Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

@gracewins I know that AMC sends out supplements on a rolling basis. When did you submit your application?

@gracewins, we would be interested as well to know when you submitted your RPI/AMC application.

@Sumjum For the UIC GPPA program, some of my friends haven’t received an invitation to take the casper test yet and they submitted their applications much later than me. Is gppa reviewing applications on a rolling basis?

@DesiGirl267 Since applicants are receiving invitations to take the CASPER exam (only for interviewees) very early and the actual application deadline is December 1st, UIC GPPA appears to be evaluating applications on a rolling basis.

This would give applicants who submitted applications earlier an advantage and applicants who submitted applications later a clear disadvantage as interview seats are being taken up left and right.

I submitted a few days before November 1st.

Don’t know enough about this particular program, but doesn’t sound right. They definitely won’t want to lose out on someone with stellar credentials and track record just because he/she applied later and/or will be asked to take CASPER later. It is my understanding this particular test is more or less a formality, don’t think decisions will be made based on that.

Thank you! The website says “test by mid-January,” which seems like Jan 17 would have been fine. But we called the Adcom and found out scores have to be in by Jan 15. So guess he is testing this week and it just is what it is.

Do not discount CASPer evaluations as NOT being important. It is being asked by an increasing number of medical schools in regular MD route. So a BSMD applicant has to comply with the same requirements for that particular medical school. Your application is NOT complete without all necessary components like all official tests and their scores/evaluation, all official transcripts, LORs etc. One should find out all requirements for each BSMD program and plan accordingly. One can be asked about CASPer evaluation report during the interview.

@mom2boys1999 - yes. Our original schedule was in November and D couldnt not attend. So we wanted to reschedule and Dec 10 was also out of question due to her classes.
Luckily we called Adcom , and they informed the same. so we booked Dec 10 immdly.

Good luck to our kids !!

Most medical schools evaluate applications, offer interviews and admissions on a rolling basis during regular route MD. There is nothing new here.

1 Like

Looks like lots of Union/AMC guys are willing to help privately, that help should begin by sharing their experience in experience thread.

CASPer

I think Hofstra dropped the ball on this one.
Why does the website say mid-January when they could have clearly written that we need the CASPer scores by the Jan 15 deadline.

Plus the CASPER website also indicates Jan 17 as the last day to take CASPer for Hofstra.

Clearly, adcoms are having a communications issue this year.

Also I know people are talking about the CASPer exam. I had to take the exam for Hofstra and Albany Medical School. There is some practice and preparation that can be done for the exam. The test is something that tests the personality and maturity of someone. It can be of great help if you make yourself familiar of the test.

My son got an invitation from UIC GPPA to take his CASPER exam. Does this mean, he got to the next step of the admissions step, and how many people get invited to take this CASPER exam??

From what I can tell you, I am pretty sure most people receive the CASPer test as it is essential for the admission process. I think the number of students who receive the invitation is relatively high. Please feel free to reach out with more questions.

As UIC GPPA has updated its website to say “Applicants advanced to the next stage will be asked to take the CASPer test.” and specifically invites only a few applicants to take the exam, I would assume that this means that certain applicants are being seperated and placed into the CASPER/Interview bucket per se.

However, that doesn’t mean we should relax yet, but rather it means that we need to make sure that the CASPER exam is taken and attempted seriously with good effort as it is reasonably possible that bad results may impact admission.

One of the options to take the CASPER exam is in January 17, with results coming out in mid-February. UIC GPPA normally sends out all of its interviews on the same day in the beginning of January and conducts interviews in the end of January and beginning of February. As CASPER results will come out after the interview, it only makes sense to ask sutdents who will be intervied to take the CASPER exam. Most likely the CASPER test will be used for basic screening purposes to make sure an applicant has the minimum ethical and psychological standards needed for UICOM.

If I haven’t received an invitation to take the CASPer exam should I be worried regarding my candidacy for UIC BSMD?