Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

@9the0girl7 - You are right, not all BS/MD programs are created equal. Some programs have more requirements than others.

For example:
-For some BSMD programs - students have a guaranteed seat in med school if they maintain their low GPA (between 3 to 3.5 GPA) and either no mcat (or get a very easy MCAT score such as 60-80 %).
-Usually Early Assurance programs have stricter/more requirements but they guarantee interview if all criteria is met. In regular path, this is not the case at all.

512 is 85% based on a link i found in google (i am not able to paste link here, you can google yourself). In my opinion students in the regular undergrad route would need a much higher MCAT score (especially ORMs)

This is where students need to decide what risk they are comfortable with while choosing college list to apply and then to join or not colleges in the admit list!!!

You should concentrate on getting ONE BSMD admission rather than these useless definitions. No BSMD program is guaranteed by definition if there are any conditions to be met to matriculate to medical school. Your goal is achieved only when you have met all those requirements and have a white coat ceremony. Not all BSMDs will matriculate to the medical school.
A grade of B- or lower in a NJMS pre-requisite in NJIT/TCNJ UG (say Organic Chemistry) will disqualify one from matriculating into NJMS.
There are weed out courses like Organic Chemistry in major universities.

IMO, A MCAT score 512 and 3.8 UG GPA may not be enough for an ORM in regular route.

My S just received his SAT subject scores. Is 780 on SAT Biology Molecular considered good to report to the BSMD programs that do not require it? He is ORM with 35 ACT (36 Composite) and 1590 SAT.

Thank you.

You can send it to all test optional colleges.

@NoviceDad

We only sent my Dā€™s SAT subject test scores to BS/MD schools and Georgetown so far.

Any benefits to send them to regular UG schools ? I think they are all test optional for schools our D applied.

@ttb1263, for reg. UG schools, there is no benefit in sending SAT subject scores. Almost all of them donā€™t look at them and do not take them into consideration when taking decision. But you can include them in your Testing Section of common app (in a way you are self-reporting them).

One question that I wanted to ask, as we are applying and getting acceptances into undergrad college, they send emails to create/activate account on the college portal. Is it necessary to do that? Does creating/activating accounts on colleges mean that we are accepting it? What I understood is that a student usually has until May 1 to decide which college/program he/she wants to attend. How do we communicate this to the colleges? Do we call one college and say - we accept the admission, and call others to say NO. How does this process work? Can someone please explain it?

You can select only ONE UG school by affirmation(either by email or making a deposit if required). Most schools will require you to make a deposit to confirm you seat before May 1.
If you are put on wait-list, you may need to send them a letter of continued interest. You can confirm ONE UG school but continue to be on wait-list beyond May 1, on other schools.
Be careful with creating account on a school website. To be on safe side, do not create an account unless necessary.

Be careful not to accept an UG admission/financial aid(merit scholarship included) offer by merely creating an account on a schoolā€™s website inadvertently.

Has anybody been able to apply to the Cincinnati Connections BS/MD? Their website hasnā€™t updated yet with this years application info

Friends, question about Oklahoma Medical Humanities Scholars Program application. Does this need separate recommendation letters sent or the recommendation letter attached in the main common app is enough?

Unless they are extremely competitive Ivy league type schools, no.

GENERALLY, opening an account does not mean accepting an admission offer.
(Check the specific language in the offer letter).
Portal is the place where you will see the overall status + updates related to your application.

Yes, practically all colleges give you till May 1 to decide.

Oklahoma Medical Humanities Scholars Program does not need any extra material. Here is what it says - "We will not examine any supplementary documents such as a resume, letters of support, or transcript. " So no need for any recommendation letters. They might look at the ones you submitted for undergrad application.

@rk1235rk Thank you.

Hello All - Our U Conn portal is still not authorized so cannot login. But does anyone have information on the word count for the supplemental questions ?

Please briefly share the influences on your decision to pursue the field of medici
ne, including shadowing experiences and other medical related activities.
Please describe your interests, activities, hobbies, etc., outside the area of health sciences.
Please describe a role you have held in a meaningful group/peer-related activity.

what is the deadline for the submission ?

@Bsmd2020iowa

Humanities is a broad term. So provide details related to what you have done over a period of time related to any area like arts, social science, literature, culture, community help, human touch etc.,

If your are interested in a humanities or liberal arts or social sciences UG major, it may help to state it during the interview or in your application.

Please read the fine print carefully in your offer letter for deadlines. It may be earlier than May 1.