Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

@Sooar78 - I agree with @NoviceDad that you and your parents should have a serious conversation with the High School headmaster.

You are very young and under a lot of pressure. You made a mistake however, from now onwards you should be very careful about how you act. cheating or plagiarism is not taken lightly. You should work with high school to remove this from your record. Be open to taking any community service as a punishment.

Another point, why go for a medicine which demands near perfection now and forever? You are under a lot of pressure only because you want BSMD where the requirement is so high! If you went for a regular undergrad, 3.5 GPA and your test scores is pretty good. As an adult, my experience is as long as you work hard and continuously improve, you can be successful in chosen profession even if you were not so good at High School.

Please take time to think/reflect on your situation and make changes accordingly.

1 Like

@Geek13 - Congratulations on completing interview with NJIT. how did it go?

Good Luck to both you and @InspireTruth on the next steps

Congratulations @aspiringbsmd2021 @gracewins on your RPI/AMC supplement. All the very best on the next steps.

@gracewins - you should write new essays in the supplement. These should be different from those you submitted to the same college via Common/Coalition App.

Hey! no one said BSMD applications were easy and quick!

Can someone please summarize which programs have sent out interviews/finalist applications thus far?

Thanks @NoviceDad!

Thank You SO MUCH for your advice!!! I have talked to my principal and the cheating charges will be dropped in exchange for me participating in 100 hours of community service.

3 Likes

@anxiousfor7year - regarding SBU.

Yes, you submit the commonApp choosing one or all of the honors program and scholars program. No prompts will appear in commonApp for them.

You will have to upload the essays for those program in the portal. You will also have a chance to change the selected honors program in the portal.

@gracewins
When we applied first, there was a supplemental section for RPI/AMC and we filled out. This is new? If so, Supplemental request from RPI or AMC?

For students who have received RPI/AMC supplement (@gracewins, @aspiringbsmd2021), did anything change on your RPI portal? Any new status or update?

Thanks for your reply.

I believe it was a similar situation for Rice/ Baylor application. Does the Rice student portal show that you have submitted your ‘Rice/Baylor Medical Scholars application’? My D submitted it yesterday but the portal does not show it. Any ideas?

No, when I checked, I couldn’t see anything different on the RPI portal, unfortunately.

Does anyone know if there is hope for Rice / Baylor if you got accepted to Baylor UG but rejected by the med school?

Thanks @aspiringbsmd2021. Does anyone know if RPI (or AMC) will notify if a student is not selected for the next step of getting AMC supplement?

@rk1235rk
I am not sure about that. I see the below status in my S’s RPI/AMC portal.

Please note there is no solid notification date for applicants to the accelerated medical program. Any updates to your application will be sent through email or be shown on your application status page. Final notifications are typically sent in April.

Got confirmation from RPI/AMC that they are planning to send “Supplemental App” in two to three weeks.
But few of our friends received it already. I don’t know what’s going on

I emailed RPI about a timeline, and this is what they say:
"Thank you for your application to our Physician-Scientist Program. Please know your application is in the queue waiting to be reviewed by our committee. We have over 600 applicants to this program and it will take time (usually by February) to complete the initial review process. We ask you to be patient. Should you have any questions, don’t hesitate to reach out to me. "

So looks like RPI will be coming out in waves

1 Like

Thank you @fountainpens17, @RG1972. Comforting to know that they are still reviewing applications and are not done sending supplements.

would penn state update the status if it is rejected immediately ? so no news is good news ?
D’s status still shows as “under review” and as my name says 
 I am tensed :slight_smile:

@RG1972 , @aspiringbsmd2021 @rk1235rk - The straight answer is yes, they will notify. Usually RPI in the past (last year) has several interview rounds in phases. Depending on when the applications were submitted/received, RPI keeps shortlisting student applications to AMC. Similarly, AMC sends invites for interviews in phases as well.

By end of March/early April, you will find out either way 

@TensedMom - usually Undergrad institutions don’t update the status immediately. You still have time so don’t worry. However, Penn State interview is in January.

In the past, they have had only one interview for all shortlisted students. A student will be told or will be able to figure out by January either way.