Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

yes we saw that too but nothing so far

Same for our S. Perhaps they don’t want to open the portal until 12/15 so that everyone has the same amount of time to apply?

Got Upitt GAP letter today!

D/S received GAP app. SAT -1590 ACT 36

is it worth applying wanted to confirm

What is the acceptance rate and how many get interview after the first step ?

Some one mentioned less competitive than other programs like REMS where acceptance is less than 1 percent

^I need this information as well.

Congratulations

UPitt has highly rated medical program.
400 supplements and 40 interviews,

Congratulations.
What i hear from people that GAP program is very competitive and one of a good BS/MD program as well

Yes Pitt GAP is very competitive. But the draw back some see in it being 8 years even with all those AP/IB/DE credits under one’s belt. Perhaps that is what led couple of students I have known indirectly, from the same batch, with good scholarship amounts too for the undergrad, quit the program after junior year and went for applying out (and perhaps with >= 99% ile MCAT scores too)

Folks, please keep your stress level under control. Stop reading this thread multiple times in a day. There is no use in comparing yourself with others. Deal with whatever cards your are dealt with. Concentrate on task at hand like submitting a well written supplement.

3 Likes

Add to that focus on writing essays for whatever colleges you received the supplement for. Remember after GPA/Standardized scores, Essays will be make or break situation.

@sam2024 Your DS is well ahead just by receiving a GAP supplement. Just complete it and see what is the next step in the process.

me too; i was really hoping to get past the first round at least but nothing has come in the mail. i’ll be hopeful until tomorrow though since there’s a chance the mail was just delayed?

If you saw the post about NJMS 2024 class profile. 29/178 OOS matriculants, this should not be a surprise, IMO.

Stanford UG experience vs TCNJ UG experience, no comparison. NJ Stem students seem to prefer Rutgers and NJIT over TCNJ except those selected for TCNJ/NJMS BSMD, IMO.

When did you hear about undergrad admission for Pitt?

@grtd2010, I am curious to know why BSMD students select TCNJ over NJIT? Is NJIT better than TCNJ?

I personally know students who went to TCNJ undergrad traditional route. One went on to RWJS for medicine and finishing up residency at a Harvard teaching hospital. The other same for both TCNJ and RWJS, did a transition residency year at Harvard followed by a very competitive residency at UPenn. The other was a top student of a large prestigious public high school but wasn’t fortunate to get into any BS/MD owing to stiff competition from their HS. Got a full ride with even part of room and board covered at flagship state school, but preferred to join TCNJ instead with whatever partial price breaks were offered. Won’t be surprised if the student can threepeat the two predecessors or even better.

1 Like

@mygrad2021, TCNJ is located in a remote secluded area where as NJIT is located in an urban neighborhood. NJIT is an engineering school (one may have to take Calculus III as a BSMD)where TCNJ is more of a liberal arts and science college.

Just as an example, may be nearly 20+ classmates of my D’s Health Academy high school in NJ joined Rutgers-NB UG with very good financial aid where as may be only 4-5 joined TCNJ as traditional UG or TCNJ/NJMS UG. A decent number of those in Rutgers-NB may have applied via regular route MD in this cycle.