Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Has anyone here applied to Nova Southeastern BS/DO?

Heard nothing from Purchase

Does anyone know if the Rowan bsmd is worth it?

And does anyone know how many seats there are?

Cooper Medical School (Rowan)
@catvonduhoes @highschooler1

3 Likes

Not us. Probably in January since they are likely closing for holiday time

Does SBU/GW have an in-state preference? Also, does URochester REMS have a preference for perfect scores as I know some programs pretty much only accept 1600 SAT or 36 ACT. Thanks.

I believe MSU does offer a combined BS or BA/DO OMSP program. It is pretty well rated as the other responder described earlier. It used to enroll ~75 kids and my son’s conversation with a counselor suggests they may double it this year.

Hope you find the following links helpful
https://com.msu.edu/future-students/pre-college-programs/osteopathic-medical-scholars

My son did not hear from Purchase but apparently while sending supplement, Krystal mentioned my son’s application was forwarded by Purchase.

Both programs do take both IS and OOS.

They do take students who are not perfect 1600/36. It is a holistic process and not just by GPA/Scores alone. This is true for most of the programs including CWRU, BU including UPitt (though their site will say applicant need perfect score). Check all old threads result there are students who are not perfect scores admitted.

thank you

MSU OMSP is not a guaranteed DO program for high school seniors. It is for MSU UG students who can apply but still may have to go through AMCAS. It is definitely a top DO program like the UNT and PCOM.

I think they still have a tie up with some affiliated undergrad institution for 3+4 program, haven’t been following recently. But I think Michigan State had this program till last year, may be discontinued bcoz of covid or permanently. My knowledge is not wide and deep in BS/DO programs.

Just out of curiosity, since every BSMD applicant is told to have Plan B, what is your DC’s Plan B if anyone is willing to share?

My son is applying to a mix of BSMD programs, safeties and reaches. I’ve told him that if he doesn’t get into a BSMD program to consider being a pre-med as an engineering major so that if he doesn’t get into med school directly from undergrad and needs to take gap time, that he can do it in an actual profession (rather than scribing, getting a masters in something he isn’t very passionate about, etc). Lots of ways to get to the finish line in this race.

Yes, I applied. Interview scheduled in Jan.

What is UNT?

Plan B is pre-med at instate public college. Get a good GPA and MCAT, aka the regular route.

My son is currently filling out the supplement for SUNY Upstate and he only say the following question/essay

Why are you interested in applying for an early acceptance to medical school at Upstate Medical University?

Is there a word count and are there any other essays anyone else has received?
Thanks

Plan A : be a doctor
Plan B : marry a doctor.

Besides joke, if you have a little doubt in medicine, pick a UG where alternate career interests path explore is possible.
Very determined to medicine, pick a UG where you can maintain good GPA, state schools are generally easy ones, for medical schools, photography and CS are same value as both needs to furnish premed requisites.
A CS 3.5 GPA is as good as Photography 3.5 GPA.
If eng, business,law etc are not interest to student, can explore other career paths within healthcare. This is my son’s Plan B.