Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

IMO, it seems that main beneficiary from HPME were well-to-do ORMs. These ORMs are still competitive for regular MD at NU except for no MCAT benefit under HPME. IMO, it is the risk-averse folks who complain the most about the demise of HPME. If you like NU medical school so much, you can still apply after taking MCAT via regular MD route. You are not deprived of the opportunity to get a MD from NU.

FYI, even other BSMD programs besides BU and PLME will not allow applying out while keeping your BSMD seat.

1 Like

That is certainly scary, but one should wonder why SOM should devalue their own UG. In fact UMich is known for getting more of its UGs, albeit through traditional route.
Wonder why they didn’t announce along with HPME .

Can we also add Nova Southeastern to this?

HYP have a different criteria for selection. Most ORMs who get selected into BSMD, probably do not make it into Ivies.

@Smilescreen, Did you really receive it on Monday or was it in spam earlier? They have 5 days time limit for you to submit Upstate supplements and from your details I understand that today is the 5th day if it was really Monday you received your supplements. Upstate process is really messed up but I would think consider it as their emails are messed up and they know that. Please check with them on Monday. I would suggest you to email Ms. Ripa instead of calling as she has been very prompt in responding to emails.

@Smilescreen Sorry, if you missed the 5 day deadline for submitting the supplement.

We received it on Monday late evening and it was in Spam. She did check with Ripa and she said she need to send it by 26th. She completed it and entered all the details yesterday and was about to submit it in the morning. She emailed Ripa and she is not back until Jan 4th.

1 Like

Does it matter, Dec 25 is a holiday followed by weekend ? University should be closed during this period.

Hmm, I am new to all this too.

@NoviceDad

I am confused, if HPME is dominated by work-study or low income students what’s the need to cancel it in the name of diversity?

I hear the term ORM (over represented minority) regularly, and realized I don’t know who typically falls into it. Could someone shed some light?

Specifically, would my DD (Indian origin American female) be considered an ORM?

Breaking news 
 For the first time in 25 years, Congress will increase the number of residency spots
by 1000

Just search online as external links are prohibited.

1 Like

Yes, Your DD and along with other Asians are main constituents of ORM. It means they are presented in medical school and other prestigious institutions ( read Ivies) more than their share in the general population.

ORM is Over Represented in Medicine based on official URM definition Under Represented in Medicine by AMCAS.
Few facts:
Asian are 23% in Medicine but population is <5%.
Vs
Blacks and Hispanic representation in medicine only 6-7% each vs their much bigger population.

Yes your DD is ORM by popular understanding, there is no official ORM definition.
In fact majority participants on this thread are ORM.

There is no funding in place as of now for next fiscal year. The congress has to fund all residencies.

more like 99% :slight_smile:

That’s only time I agree with magic number 99 :rofl:

3 Likes

Yea, but most likely will help medical students who are heading for residency in 2-3 years from now, eventually the rural communities where healthcare is most needed. If cities crowded with more Drs, it will drive down prices, essentially good for consumers.

Here is official statement from AAMC to support the residency spots increase

With step 1 going p/f and more residencies, US MDs are expected to benefit a lot. I heard 2000 MDs from 2020 did not place in any residency - that’s such a shame. Everyone knows we don’t have enough doctors. I guess they’re hoping to address that by adding 1000 more residencies and evening out residency selection by making sure IMGs don’t take more than a reasonable share of residency spots by making usmle step 1 p/f? Seems reasonable. Many folks I know (most docs I know) were IMGs, but I understand if these steps help ensure US Medical school grads find adequate opportunities when they graduate.