Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Hard to believe that no one ever had trouble meeting GPA requirements with the organic chemistry stress at BU.

Nonetheless, GPA requirement should not deter anyone to join any BS/MD program. It should be used only when deciding between programs if one has multiple acceptances.

I am confused, why do students need to dress up for information session?

It actually starts much earlier than that, 1st and 2nd semester chemistry courses (and others) are tough too. Actually Orgo wonā€™t be much of an issue for most in the program after going through the earlier grinds.

Because they may not have sufficiently enough time between the information session and the interviews.

I spoke to BU a few minutes ago. They told me interview calls will go out until Feb. Even if there is a rejection they will let us know. Hope this helps.

7 Likes

Any word from GW for anyone?

Thanks. So we still have hope.

2 Likes

When do uconn interviews come out?

I do not believe everyone gets interview.

I went with my DS to SMED interview a few years ago.
They said a few students get bounced each year because they couldnā€™t meet the GPA requirements.
They recommended at the first sign of trouble in a class, seek help.
The students that washed out didnā€™t seek help until it was too late to turn things around.
They hunkered down and dug their holes deeper instead of seeking outside counseling.
Some are used to being the best at their high school and are unsettled when encountering all the talented people in SMED

Finally got the call from BUā€¦ Interview scheduledā€¦ All, donā€™t lose any hope for BU.

8 Likes

your donā€™t lose hope paid off! Waiting for our call now!!

1 Like

If one were to call AMC about application status, who would they call? Should we contact undergrad institution or AMC directly? Is it worth calling since we have received neither interview nor rejection?

To people who got BU call and scheduled the interview over the phone, do you get email later about details and times you picked? My D forgot to askā€¦ Others, when BU call comes, they ask you to pick the interview time right then (over the phone).

1 Like

Congratulations :+1:

Just received interview invitation from Union/AMC. If I understand correctly, are all interviewees required to visit physically?

Yeah competition with fellow SMEDs, all of them super achieving can be daunting. Especially both the Physics classes which are held exclusively for this group and taught by a super smart prof. (not sure if he still teaches for SMEDs). Donā€™t know the stats but the grading is relative within the 20-30 students of this group and potentially the bottom 1/3 rd of the class can end up in C range grades. It seems he apparently warned once that if he feels the current batch is not on par or better than previous batches he had taught, he would slide the scale of grading lower.

The chemistry classes are not exclusive and taken along with the regular undergrad students, but by no means push aways. The premeds are super motivated to succeed (since they donā€™t have any such guarantees), some of them presidential scholars, chemistry majors, well prepared for colleges by their rigorous high schools, perfect scores in AP Chemistry and subject tests etc.

no. Its a virtual interview.

Yes, they send an email a couple days later with all the dates you scheduled! Good luck!

so any updates from UIC GPPA?