Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Agreed. I meant if there is only one essay that asks “why medicine” and there is not a “why this program essay.”

@Futurdoc - Most of the colleges do ask both the questions. However, if they don’t ask “Why this college/program” - then, it makes sense to talk about why you want to be a Doctor and feel this particular program will help in achieving your goal

@biomeds do you mind telling me which bs/md programs are test-optional?

@Vicky2019 Okay. Do you have any personal suggestions from the top of your head for bs/md programs?

Apply to both Howard and Sophie Davis, since part of their missions is to promote the participation of URMs.

Then go through each of the programs and try to get a feel of what they may be looking for (also refer to past results threads) and shortlist based on your own background and likely match. If for example you have had some exposure to research, RPI/AMC may be a good fit. If you have lot of service related activities, VCU and so on. There are a lot of good programs to choose from. You may have to also factor in if finances are going to be an issue or not.

Also let your parents or friends do the leg work for you while you focus on test preparations for the next 2-3 months.

Don’t count much on test optional. You may still be disadvantaged if you don’t submit any test scores while everyone else applying there does.

Also as an URM can add Brown PLME to your list if you can manage to get ACT to 32 or above or SAT 1450 or above.

@speedyliv -
I noticed your profile. You have leadership, volunteering, shadowing, summer programs and academic Conferences. I noticed you don’t have research. You may want to skip colleges that focus on research like RPI/AMC

Choose widely from this list and look at the requirements for each program .
https://www.■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■/BA_MD_programs.html

Some selection criteria could be -

AMC also offers other programs with Siena and Union. One of these may be a good option for you since Siena looks for service and Union looks for leadership

Like @rk2017 mentioned Sophie Davis, Howard are good options

Colleges that do not have interview-

Augusta professional Scholars program
California Northstate
Toledo
Seton hall

BS/MD programs with ED option-

Brown (you commit to UG if they offer a seat for UG and not BSMD)
Wayne State Med Direct

BS/MD programs test optional (I am not sure…others might be able to help)

Case western
Boston University
Brown maybe?

I’ve heard that the California Northstate program is super shady. Is there any truth to that?

@9the0girl7 Cal Northstate is for-profit and there is stigma associated with that. My son got in a few years back and did not go there because when we visited the campus looked like a Costco warehouse. People do go into the program and are likely successful. If one is head over heels for the BS/MD guarantee then I would say go there, but if not I don’t recommend it. There are some SDN and other websites forums that have covered this topic before too.

Question for everyone: has anyone heard of ORM kids on here whose hook for these programs was sports? I wanted to reach out as my daughter has been doing sports and is quite good but it’s not a traditional sport so maybe it would give her an edge. She enjoys doing it and that was why she joined, not to give her an edge or anything. Thanks.

IMO, it can help to project a well rounded applicant to admission committee. Not much of a boost to compensate for poor stats if stats are not stellar. The student’s essays like “why medicine”, “why bsmd” and “why this particular program” will have more influence than sports and/or arts participation. Medical schools are looking for maturity, motivation and exposure to medicine in applicants not sport ability, to predict who can succeed in medical school.

Rather take a chance via regular route MD. Work hard and get a GPA >= 3.8 and have a MCAT score > 517 and you will have nearly 88% probability of getting admitted into at least one medical school.

Yes, sports can help you stand out from a pool of candidates with similar academic and ECs backgrounds. They convey one’s physical and mental staminae doing these things while still excelling in studies. But not sure about non traditional sport you were mentioning.

Remember seeing the profile of a student in this year’s thread with sports excellence. Think he/she got into Brown PLME and few others. May want to private message for any helpful suggestions. There were one or two more with Karate black belts, Marching band etc.

Read my post #358 a few pages back.
It gives an indication of how URochester views the test optional situation. Read the last line of that response.

Most colleges follow the same logic with test-optional - if you do not submit, they automatically assume your score is low.

I believe most folks on this forum agree that CNU is best avoided.

Can some one share a list of colleges, offer Early decision application for BS/MD?

There are not many with ED for bsmd. Brown PLME is the most often mentioned. If you apply ED with brown PLME and get into Brown only but not PLME, you have to join Brown and say good bye to your bsmd dream. So ask, what is more important BSMD or Brown before going ED with Brown ?

@NoviceDad So i should submit my 26 test score (if i were to not get any higher) because of that logic?

@Vicky2019 Thank you. At my school, we were not given ANY research opportunities or anything along those lines. So I can see why I am lacking in that area. However, are you telling me to look away at AMC?

Your score is too low. You may take a risk by NOT submitting your score for all test-optional applications.
MAY BE - being an URM - not submitting may work in your favor.

Who knows what they will assume in the context of admissions this year.

But work to get your score up - ideally ACT >=32 - in your next attempt.