Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

For Upstate you only submit once using any one of the feeders and one $65 fee. The list that you see there is all the feeders. Please see the instructions from Krystal.

1 Like

I don’t think you can know in January. The forwarding decisions to Upstate were due on Dec. 15 as I was told, so I think we can assume that we will not get forwarded again by other schools.

Also, did anyone get forwarded by UatAlbany. I was accepted by them, but received no correspondence about the UAS.

1 Like

Straight from SLU admission counselor response in 2018.

• Roughly 120 students enroll in the Medical Scholars program each year.
  • About 50% of those students leave the program by the time the interviews roll around sophomore year. The majority of the students that leave the program leave because they are no longer interested in being doctors. Counselor don’t have the breakdown between not meeting grade vs. losing interest.
  • Typically 89% of the remaining students are offered spots in the SOM.

If I go with statement that students lose the interest in medicine in just year, very difficult to digest when EAP program is being promoted and SLU enrolls them too. In my view that is more roll the dice approach if anyone is indeed doing that. What is plan B? if you also happen to lose interest.

If I go with grade statement, how is it even difficult to manage minimum required GPA?

In my own internal investigation, GPA was a major culprit than lack of interest after a year. Partly not because SLU BCPM courses are difficult to learn, rather student themselves who are not top of their game and pushed through programs by whatever force. If you are a top student, you will thrive in any EAP program. But if you are a borderline, you will struggle and w/o plan B SLU UG degree won’t get you anywhere.

All I am saying, do your own due diligence before committing to an EAP program.

Couldn’t agree more on the composition of student body in SLU program!

Lot of the BSMD UG schools are not good for Plan B. Need to lock in Plan A and execute it, if one is so passionate of becoming physician.

Hence my statement for Plan B (EAP programs in his context):

If you are good to manage 3.6 GPA at a UG, why bind to a SOM, rather explore your boundaries as colleges truly provides that environment.

If you are not good to manage 3.6 GPA at UG, well writings are on wall, change the carrier, do a SMP post-UG to repair GPA or go to Caribbean medical school w/o any guarantee for residency. I doubt participants on this thread are that desperate.

Call Krystal at Upstate or email her and she will tell you the feeders who recommended your D. Then choose any one of the forwarded feeders and pay the fee. It will not have any bearing on the eventual interview invite from Upstate (with their choice of UG school).

I would also like to know the answer to this question

I thought the student indicate their choice by applying through a specific school. Not sure how much weightage student choice is given though. Does anyone know?

Upstate Supplement-

Of course any of us are going to choose our most favorable school from list of recommended schools. However, it does not play any role.

" reviewed for any/all you are recommended for and will be selected for an interview to one based on their(feeder) ranking and ours."

any idea, how many words I should be writing for Caldwell essays? They asked to submit 2 short essays by Monday. Are these supplemental essays to decide who all would be invited for Caldwell interview or just to include in application packet before forwarding to NJMS? When does Caldwell conduct interviews?

USF offers DO EAP with LECOM until junior year, this could be your Plan B

This is what we see in my daughter’s email to upstate. This email is not from Krystal. It’s an email that came for secondary application from admiss@upstate.edu. In that it states " At the Application Menu screen, select NEW under the application in progress section. Under the Graduate Programs section, select the application through which school you intend to apply. All sections of the application must be completed in order to be considered, along with a $65 application fee. Please note, you will need to submit an application for each school you wish to be considered through.". This sentence is confusing, not sure if this is for even regular route students.

Same here

@mygrad2021: That’s the reason for confusion. That mail content is not correct. Need to check the one sent by Krystal for instructions.

Here is that email, just incase if you never got one with all the difficulties they had in delivering the emails.

Good afternoon!

Thank you all for your patience as we have experienced some technical difficulties with our BS/MD Supplemental Application process for Upstate Accelerated Scholars. A few things to consider as you all should have received your email invitation to fill out the supplemental application by now.

1. Unless you are applying through/recommended by Bard Simon’s Rock or through the 3+4 Syracuse University program, that you will select a term different than Fall 2025 – this will be the default. Please select this term.
  2. If you understand that you were recommended through multiple schools, simply select at least one that you know you were recommended by to move forward with the supplemental. Please do not fear as you will be reviewed for any/all you are recommended for and will be selected for an interview to one based on their ranking and ours. This will also allow you to pay one application fee instead of multiple.
  3. Please complete the supplemental application within 5 days.
  4. If you have any additional documents that you would like considered in your application review, please upload them directly to your application portal as soon as possible.
  5. Despite some confusion, submitting an additional high school transcript is not required.

Thank you again for your understanding.
If you have ANY questions at all, please feel free to respond to this email directly to me!

All my best,
Krystal Ripa

I’m confused about her email - if we applied through RIT would we choose Fall 2024 because it’s a 7-year program?

RIT also has a weird process because the first supplemental with the common app asked for a brief why doctor and the second supplemental asked why Upstate medical school. Now Upstate is asking why do you want early acceptance to upstate. Are we allowed to repeat some parts of our essays?

Thanks @love4bsmd! We received this one too. It states differently in each one so is the confusion. My D thinks she can just submit same essay for both but add both schools that she is applying to and the only thing you loose is additional $65. Not sure if this is the right choice though. :slight_smile:

The SUNY program is relatively new. Are there opinions out there about which college is preferred for matriculating into Upstate from? Syracuse seems like an obvious choice because it is a large well-ranked University. How about the other smaller colleges?

RIT is 4+4 program for Upstate. Except the 2 programs that Krystal specified all other are are 4+4 and hence Fall 2025. Syracuse has both 3+4 and 4+4.

@PPofEngrDr

Is it easy to get into MD or in MD PHD through regular route ?