Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

I thought both FAFSA and CSS are required only for need based aid/scholarships.
FAFSA for Federal aid and some colleges require CSS if you want to get non-federal scholarships, but still need based.

Admission decisions and merit scholarships should not be based on any of those applications. Did anyone experience it differently? Please let’s know. We did not file either of them.

While FAFSA is free, CSS is not. CSS costs $16 per college.

I have been waiting to hear back from them as well.

Thank you all

Only students who are selected will be notified. Notifications will go out on or before December 15, 2020.

Does anyone who’s applying to Union/AMC have any idea what this question is asking?

Describe your design for a scholarly health care management project that would yield informative results and that you would lead during your tenure in the program

I’ve been staring at it all day. Like should we talk about a specific procedural design or just more general?

@snsh5713
Why are you asking private info like email or Phone # from @AZawan in the post above this. Please respect the privacy of participants.

Hi - I had meant to send a private message to the poster @AZawan. He had offered help to people who are applying for the Union LIM Program through an earlier post so I wanted to know the best way to get in touch with him. I deleted that post when I realized it was showing up in the BS MD continuity thread. Not sure how/why you still saw it. Hope that clarifies the matter.

@snsh5713
It was visible as soon as it was posted.

Sure, No problem. Just FYI, there is also a post #2469 also to the same poster and requesting an email.

When we called TCNJ, they said not to expect to hear anything back before January. Hope that helps.

@snsh5713
You mean @bsmd229929 post # 2469 requesting an email.

To me it appears more as a generic topic than specific to some aspect (though if you have had elaborate exposure to a particular field, can delve into it). Union program is known to give importance to leadership roles and liberal arts.

Some of the points you may want to consider about is how to look about the big picture from various angles and be able to correlate to and bring together, such as bio informatics/big data, statistical modeling, genetics, socio economic factors, past case studies, human and philosophical aspects of medicine, interactions with industry etc. You may want to talk about how you would use your broad exposure, leadership, connections and communication skills while heading a team tasked to the project.

Just some suggestions, up to you to decide how to go about.

Just pushed kiddo’s CASPER back to January, the last date available for Hofstra deadline.

His Physics final is this week and he is sitting at an 88.9%, highest grade in the class but still not an A. I hate it for him too, he has had a rough semester-his brother got Covid from his work, our house flooded, and his uncle unexpectedly passed away end of November. I wish transcripts came with an explanation for a grade! It stinks because it is DE and will follow his med school applications, boooo.

So going to take small bites of the apple in order: this week’s bite is finals, and we will worry about CASPER later. The positive is he has been so busy that he isn’t worrying about his BSMD stuff lol!

1 Like

@mom2boys1999 - Check with Hofstra once. When we called Hofstra for my D, they said Dec is the last day. (Available dates were Dec 10 and Jan 17)

OMG!

Got the following response from Hofstra. The only slot we have is in Dec … I am also in same boat and scheduled exam on Jan 17th…

“We need to receive all CASPer exam scores by January 15th at the absolute latest. This means that I would recommend taking the CASPer exam prior to January 1st if possible to ensure that your scores arrive to us on time.”

That’s right. January 17th is no go.
@mom2boys1999 - Please pick dec 10 if its still available.

1 Like

My daughter just registered for Hofstra CASPER and she could find the spot on DEC 10th. Please check again if it’s available.

1 Like

When AMC supplement asks for Laboratory Research Experiences, does it have to be in the lab, or could we include independent research as well? Kind of hard to have lab research with Covid!!

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear that. Both you and him must be very resilient. Please check with Hofstra to make sure he doesn’t miss the deadline :slight_smile: