Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Has anyone received Upstate supplement? If so, what was on it?

What is MS1 and MS2 ?

My D received it. It’s just general information and 1 essay. You’re required to submit it back in 5 days.

The interesting part is you can submit applications through each feeder school separately in the same portal. Not sure how this process works. My daughter was forwarded to Upstate only through one college for now, the other college we will know only in January

Oh interesting. Thank you.

Medical Student in year 1/2, also commonly known as M1, M2

During MD 4 years, folks call 1st year student as MS1 and second year as MS2 (Medical Student n)

It may not be expensive if you get merit aid. Though the list price is high, in general for BS/MD student caliber, they give merit aid any where from $20-30k/year and hence it is will be similar to any other programs like BU Rochester etc., At this stage, simply apply and if get BS/MD admission, evaluate your options in April/May 2021.

My DD thinks her app has been forwarded by more than one SUNY school to Upstate. Seems like she could submit one essay per school, with a different essay each time. Is that advisable or should she pick one school as top preference and submit only for that school, though she may get selected for a different school? Also, how does she find out which schools forwarded her app?

Does anyone know how many people get interviews for GW?

Hmm, not sure. Heard that the essay moo about Upstate than the undergrad so my D thinks it can e the same essay for both. Can anyone advice?

@PPofEngrDr - Thank you so much!

He is young so idealist
 I am glad his personality trait aligns with his chosen profession.

1 Like

@RG1972 - Thank you so much.

Wish your son the very best. He will do well. Its early days and he will get more interview opportunities in the coming months

Some tip for your Son - He will find interviews will become easy with a little bit of prep. We found some “common BS/MD interview questions” on google and asked our S to prepare/think of what to answer using examples from his past experience.

Do ask your S to attend all UG/optional interviews as a prep. You can also conduct mock interviews for your S, at home to prepare him.

1 Like

@rk2017

I agree grade deflation can be a issue in Ivy colleges. Do know kids who had to change course from medicine either with low gpa and being in the end of line for references but on the same side All Ivy colleges except few have Top research funding and their medical schools are cutting edge which favour their own and partner students all the way to residency selection.

We see what what child getsin BS MD race but again kids have their mind but for me what is use doing undergrad with large spend from a Ivy if end goal is medicine

Do you look at doctor from where he did his undergrad ??

@sam2024 - Congratulations!!! on your child’s admission to HYP. With the HYP admission in hand, pursuing T40 med school BSMD is certainly the right thing to do.
Fyi, Legally he can keep all his options open until the decision day of May 1.

@Vicky2019

Thanks yes I am encouraging him to be focused but kids have their own mind but one thing I know he only wants to do medicine only with surgical speciality as he been shadowing Surgeons since eight grade

I have been encouraging him to continue the BS MD application process to see if gets any interviews

1 Like

@Vicky2019
Thank you so much. Sure I will ask him to do the same.

1 Like

Yeah sure that is the right thing to do, to stay the course with BS/MD and other applications. We have had students on this forum who pursued BS/MDs despite having admissions in H,Y, S and M on this forum and some of them did eventually choose BS/MDs. One can make those decisions later in the cycle.

Regarding your other question on what I look for in a doctor, whether where he/she did undergrad or medicine? Neither. To repeat myself from the past, I was once trying to get an ophthalmologist appointment and called up few places. At one of the first few practices I called, was told that there was a 2 month long waiting for new patients and so gave up immediately. I could get appointment at another private practice within a week. So I was intrigued later on and out of curiosity looked up the profiles of both the practices. The doctor who was supposed to see me at the 2 month waiting period place was an OD graduate with ophthalmology residency at the state med school. At the other practice where I got an appointment in a week, one of them was UPenn undergrad and I think double MD in internal medicine and ophthalmology, I think the latter with residency at NYU affiliated hospital. The other partner of his was also from the same hospital.

So a lot depends on the passion they have, the care they show to their patients to whom can be their life long providers, the word of mouth and good name one builds up in their career, more than other aspects of their background.

There is no right or wrong answer in that. It boils down to where your passion is. If you have a drop of doubt about medicine, don’t just pick BS/MD. HYPSM, will open so many other doors as carrier should you decide to change mind. Ofc, if decide to continue medicine, the rigor you faced at HYPSM will make you a better human and better prepared for med school than just pick a school that lacks resources.

Also realize that someone may have interest in research carrier, MD/PhD route is best for them, which typical BS/MD programs doesn’t have an option. An you know which schools provide better resources for research.

@sdsdsdf: I totally concur with everything you said!

@Yashi123: I believe SLU is much more stress free than USF program.

Cost:
USF is very cost effective (with 17K OOS tuition and 12K guaranteed merit, 3 YR UG) unless you get SLU’s full tuition presidential scholarship (with 46K tuition and 25K VP merit, 4YR UG).

MCAT:
USF needs higher (> 515) MCAT score and that too summer after Sophomore year. USF suggests “Since the MCAT is taken after the second year of the 7-Year Program, we strongly encourage students to consider enrolling in accelerated/dual enrollment credits in the areas of psychology, sociology, anthropology, math and/or English. The goal is for students to enter USF with some foundation courses fulfilled, so that they are able to enroll in more advanced MCAT preparatory courses during the first two years at USF”

SLU only needs 500 MCAT which is so easy to achieve, and not even required until summer after the Junior year.

Honors
USF students must complete the Judy Genshaft Honors College a two semester thesis . Needs more time commitment in already compact 3+4 program.

** ECs**
Rigorous volunteering and clinical requirements to matriculate at USF compared to SLU.

Support
SLU has better pre-med support than USF in my opinion.

** Matriculation**
USF: about 15 final matriculants to med program
SLU: about 45-50 final matriculants to med program

Weed out
Lots of folks talk about rigorous weed out process at SLU, but may not be true. Folks think it that way because only 50% of the intake makes into Sophomore year. But that’s because lot of folks that not serious about medicine are in the program as its easy requirements to get in, and many change their mind. And, 90% of the folks that made into Sophomore year and takes interview move on to med school. I don’t think that drop of 50% applies to the serious BSMD candidates on this forum who are determined to be physicians.

Overall:
I prefer SLU over USF (except for the COA)

My advice would be to take the help if friends, colleagues or acquaintances who are strangers to your C than to try to help yourself directly. You can provide them with a list of questions yourself but let them conduct it.

2 Likes