Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

How important are subject tests in BS/MD admissions?

This is my question too. Especially in today’s times when most of the colleges are test optional. And which subject tests are more important than the others? Math 2? Bio or Chem?

@confusedjunior61 , @melslemonade - Most BSMD programs require SAT II Chem & Math Level 2. However, recommend you look at the program website for programs that you are applying to

As per Northwestern HPME,
Applicants are required to take the SAT Reasoning Exam and SAT Subject Exams in Math Level 2 and Chemistry. The ACT may be substituted for the SAT Exam. There are no substitutions for the Math Level 2 and Chemistry Subject Exams. Writing is optional, but recommended for the ACT.

As per BU SMED:

SAT or ACT scores.
SAT Subject Tests in Chemistry and Math 2. No substitutes will be accepted.
SAT Subject Test in Foreign Language – optional.

BU SMED has gone test optional this application cycle.

@rk1235rk - Certainly! Being test optional will enable all the kids to apply without reporting any SAT I or SAT II subject tests scores.

@confusedjunior61 , @melslemonade - To further clarify on my previous comment, if you were planning to take SAT subject tests then, plan on Math level 2 & Chemistry or either one is fine as well

If you have already/previously taken Biology then by all means, report that.

IMO, since BSMD programs with test optional now have a minimum requirement of “no tests”, if you have any tests and would like to report these, you have “more than the minimum requirement” - and you should be definitely fine!!!

I have Math 2 and Bio. I was wondering should I take Chem? I am planning to apply to Northwestern and so am self-studying for Chem SAT but I wanted to ask is the effort worth it? Coz that college is a reach anyways so maybe I could use my time elsewhere and add other colleges to my list?

@confusedjunior61 - First of all you need to decide on the options below -

There are two options -

1. Apply to a handful of BS/BA-MD programs, around 4-8 and choose among the most selective programs such as Brown, Northwestern, Rice/Baylor, UPitt or Baylor. Choose 8-10 traditional undergrad applications. This could significantly reduce your chance/s in BSMD but these students are fine with the traditional route.
  2. Go all out for the direct med programs. Apply to traditional route as a backup option only. Approximately, 12-15 BS/BA-MD programs & 3-6 UG colleges

Always Quality is more important than quantity with respect to essays and the interviews. Don’t spread yourselves too thin. It’s a lot of work and is draining. Remember, this is a marathon, not a sprint!

Secondly, you need finalize a college list. Check if these are test optional or have any test requirements (& if so, what tests). Based on this, you decide whether it makes sense to prep for Chemistry or not!

In my personal opinion, Northwestern looks for unique students. This doesn’t always mean INTEL or Science olympiad finalist. RSI or prestigious summer program and perfect stats (perfect GPA, perfect test scores, large # of APs with 5’s). There are usually multiple applicants that fit this profile! It could mean, you made a huge difference in your small community or you have an EC that speaks to them

Ultimately, its your decision if you want to take SAT II Chemistry for applying to Northwestern HPME or for any other BS MD programs.

What is a “good” score on the subject tests? Is anything 750+ worth reporting or should it be even higher? Around what score does it become a disadvantage to report the score? thanks.

Also if my daughter has not taken the subject tests yet and is not very interested in Northwestern program, does it make sense to take it now? She also has to retake ACT which is more important. Wondering if it makes sense to focus on them but I heard SAT math 2 curve is not bad so.

Thank you so much!

@melslemonade -

Like I previously mentioned, if your child is applying only to BSMD programs with test optional, then they now have a minimum requirement of “no tests”, if you have any tests and would like to report these, you have “more than the minimum requirement” - and you should be definitely fine!!!

I don’t see an issue with 750+

In the past, students have scored 790+ in subject tests. These tests are based on what subject kids took during the school year.

For example - If a student took Precalculus course during school year, then students should do well on the Math level 2 exam if they took it during May/June or during the summer after the course.

@melslemonade - As per my poster to @confusedjunior61 , your child needs to finalize their college list.

Check each college/program website to see if they are test optional or have any test requirements (& if so, what tests). Based on this, you decide whether it makes sense to take SAT II subject tests or even SAT I/ACT.

If your child opts out of these tests, what else in her profile makes her stand out to these programs? I firmly believe that test optional won’t make these programs less selective. The programs will simply focus on other aspects of the student profile!

Hi everyone, haven’t really seen posts on here about dual enrollment courses at a community college. Do bs/md programs or undergrad colleges in general usually accept these credits? If so, which courses would be useful to take in high school to finish off some of the college requirements?

Take SAT II MATH 2 only if required. After 100% SAT II MATH curve declines very steeply.
As @Vicky2019 has pointed out, these programs are still selective and test optional or not , it is very tough competition. Anything which makes one stand out will help. Do no take SAT II tests if one is not well prepared.

It depends on the school or university. Check their website or call them. In NJ, state community college credited are mostly accepted by state colleges/university (may be not by Princeton University, NJ). Students even complete an associate degree while in high school. One reason my be a low cost or free enrollment for high school students.

An other option may be to take AP exams which satisfy General Education Requirements for the college or university. You will find this information with minimum score required for each AP exam to qualify on their website.

First decide what is your goal with bsmd programs. If it is nice to have a bird-at-hand option but willing to go for traditional route, select at least 8-10 bsmd ( not all selective) programs.
If you must have a bsmd admission, apply to 16-20 bsmd programs.
Plan for regular UG as a separate option with at least 8-12 programs. Some of the bsmd programs are also good candidates for UG as a pre-med.

For an ORM, the competition is with other ORMs in bsmd programs. In past most ORMs had near perfect SAT II scores in at least two subjects( MATH, Chem, Biology, Physics). Most will take SAT II in Math and Biology if not applying to NU HPME and BU SMED ( both required SAT II Chem).

One can finance education and pay for BSMD or regular MD regardless the ability to pay by cash/check. Being rich is NOT a requirement for an admission.

Hi,
someone mentioned before that Drexel BSMD has 32 seats, which makes it above average intake class size. Can someone please provide further details on the overall program? If I remember correctly (and understood correctly), I read somewhere in last year thread that it has lost its own residency program and hence it not a good program anymore. Can someone confirm this? Or confirm otherwise?

@rk1235rk
Please call Drexel and confirm the number of BSMD seats. It is an early assurance program.