Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Does anyone know how to access the UPitt portal? Is it the my.pitt.edu thing because I have no idea how to find my admission status from there.

I had some difficulty searching last year’s thread with all these recent CC changes. The first reported interview phone call from BU SMED on this forum seems to be on Jan 7th.

FYI: To search last year’s thread on my cell phone, had to switch to desktop mode, in the search text had to put BU and a space surrounded by quotes and enter. So 3 characters with quotes around. The extra space at the end was to eliminate frequently used words like but (seems case insensitive). The older version was much easier to search.

1 Like

dang :confused:

That is so nice of you! My daughter is applying to Union/AMC this year. She is in the middle of finishing up the AMC supplemental application. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Can she call you or email you directly?

Hi all,

How does Pitt process works?

I got my UG acceptance but nothing on GAP and scholarship. Do they go really sequential? Any one else received GAP next steps?

Hey, I just got UG acceptance rn too! no word on GAP tho

2 Likes

Congratulations! Does it show the date when PSU sent it to SKMC?

1 Like

BU LoR- ours is worse. 1st one was updated in a week, 2nd one after 3 weeks and 3rd one they can’t find
 asked to resend.

Guys, I just received an email from the UIC GPPA program that says—

Dear UIC GPPA Medical Scholars Applicant,

Thank you for your interest in the GPPA Medical Scholars Program. As an applicant who is being advanced to the next stage of screening you are required to complete the CASPer test. Please plan to take the CASPer test on 12/10/2020 or 1/17/2021. The test code for the Undergraduate Health test is CSP-10106. To reserve your test, please visit https://account.takecasper.com/signup, under 'Program Type" select “Medicine Combined Programs”, and UIC GPPA MSP will appear as one of the options for the Dec 10th and Jan 17th test windows. More information can be found on the website at https://takecasper.com/.

Does this mean I am going to get an interview?

@nebsmd

From what I understand, you just need to apply and indicate that you want to apply for gap medicine in your application by November 1st. You will be notified in December to continue the GAP process. They will not send deny letter :frowning:

So far I haven’t seen anybody received notification yet . As for scholarship, our D received the award in the 2 weeks after admission but may take longer for some.

Good luck !!!

@DesiGirl267 - It only means that Undergrad institute has shortlisted and advancing you to med school.

For med school to select, they need the results of your CASPER test. You should register for the test ASAP. You should also set aside a few hours for the test. you may need some peaceful time to attempt it. No other preparation is necessary according to my S

thanks!

Actually for the UIC GPPA program they don’t send applications to the medical school, rather they have a committee that reviews applications only for the GPPA Medicine program. UIC GPPA Medical Scholars Program has been known to send out interviews in the first week of January (8th, 9th, or 10th). As one of the options to take the Casper is after this date and is on January 17th and because the website says interviews take place on January and February, I would say that it is extremely likely that you will be given an interview. My daughter also received this news last week. Good luck Desigirl and hopefully both you and my daughter can get into this prestigous program.

1 Like

Last year, My S got multiple BSMD programs and top Undergrads and he choose Penn State over his other options after carefully weighing pros and cons. One of his current classmates got into Harvard but choose PMM program instead. Another classmate choose PMM over Northwestern HPME. All his classmates are very well accomplished with great ECs, GPA (top 1% of class) and test scores etc. My Son feels happy that he was able to find like minded class-mates/dorm-mates.

@rk2017 is right. My S was able to get waiver for his APs and it looks like he will be able to save one year out of the 3 years accelerated program. He is also participating in several ECs including research (virtually) with professor.

Everyone is different and gives importance to different things. All students need to choose their own path

@rk2017 - Last year, My S got his interview on Jan 14 last year. By the time he got his phone from BU, a couple of others already had received their phone call (& email) from BU SMED.

congrats and good luck for next steps!

@9the0girl7 - Last year, My S had his Rutgers/NJMS and Stevens/NJMS interviews towards second half of January.

Actually most of his interviews happened from January-February except for Stony Brook BAMD which happened in late March.

Congratulations and good luck to your D.

Congratulations and good luck to you as well.

1 Like