Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

@mom2boys1999
On your list, what program is UI- 40 to 55?

That should read UIC

Few observations:

NJMS may be around 100-120 unique total acceptances with the expectation that 60-70% may join.

Stony Brook may offer to 12 per each of their honors programs with the expectation of total matriculation of about 12 (someone commented earlier)

Upstate may offer to around 100 through all the feeders(5-10/each) with the expectation that final enrollment will be around 60. Not sure about in state preference.

Brown may offer to about 80 RD (very few for ORMs) with the expectation half of them will matriculate.

FAU may accept between 20-24.

@mom2boys1999, UIC program is only for IL residents. May be you already know this. If you are IL resident, then it is a good program as their intake class size is quite decent.

@rk1235rk - Good point!

@mom2boys1999 & others interested in BS/MD programs -

Here are the BS/MD programs with in-state preference or only for in-state students-

Florida Atlantic University Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine/Florida A&M University

Medical College of Georgia/Augusta University

Texas A&M Health Science Center College of Medicine

Texas Tech Health Sciences Center School of Medicine

University of Colorado School of Medicine/University of Colorado Denver

University of Connecticut School of Medicine

University of Illinois at Chicago College of Medicine

University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine

University of New Mexico School of Medicine

University of South Alabama College of Medicine

University of Minnesota BA/MD Joint Admissions Scholars Program

There may be othersā€¦Do let me know if I have missed any programs?

@mom2boys1999

Here is a lit of BS/MD programs that have no interview for the program. You just have to submit applications (as shared by a student in 2020 cycle)

Augusta professional Scholars program
https://www.augusta.edu/admissions/professionalscholars.php

CNU
http://www.healthsciences.cnsu.edu/programs-offered/bs-md-combined-program/about/bs-md-combined-program

Toledo
https://www.utoledo.edu/engineering/bioengineering/undergrad/programs/bsmd.html

Seton hall
https://www.shu.edu/academics/ba-bs-md.cfm

And, if interested, these are the BS/MD programs with ED option

Brown
https://www.brown.edu/academics/medical/plme/information-prospective-students/admission

Wayne State Med Direct
https://provost.wayne.edu/wayne-med-direct

If students are not sure if BSMD is the right option for them and want to try out Undergraduate colleges instead before medicine. These students may want to consider applying to colleges with Early assurance programs.

Some of the below are really selective. If interested, Early Decision application could be considered to the UG where applicable. Public universities & Georgetown do not offer Early Decision, only Early Action.

List of Early assurance programs-

Albany Medical College Early Assurance Program
Boston University Early Medical School Selection Program
Brody School of Medicine Early Assurance Program
Dartmouth University Geisel School of Medicine Early Assurance Program
Drexel University College of Medicine Early Assurance Program
Georgetown University School of Medicine Early Assurance Program***
Hofstra/Northwell Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine, Zucker Pipeline Program
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, Flex Med Program
Michigan State University College of Human Medicine Early Assurance Program
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine Early Assurance Program
Penn State College of Medicine Early Assurance Program
SUNY Upstate Medical University Early Assurance Program
Temple University Lewis Katz School of Medicine Early Assurance Program
Tufts University School of Medicine Early Assurance Program
University of Chicago Pritzker school of Medicine Early Assurance Program
University of Florida Medical Honors Program
University of Rochester School of Medicine Early Assurance Program
Wake Forest School of Medicine Early Assurance Program

Mount Sinai has a flexmed early admission program open to sophomores from anywhere in the USA.

University of Cincinnatiā€™s is another one (irrespective of what they may or may not claim on their web portal).

UAB has instate followed by regional preferences and any left over seats (may be a couple or slightly more) will be given to others (check their portalā€™s student profiles section).

@rk2017 - Thank you for sharing. I will update my list.

@xxxamxxx -

I went to their website and found that they donā€™t specify a particular SAT/ACT score. Actually, I was not surprised. Even if a BA/BS MD specifies a range for SAT or ACT, itā€™s just a minimum to apply.

