Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

@rara-avis I totally agree with you that juniors got most affected by the situation. Many had so much lined up for summer and beyond (including my DD) and now everything got cancelled. We were counting on summer for my DD to do research at a local university (that she had worked so hard to get) but now. But luckily, she was done with her SAT/ACT before all this started. I can feel the frustration of students who are still not done with theirs.

@rara-avis

Definitely you can contain the overall cost. It needs a clear planning, compromise, risk taking. Here are my suggestions.

1. Focus on UG expense in selecting the BS/MD or regular UG schools. Invariably you can not control the cost for MD but definitely you can control the cost in UG. Apply to any BS/MD programs where NMS or Merit Aid is given. Example: OU, Tulsa, UAB, StonyBrook, Few other NY. Few private schools also give $20-30K but they are only teasers. Because they will say the tuition is $50k and still it will come as a high price. Example: Union, Rochester, CWRU.

There is nothing wrong in choosing public schools and not to hung up on private schools alone.

1. