Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Still waiting too… I think the PMM Financial Aid Session is snake bit…

I somehow got an interview. Based on the calendar, I would estimate that about 70 students got one overall.

I am still seeing “The host has another meeting in progress” message

It’s 20 minutes past the hour, doesn’t look like PMM Financial Aid Session is going to happen today.

2 Likes

I’m glad the student interviews and sessions went on without issues. I’m sure they’ll send out another invite for parents another day, if not today.

2 Likes

Are you children done with their interviews?

I don’t think so. My DD said she is in the session till 3pm, so she would still be in the session.

1 Like

Stony Brook Update

Finally spoke to an admissions counselor.
Here are how the deadlines line up:

Jan 15: Deadline for submitting common app
Feb 1: Deadline for submitting supplemental essays via its portal

3 Likes

This is what I received just now

Sorry about this! The zoom account was apparently overbooked and unfortunately the session has to be cancelled. We are so sorry for the inconvenience today and will reach out with more information about any rescheduling or work-arounds.

1 Like

Mine is done for the day. Each of his interview lasted about 25min.

2 Likes

Good to know. Hope your kid very well.

Finished both. Student interview was about 25 min. Faculty interview was 30 min on the dot.

3 Likes

They asked expected questions. Nothing unusual, it was very relaxed. Now it’s a waiting game.

4 Likes

Same here for my daughter

2 Likes

My D also just finished her PMM interviews. Both student and faculty lasted 25-30 mins. D says that the whole session since morning was really informative and interviews were very informal.

@Vicky2019 or others, any idea approx. when we will hear about PMM results? I remember you saying that it was one of the first ones last year that came out with results. How many days/weeks after today can we expect the results?

1 Like

Re: Number of acceptances from the same high school

To add a little more on this from what I think. Let’s say the target of PMM this cycle is to extend acceptances to 50. After the interview of 80-100, they short list and arrive at a number. Say it is the magical 50 (± 5). So they don’t really have to do anything further, simply extend offers to all of them and expect half of them will enroll (though in the past some ~80% enrolled). Possible multiple students (usually 2 max) from same school make this cut.

Let’s say they arrive at a figure of 65. Then they will have a second pass at the applications where in they may look if any of the selected ones from the same school, review their entire packets including the essays and interviews and may offer admission to 1 usually. If there are multiple students from the same school equally good in all aspects 2 of them may make the cut. That way they may bring down the number closer to the intended target.

If it still doesn’t meet the target, they may have another pass through from the above iteration whereby they may look again as to what are the factors more important for the mission of their program (diversity, maturity, nature of ECs etc, etc) and decide based on that.

My DD said she enjoyed the whole event including the interviews. The interviewer indicated to DD it will be a couple of months before they communicate decisions.

1 Like

I think mid feb

1 Like

@rk1235rk - Last year, S had the interview on Jan-15 and the results were release on Feb-15.

Thanks. So I guess we should expect something by mid-feb.

If your daughter was told 2 months, then it is likely the results will be in 2 months.

Last year, they informed on Jan-15 itself that the results will be release on Feb-15.

1 Like