These programs are very selective and the admission rate for these programs is 1-5%. Even with a perfect test score or a perfect GPA, there is no guarantee students will be called for an interview, let alone a seat in the program!

You need to apply widely and hope you will be called for interviews by 2-3 programs and ultimately end up with one or more seats.

FAQ page for Brooklyn BA MD says -
http://www.brooklyn.cuny.edu/web/academics/honors-academy/programs/ba-md/faq.php

Their FAQ page for Brooklyn College BA MD says that the program is seeking academically strong students who have a wide range of interests. Academic strength criteria include SAT or ACT scores, high school GPA, AP courses completed or in progress, Regents scores, etc. Breadth of interests is captured by a well-organized rƩsumƩ.

My daughter is in a similar boat. she has an ACT score but needs to improve for higher chance, and needs SAT subject tests. Wonā€™t have many opportunities to take so lets hope.

@mom2boys1999 Hi do you know if this non-online test applies to ACT also?thanks

@force1 Donā€™t get too discouraged and apply and hope for the best. My sonā€™s friend had similar stats. 3.8 UW GPA, ORM, 34 ACT I think. He got accepted into Temple. He only got into 1 BS/MD but it was temple. i would advise you not to assume that you canā€™t get in and apply widely. DOnā€™t assume that all want perfect stats.

@mom2boys1999 Temple accepts more than 3 im pretty sure. Have a friend whose son who graduated this year and was accepted into temple. his bs/md program has 7 or 8 people.

There is no fixed number of seats for Temple/Temple HSP. It varies every year. Usually 4-8 students accept the offer( all enter as 4+4 bsmd, later after first semester, they can choose 3+4 bsmd pathway depending upon the grades in the first semester). If your acquaintanceā€™s son graduated this year, you may be right about 6-7 in that batch. The current batch has only 4 Temple Health Scholars. Temple LKSOM has a different Washington & Jefferson/Temple bsmd program.

https://medicine.temple.edu/education/md-program/how-apply/special-admissions-program

FYI, All current Temple HSP are ORM Indians (who interviewed with LKSOM last spring) and are extremely bright. So what is mentioned as minimum STATs ( GPA 3.8 and ACT 32/ SAT 1350) should not be taken as an assurance of any kind.

https://medicine.temple.edu/education/md-program/how-apply/special-admissions-program

Reading thru this:
The current batch has only 4 Temple Health Scholars. Temple LKSOM has a different Washington & Jefferson/Temple bsmd program.

Are these two different programs and have to be applied separately?

Did WashU cancel their University Scholars Program in Medicine BS/MD program? I went on their website and clicked the link to it but it said the page is not available.

Junior member here:
Freshman / rising sophomore, aspiring to be a decent BSMD applicant in 2 years.
Semester 2 at my high school like everyone was virtual.
I ended Semester 2 with 5 As (Honors Alg II w Trig, Spanish 3, Band, Culinary Arts, STEM) and 1 B (Honors Biology). We have the option of taking GRADE or CREDIT by subject. I am tempted to take CREDIT for Honors Biology to protect my unweighted GPA. (I had a very tough Bio teacher and missed A- by 1.8 pcts, taking me to a B+ but for S2 my school is doing away with the + / - to the grades so I round down to a ā€œBā€).

I also self-studied & took the AP Bio exam this May. Will not have that score till July and need to decided GRADE or CREDIT soon for Honors Biology for this semester 2 of freshman year. Taking CREDIT for H Biology will give me an unweighted GPA = 3.75 and taking the "B grade will give me an unweighted GPA = 3.67. I was advised to take the GRADE as taking CR will look like I am hiding a C or D type grade.

And I also do English through a college outside of my high school which has me doing English 9 +10 freshman year. I did a 0.5 Econ course online to get that credit but I do not get to count that grade. Did World History last summer (had an A) so that is why I am able to fit electives.

I plan to take 2 AP classes sophomore year and hope to gain on my weighted GPA. I will also take AP Bio junior year.

Any thoughts GRADE or CREDIT for H Biology Semester 2 of freshman?
All comments are welcome!

It seems so. see the post #152 a few days ago.