Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Its virtual. Two slots of 20-25 mins each.

Congratulations! You have been selected to attend an interview with SUNY Upstate Medical University. This virtual interview will help us further evaluate your qualifications for admission to our College of Medicine.

Does any one one know Interview format for Drexel and AMC BSMD interviews -MMI or traditional interviews?

As per the report “The 94 percent PGY-1 match rate for U.S. MD seniors has been consistent for many years.”
Even that is not 99 that one should hope after spending 7-8 years minimum for MD degree but can’t even get an internship.

The biggest reason why the new residency slots (or at least the proposal for the new residency slots) is that it will allow for the physician shortage to be filled by physicians rather than NPs and PAs. NPs and PAs are valued members of the healthcare team but too many states are allowing for them to have unsupervised autonomy (i.e., allow them practice independently without oversight of a physician) which of course is leading to train wreck patient outcomes. Personally, I fix NP and PA mistakes almost daily.

There have been a number of new NP, PA, DO and MD programs opened in the past 10-15 years and many of these programs (especially online NP programs) are of dubious quality. A 21st century Flexner report (which is what led to reform of underperforming MD programs a hundred years ago) is hopefully coming for these diploma mill online NP programs.

Expanding the number of MD/DO residency slots is a vital aspect of protecting patients from unsupervised NP and PA practice so this announcement is a big deal.

1 Like

Same thing happened to me too! I received the supplemental application on Monday and Mrs Ripa said that I would have 5 days from Monday to submit. However when I tried to submit it today it says no applications available. Any suggestions for what to do since she is not available by email?

@srk2017

They are still not able to attract African Americans and Hispanic Americans.
Diversity nowadays means attracting these two groups.
BTW - for many people Asians do not count as minorities!

Colleges which claim 90% of their students get into medicine:

Please ask them these follow-up questions:

• What percentage of students were denied Committee Letters, if they give one?
  • What percentage of students were alumni with atleast 1 gap year?

For example, Yale has 82% of students getting into medical school.
It is nearly double the national average.
BTW - only about 150-160 kids from Yale apply to medical school any given year.

However, >75% of students have >1 gap year, higher than the national average of 59%.
You will find similar stats at UPenn, John Hopkins, or Duke.

This begs the question - why do smart kids at Yale i.e. nearly 75% of them feel the need to take gap year(s)?
Remember these students survived orgo, biochem and other weed out classes.
Surely not all of them got admitted because of ECs or are legacy.
And I find it hard to believe these 75% of kids - all of them had issues with their grades.

2 Likes

Because HPME decision was taken in haste!

BTW - all the very best to your S for NUPSP.
It exists this year!

1 Like

Unfortunately, with holidays no one is available. Since it is a system issue, hopefully they may look into it. We sent an email to Ripa and admissions and waiting. We make the payment to be on the safe side.

1 Like

Personally I think ORM is just an excuse to deny/filter meritorious candidates from certain groups. If they want more URMs in the medical field they should first train them to be competitive in high school. Some groups dominate certain sports where others are poorly represented so is anyone doing something about it? I understand sports requires certain physical attributes just like how medicine requires mental resilience. My two cents…

Last year - Drexel was MMI and AMC was traditional.

1 Like

Fact is most Adcoms do not think that way.

From my limited experience at my kids school (K-12), there are some folks who actively try to sabotage Asian student successes.

Here are the actual % scores for MCAT for illustration. One point is equivalent to 1% at higher score level. There is not much difference statistically after 96%( score >= 518 are almost identical in quality), IMO.

Thanks, to our surprise, NUPSP , first time ever allowed MD/PhD (MSTP) application, this was sticking point for my son to go through that route or not, but it cleared the hurdle at least to apply, otherwise it was MD only and in Feinberg can later add MPH, MBA likes joint degree, but not PhD. Hoping for best but Plan B is kicked in parallel to cover the bases.

2 Likes

Great for your S. Why can one not add a graduate degree like PhD during MD ? May be an extra PhD funding was an issue. Some programs tend to recruit MD/PhD from first year MD class.

Is the SUNY Upstate BS/MD application portal not working for anyone? It says “no on-line applications currently available for BS-MD.” My application which was in progress is no longer present for some odd reason.

Same with me and another applicant in this forum! It seems all the SUNY upstate offices are currently closed for the holidays so they aren’t replying to any emails. Hopefully they will fix the issue since so many of us are having that same problem…

Thank you @NoviceDad

@NoviceDad

They are probably not attracting minorities given the increased requirements for ECs and test scores.

I know most Asians are not counted as URMs :slight_smile: My experience with attending couple of interviews it’s 80% Asians (mainly and Indians and Chinese) are willing to spend half million $ for these programs to mitigate risk. I believe original intent of these programs is not risk aversion but give early path to disadvantaged students.

I have no issue with anyone applying to these programs (my son applied too).

1 Like

Just to be on the safe side, we made the payment.