Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Does getting an interview earlier or later have to do with how high or low someone is on the priority list for admission? Or is everyone at the same level at the interview stage no matter the timing of the interview invite?

UAlbany UG decision for us was on Nov 24th.

On January 14th we got an email saying that
“We received a record number of applications for a limited number of opportunities. I regret that you were not among those recommended for consideration to Upstate Medical University”.

Congratulation on your VCU interview!

@harvester50 - IMO, at the interview stage - they either select the student or not. It is a binary decision at this stage. Usually most students attend interviews if they receive invitation at this stage.

Based on my observation -
Some programs follow a rolling process - they make decisions as they process the applications. In such cases, they keep inviting over a few days/weeks. (BU, RPI)

Some other programs send all interview invites on a single day (Case western, U of R)

On the other hand, the process changes for admission/acceptances. Since no student accepts admission to all the colleges they get in, BS/MD programs usually offer admission to atleast 2 times the number of students or have a wait list… which is kind of a priority list.

1 Like

Did anyone receive NJMS interview through NJIT/TCNJ?

Many did but no one has responded on whether their interview was with TCNJ, NJIT or some other feeder, or multiple.

1 Like

The reason may be that no one knows for sure but one can speculate only based on timing of interview invite from NJMS. The order may be NJIT in first wave, TCNJ second wave and others sprinkled after first wave, IMO. One can inquire and can get definitive answer from NJMS medical school admission office.

2 Likes

When does the University of Rochester usually send out the interview invites? If the applicants are not invited, do they inform about admission to UR at the same time?

Congratulations to all who got VCU, GW, AMC interviews.

UofR - REMS: Last year, it came out during Last week of Jan.
Yes, they inform whether you are selected or rejected.

NJMS interviews are rolling.
Some folks have received interview invites.
I believe most of these are through NJIT feeder school.

1 Like

I was forwarded through NJIT but have not heard back yet - can I assume that I have been rejected?

We are in same situation.

NO - NJMS is rolling.
There is not explicit logic on who gets called first for interviews.
I have seen NJIT forwarded folks getting interviewed by NJMS in March.

Does anyone know how many students go to NJMS from Stevens?

Probably you can count on fingers in one hand, IMO.

yup, same -rejected

5 from Stevens is what we heard.

VCU rejection for us as well.

Can we do a roll call?
DD
From VA
Sbu/GW - interview invited to sbu
Union/amc - interview invited to AMC
Tcnj/njit/stevens-rejected njms
Pitt, penn , vcu - rejected

Thanks and best wishes to all the kids!!

3 Likes

Good luck for the interviews! When did you hear about rejection from TCNJ/NJIT/Stevens? Was it before undergrad interview or after forwarding to NJMS?

Sure:

NJ Resident
Penn State/Jeff: Interviewed, waiting for final decision
TCNJ/NJIT + NJMS: Forwarded to NJMS, waiting for interview/rejection
Siena/AMC: Forwarded to AMC, invited to submit supplement, waiting for interview
Drexel: Forwarded to medical school, waiting for interview/rejection

Rejected from VCU, GWU, Pitt

2 Likes