Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Other than UConn, what are some programs with a focus on rural/medically-underserved focus?

@Konohakatu @Vicky2019 @grtd2010

First of all, thank you @Vicky2019 for the kind words.

@Konohakatu - Both @Vicky2019 and @grtd2010 make valid points.

Question to you - what is the concern for NOT submitting a test score?
Not planning or inability to give SAT/ACT? your city is still in COVID19 restriction mode? Low scores? something else?

ACT - June 13 test: What we know so far:

As an FYI -

ACT conducted the June 13 test under “not normal” conditions.

Students were tested for tested for COVID19 symptoms and tests followed social distancing norms.

Some test centers reduced capacity to maintain social distancing norms and some centers cancelled their availability.

ACT in some cases had to send students back - but they gave priority to seniors, followed by juniors followed by registration date.

But tests were conducted in 45 out of 50 states.

Waiting to see what happens for the July 18 test - test centers have till tomorrow to confirm their availability and students will know by June end their test centers and/ or of any cancellations.

@NoviceDad i don’t really have a concern I took a baseline ACT in December and I got a 33 and I was gonna take it again but then everything got shut down. And I took Math II at the end of freshman year and got 780 but I didn’t take another one yet and I would rather focus on essays/extracurriculars/research now than tests. I was gonna take bio and Chem probably but since places are test optional I was just not going to because these tests cost quite a lot of money. I was just trying to be open and see if I should submit my scores for BS/MDs and not take more subject tests especially because of finances.

Understand your situation. Costs of tests, applications, interviews all add up.

But note that Colleges that require the subject test want 2 test scores.
It make make sense to take one more Subject test - I prefer Chem.
Since you already have the Math II score, give the second one and increase your options to apply.

Please confirm with BU that if you submit SAT score, are you REQUIRED to submit the SAT Subject Test scores as well.
The wording on the website seems to indicate that you may have too.

Even NU is also test optional now

Is NU HPME also going test optional with respect to SAT/ACT and SAT subject tests?

Hi everyone,
I am new this forum. I would appreciate if some one could guide me regarding Online courses that students can take for AP courses and UC credit courses. Which is the best place or site to do these courses. What should I look for before enrolling to such courses to make sure if its accredited or genuine. Thanks for your help in advance. Have a blessed day.

Thank you. That seems right. I will confirm.

NU undergrad is test optional.
NU-HPME still indicates test scores are required - may be the HPME webpages are not updated. Better to email them and confirm.

HPME website:

https://www.feinberg.northwestern.edu/sites/hpme/apply/entrance-requirements.html

HPME still requires test scores —
https://admissions.northwestern.edu/faqs/standardized-testing-for-2020-21/index.html

"Will certain Northwestern programs continue to require test scores?

Yes. Students applying to the Honors Program in Medical Education or Integrated Science Program should refer to those websites for program-specific testing requirements."

Good afternoon. I am working on the supplemental essays for UConn’s Special Program in Medicine. Although the UConn website does outline the prompts, it does not have anything on how many words each response should be. Does anyone know the expected range of words for these essays?

Do you all have any inputs on how to request the teachers for recommendations?

EDX has a number of self-spaced AP courses.

I believe around 250-300.
@Cherax @uravgperson - can you please confirm?

I believe around 250-300.
@Cherax @uravgperson - can you please confirm?

Ignore - answered wrong post.

Recos: talk to teachers who you think know you the most. Reach them via email and set up a phone call / meeting and explain to them what you are applying to. Many of them may NOT be aware of BS/MD programs.
Also give them a heads-up on the number of applications.

@Futurdoc @NoviceDad I don’t think there’s a word limit although Common App might restrict it—don’t remember. Either way, my supplemental essays for SPiM averaged 500 words. Just write enough to get your message across in a succinct way.