Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

My son got accepted in Temple UG and Hons program. I believe they were posted on the Temple portal with in a few weeks difference. There is no separate application . See below excerpt from their application website:

Applicants to the Pre-Med Health Scholar Program must apply during their senior year of high school. To apply, interested students must first submit an application to Temple University for undergraduate admission AND then submit an application to the Pre-Med Health Scholar Program. Apply early. We strongly encourage students to apply for undergraduate admission by the Early Action deadline (November 1st). In order to be considered for a Health Scholar interview in February 2020, you must have already been accepted to Temple University and to Temple’s Honors Program by January. There is no separate application for the Honors Program. Students are automatically considered for the honors program at their time of submitting an undergraduate application to Temple University. All applications and supplemental materials for the Pre-Med Health Scholar Program must be received by December 13th, 2019 11:59 EST.

Good to know. DD was admitted to UG less than 2 weeks ago, so I guess the Honors admission might still be in the works :slight_smile:

Thank you for adding ACPHS.
Bad on my part to miss it out as its one of the schools recommended DC.

ACPHS did inform via email and calls when forwarded to Upstate.

My DD was interviewed by SUNY ESF, one of the smaller SUNYs, and is particular about that UG feeder into Upstate. She understands Upstate will make the decision, but is curious if there is any way she can convey her interest. She already did submit the Supplement through ESF on the Upstate Portal.

1 Like

If you already did December test date, results are sent to Hofstra. Most of us here rushed it for Dec test date based on varying wording they had on website and suggestions from AOs that last date to receive everything is January 15th.

However, last week’s bsmd supplement email from Hofstra mentioned last CASper test date is January 17th. So, if you have not taken it yet, please take on the only available date for the year.

@doctorpenguin
Congratulations on acceptance into Toledo bacc2md program

@rk1235rk - Penn State PMM students could qualify for NMF scholarship. Its usually $2500. OOS students don’t get any other scholarships as far as i know

There are some scholarships (including merit scholarships) but usually given to either in-state or their Schreyers Honors college students.

1 Like

My son’s letter said he is admitted and is awarded the Dean’s Scholarship too. But I did not see Honors anywhere .

Do they take lot of OOS for their bsmd program? Many of us would likely be ok with the higher fees and lower scholarship (ouch of course) to get a seat. Like someone said, sell an organ if needed :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

@doctorpenguin - No preference is given to in-state students. There are a total of 10 seats and these are all open to all students equally (instate or oos)

Is NJ considered in-state or OOS for Temple? I heard some Penn schools and NJ schools consider some nearby states as in-state, ans from your handle name, guessing you are from NJ.

Thank you @Vicky2019, 10 seems like such a small number. Meep!!

1 Like

I am from NJ . I think Temple considers NJ as Out of state . The admission letter also had the words “Out of state scholarship”.

For Undergrad , would University of Pittsburgh be considered higher than Temple university ranking?

Please call Honors at Temple about her. As far as, I know all BSMD students are also admitted to Honors.
There is no separate application for incoming first-year students. All first-year students are reviewed for admission to the University Honors Program when they apply to Temple University. Reviews continue on a rolling basis throughout the admissions cycle. You will be notified of acceptance to the Honors Program on TUPortal. Contact Info for Honors:
215-204-0710 (phone)
215-204-0711 (fax)
honors@temple.edu

Yes, NJ residents are OOS. Did your student get any merit scholarship ? You have to decide if selected for Temple BSMD, whether to enroll at Temple. IMO, Rutgers-NB is a very good choice for regular UG premed for a NJ resident compared to your other options mentioned in the post.

@highschoolinnj - Since temple is in philly, PA, all other states are considered OOS I would think.

Usnews ranked Upitt as #58 and Temple as #103 this year. The ranks do change every year by a few ranks. So, take them as per your discrition.

No, I think @Vicky2019 was alluding to earlier query about Stony Brook. With regards to Penn State PMM about which guess you were asking, the intake is around 25-30. Apparently in a particular year it was over enrolled with most of those offered acceptance enrolling and the BS/MD class size reaching 40+.

Even though they don’t give out much scholarships, students who finish up their course work early with their AP/IB credits and enroll in research won’t be charged it seems. So not a bad deal at all. Also great undergrad experience and a good private med school.

2 Likes

No, all other neighboring states are OOS for tuition purposes. The medical school tuition is less than 3.5k more for OOS($53,406 vs $56,628 for OOS). It seems there is not much of a subsidy for medical school from public funds.

1 Like

The UG fees are different significantly, in-state vs out-of-state is about $20k/year difference, but they do seem to offer reasonable scholarships to help, which is considerate of Temple.

1 Like

Did anyone receive any update from St. Bonaventure BS/MD? We got a reject letter asking if we would like to be considered for LECOM BS/DO program.