Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Thank you. It seems Caldwell is going through interview process. They are behind NJIT, TCNJ. Do you know how many names they forward to NJMS.

I think perspective wise, it was always going to be an insanely small chance. The Ivy Leagues have a higher admission rate than the BSMD programs. I don’t see it as a rejection so much as sheer numbers. And the whole process is crazy. I was just talking today about how my kid got into a T10 via REA but got rejected from Temple’s honor program. It just seems absurd. But that’s the whole process- a lot of rejection for little hope. TO use the corny breakup phrase, it really isn’t her.

2 Likes

@mom2boys1999 : How would you know if you get rejected from Temple honors?

They notified students of Honors college acceptance along with their traditional undergrad acceptance. Both notifications should be on their portal. We confirmed he did not get accepted by contacting his adcom. It stinks even more because he went to a lot of effort to make that video for the Health Scholars, ugh.

For the other schools: NJIT Honors College acceptance showed up on the portal, FAU Honors came in a letter, USF Honors came in a letter, VCU Honors came in a letter.

We didn’t get accepted to Temple Honors. We thought it is rolling, good to know it is not :stuck_out_tongue: . One more thing I may not share with DD.

If he applied through REA, my understanding is that he cannot apply anywhere other than state schools, right?

no you just can’t apply to any other private universities, public’s work

I was also thinking that Temple is still considering admission for Honors college. Seems strange. Honor college admission should not have been that difficult looking at statistic of BS/MD kids in this forum. If they would not have called for interview after Honors college admission, it was more acceptable. Seems my D also got rejected from Honors. We will call on Monday to confirm on this.

Yep, FAU’s website shows new deadline of Jan 15, 2021

To get some comfort, I strongly advise you to read several success stories posted in " Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants".
I read some, In Summary, Here is What I understood:
1.Cast Wider Net if you (D or S) are (is) serious about getting in BSMD.
2.You may be rejected by relatively low rated BSMD institutions and get accepted by the top institutions. Quite Possible.
3.If you are OOS then watch out for the number of BSMD seats available (avg) in an institution, before investing time in applying to that institution. CommonApp part is very minimal to moderate, but most BSMD applicants spend quite a bit of time writing essays for Honors College (which is must for some BSMD programs), and/or submitting a separate application for BSMD, and/or writing additional essays for scholarship programs (in some cases).
4.Be Patient and all you need is at least one interview call and/or one acceptance.

Good Luck!

3 Likes

We were forwarded from NJIT to NJMS. My son did not get interview invite from NJMS as of now. He had applied to Stevens and Rutger also. As of now we have not heard anything from Stevens and Rutger about forwarding application. My son was asked to apply to Rutger Honors. Should I assume that our NJMS journey is over and we don’t need to spend time in applying to Rutget Honors because he plans to go to Rutger only if he gets into bs/md. Will appreciate any advise.

Has anyone heard from Stevens?

Same here dint share!

No. We r also waiting on Steven’s. When I contacted the AD office they said 2nd week of Jan u will hear if selected for interview. Also heard they have only 1 BSMD seat from Steven’s

Oh
we did not know they had only one seat

For second round of NJMS selection, if you are not selected from one school, are you out for other feeder schools also or you still have a shot?

I think NJMS only interviews once whichever maybe the feeder school.

Doesn’t sound right that Stevens will have only 1 seat for BS/MD with NJMS. They usually range from 5-20 per feeder depending on which feeder.

It may be quite possible though, that for a given feeder with a relatively low allotment, not all the 5 slots may be filled in a particular year, since some of the students may have multiple BS/MD acceptances and go elsewhere.

My question was if NJMS does not select you for interview through one feeder school, do you have a chance to be selected for NJMS interview from second feeder school?

I think in the interest of time and effort, NJMS may wait for the forwards from multiple feeders and review them all together. If they have had reviewed from any one of the feeders and marked your review as completed, it is unlikely they will consider you again from a different feeder which may forward your package later on.

1 Like