Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

will be I Interesting to see the break of these 1000 new spots as regards to general medicine vs speciality residencies

Also few new medical colleges have come up in last few years within US and still we have demand for out of US graduates and what you think will be their fate in next 10 years ?

How you differentiate the talent in medicine ?

Used to be step 1, now it will be step 2 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Besides Step 2, more emphasis on other factors like performance during rotations, recommendation letters, AOA ( medical school honor society membership), ranking within the program etc.

Lot of them match thru supplemental match process so I don’t think numbers are that high. Some don’t match due to applying to wrong programs or specialties just like some Ivy students not getting into medical school (and constantly used by some advocates :slight_smile: ) . Never go by just numbers. Every one I know matched last year (that includes Caribbean and Indian grads).

Agree we don’t know breakdown yet, the million dollar question is still how to incentivize these grads to actually go and practice in rural communities where the physician shortage is the worst. As it says devil is in details.
New medical colleges are like startup companies, takes years before goes to mainstream and matured.

I read somewhere 6000 MDs didn’t match in first pass, and of those, 2000 MDs that graduated are now unemployed as they couldn’t find any residency. So looks like 4000 matches at the last minute but 2000 got left out. Likely had some issues with their scores or recos or some unfavorable mark on their letter but that is still a large number, isn’t it. Don’t we have just 20k residencies each yesr or something? So that’s 10%!!

I think medicine needs innovation like technology and talent has to segregated

We need physicians for procedural things but we need to compensate academic medicine better like technology and startups do

1 Like

Agree it has been complained a lot that medicine dictated by Ivory chairs disconnected from realities.

NJMS 2024 profile has UG GPA 3.7 and MCAT 514, guess their BSMD’s MCAT score were not all 99%. There is no minimum MCAT specified for matriculation to NJMS for BSMDs.

1 Like

Straight from nrmp site

Who are these additional applicants? Are we starting that many new medical schools in US? Why do that without increasing residencies?

1 Like

This article throws some light on the topic.
https://www.nrmp.org/2020-press-release-thousands-resident-physician-applicants-celebrate-nrmp-match-results/

NJMS program doesn’t have a minimum scores so my older daughter didn’t stress out about it too much, but they did do some group study. My DD got 94 percentile score and 3.9x GPA. She said that is typical of her other BSMD friends too, and some got higher percentile in MCAT.

2 Likes

So how one measures strength for SOM? just from numbers POV, when traditional pool averages are much lower than BS/MDs, it is a big red flag. Only few BS/MDs stands out from that perspective, WashU, HPME and may be 1-2 more. But rest are attracting top talent by virtue of MD seat offering who otherwise won’t even consider their UGs.
IIRC, a BS/MD from AMC or other school posted that not all BS/MDs actually matriculated to MD school, most likely they are too good for that school and probably made right decision to apply out, GPA is highly unlikely to be an issue.
Ofc, SOM biggest outcome is residency match but fortunately numbers are not exclusively available between 2 routes, so it is just speculation to argue either way, but just sheer number of traditional route MDs have heavy weight.

that indeed sounds more realistic then idealistic.

That’s a million dollar question not being addressed by Ivory chairs

Here is hoping we are all busy discussing residency matches 6, 7 or 8 years from now. All the best to us :blush:

2 Likes

Lots of different topis being discussed today and is little bit off the rail, but that will provide an insight to hopeful high schoolers the reality dose of medicine field. Most of them do not even know some of terminology, which is expected, hence these are helpful for overall community.

True. Christmas and so no new admissions, supplements or updates to expect, hence the banter :wink:

True and that should be a factor in deciding what program you commit too