Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Hi @Vicky2019, Which APs was your son able to use at Penn to waive courses? I understand that science courses can’t be waived since medical schools require a year or Bio, Chem etc. Did the APs waive the gen. ed courses?

It will be helpful for future planning purposes if you can list some APs that might be useful to have. Thanks a lot!

@kaj2017 Once you join PSU ( if you are successful in getting an admission as PSU/SKMC BSMD), schedule a session with an academic advisor. You can discuss all issues related to AP credits, dual enrollment credits etc. Here is some info

Most universities have standard policies regarding AP credits. Just google it.

1 Like

Not a good idea to choose APs with future planning in view. One (the kid) must go with what is most appealing and enjoyable, that way they also tend to do well in those subjects. As far as science APs are concerned generally a good idea to finish 3 or more in BCPM areas by the time of applications to these programs. Not necessarily because one is going to get credit, but to show rigor and thoroughness. Most likely Comp Sci, Calc and Statistics get credit even in these programs.

1 Like

My S was able to talk to his academic advisor and get credit for all STEM courses as well as non STEM courses - as per the standard policy provided by @grtd2010 for all undergrads (including PMM students)

@kaj2017 Some programs will give credit for only ONE AP subject amongst BMPC( Biology, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry). One can get credit for almost any AP course related to General Education requirements based on the AP score. One may want to take Honors courses in Psychology, History, Philosophy, Sociology, Religion, Arts History to enrich UG experience.

Hi! I’m also doing my supplementals for Union’s LIM Program. Could I get your email and maybe we could zoom sometime? Tysm!!

@Vicky2019

That’s great. It is kind of highly unusual that 3 students from the same high school all landing in the same program. They must be all very accomplished. And great for your son to have company of the kids from his school for all 7 years. I am sure they nourish, inspire and even challenge each other and come out as top notch physicians.

1 Like

Thank you all!

@kaj2017 Some programs will give credit for only ONE AP subject amongst BPMC( Biology, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry). One can get credit for almost any AP course related to General Education requirements based on the AP score. One may want to take Honors courses in Psychology, History, Philosophy, Sociology, Religion, Arts History to enrich UG experience.

@Vicky2019
Thanks a lot for your insight and valuable information. My S got an interview from PSU/SKMC. He has more AP’s and PSEO’S credits. He will be OOS if he gets into PSU. Do they accepts other states credits? Please advice.
Thanks

1 Like

Folks

Worry about AP credits at the time of offers and evaluating decisions.
Right now - focus on any pending applications and upcoming interviews.

2 Likes

@RG1972 Please discuss these when you meet with an academic advisor. Is PSEO’s are from an University or Community College like your state university ? Please send the official transcript from the university or Community College to PSU before the start of the semester if choose to enroll at PSU.

2 Likes

@Sooar78 Yes, NoviceDad has a consulting service but does not advertise it here. Private consulting services advertisement are not allowed. Please delete the name in your post.

Is it worth applying to California Northstate University’s BS/MD program? I see that it is a for-profit school but it has a decent match list.

@Sooar78 It was not recommended by many on cc in past. Search ’ Northstate BSMD ’ in prior years threads.

1 Like

@rk2017 - They are not from same school or even same state. They live in neighboring rooms in the Penn State University dorm from Aug 2020 onwards. the 7 yrs program stick close to each other :slight_smile:

Sorry if my words were confusing.

You are right, its rare for even 2/more students to join in a 7 year program from the same state.

@RG1972 - Congratulations to your S on the interview. Wish him the best for his interview.

My S is also out of state for PSU. However, I wont know what Penn State will accept or not. You can look at the link provided by @grtd2010. In addition, Penn State officials will be able to help answer any questions you have.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your input and the information asalwzys.

1 Like

Makes sense now @Vicky2019, since I was quickly skimming through the posts, got an impression that they have been class mates since high school. Nevertheless, great company your son has got.

1 Like

@Sooar78 - Have you considered BS/DO accelerated programs? See list from Dr. Rubens mini medical college

It is true and I agree with @grtd2010 that CNU was not recommended by many on cc in the past. But, I am providing some info on similar programs below. If still interested, you can try these -

Augusta professional Scholars program

California Northstate -
http://www.healthsciences.cnsu.edu/programs-offered/bs-md-combined-program/about/bs-md-combined-program

Toledo

Seton hall