last week.
Everything else shows under Received .
Anyone else having this issue?

@highschoolinnj, My daughter emailed them asking if they received everything. They responded that they received all the recommendation letters and it takes 10 days for them to upload it to the portal. So you can email and check with them.

Same here. Called them. They said received but will take 2 weeks to show up on portal. Call them and confirm. Calling is faster. They take upto 3 days to reply to emails.

mygrad2021 and rk1235rk - Thank you

Its the case for us too. BU says it may take 2 weeks to update that information into portal status page! Its crazy.

@NoviceDa: Thank you. Yes, they do have the prompts on CApp for selecting yes/no for each of the three honors programs.

But do not have prompts for any essays, but for one generic 250 word essay for activities and experiences.

It seems that the essays need to be uploaded into portal after submitting the CommonApp, per earlier reply from @ttb1263

Else where in instruction they mentioned that bsmd essay propmt is in commonApp, but its not the case. (cause for my earlier concern)

"If you are applying to the Scholars for Medicine Program, submit an additional essay within our Common Application Writing Supplement on the topic: “What aspects about medicine intrigue you? Describe how these aspects influence your life.”

Consider the number of applications they get for the whole of undergrad. ~65 K. Of course it is staggered, mostly BA/MD, ED and may be few other programs open up early. But still probably ~10 K range. So understandable.

I think the lag is because those Reco Letters are to be send separately on a pdf via email. The ones that you attach via common app shows up as soon as you get access to the portal.

Same with other programs. The things to send via common app shows up pretty quickly.

Thanks for the tip on calling BU. It literally took 2 minutes to get the answer.
However, they were able to find 2 of the teachers (plus counselor’s) sent a week ago and could not locate the one teacher’s sent on 15th.

AO said “if it was sent within last week we may not see it as its not yet processed. Sometimes it may take up to 10 days to initial processing” ?

So, status is not only available in the portal, but also BU staff may not be able to see them right away! I will make another call a week later, unless portal is updated meanwhile.

@rk1235rk - Based on my memory, my S told me that every supplement including AMC supplement had more/additional essays.

I noticed about CASPER from the chat in this forum :slight_smile:

@ttb1263 - Thanks for sharing your thought process . WISE is a good choice!

For my son, “Women in Science & Engineering” option was not available :slight_smile:

However, he must have picked Scholars for some reason unique to him. I never asked!

IMO, I don’t think either of these is better than others. My understanding is Stony Brook treats them equally based on the information I got
& undertood.

@ttbl263

You need to get accepted to UG and then one of the three Honors programs (WISE, Scholars or Honors) to be considered for Scholars for medicine program.

A few kids out of the three honors programs are selected for the interview

You have a in person interview during the 3/4th week of march.

Please note-

-Being selected in one of the three Honors programs (WISE, Scholars or Honors) doesn’t automatically get them selected for the interview.

-Being selected for the interview does automatically mean you are admitted to BAMD program either

@Vicky2019, thanks for the info.

My s have an interview scheduled at NJIT, any idea how many kids get filtered at the first interview or stats
Thank You

@Nebula1, here is the stat for 2019/2020 cycle(from NJIT FAQ page).

Total Applicants - 388

Invited for Interview with ADHC Committee - 122

Selected by NJMS Committee for Interview - 74

Offered admission to BS/MD program by NJMS - 25

Enrolled in NJIT BS/MD Program with NJMS - 8

2 Likes

@love4bsmd - You should find additional Honors and BAMD program esssays in Common or Coalition application itself -

See below -

https://www.stonybrook.edu/undergraduate-admissions/apply/freshman.php

APPLY FOR HONORS PROGRAMS (OPTIONAL)
Students using The Common Application or Coalition Application can apply to honors programs on their application. Those who submit the SUNY Application must apply for honors programs and upload an essay (on a topic of your choosing) in your SBU admissions portal. Applicants to the Honors College, University Scholars and WISE: Upload a brief statement in your admissions portal on why you believe you will be a good fit for your preferred honors program. Scholars for Medicine and Scholars for Dental Medicine applicants: Upload an essay on “What aspects about medicine (or dental medicine) intrigue you? Describe how these aspects influence your life” (up to 650 words). All items are due January 15.

@rk1235rk Thank You

It is the secondary application from AMC (the medical school).
You will need to submit it with a fee ( not waived).

@rk1235rk
You are wrong. It is the secondary application sent by AMC (the medical school). You will need to submit it with a fee ( not waived). If you do not get called for an interview, please do not complain. Regular route MD applicants pay these fees to nearly 20-25 medical schools on average.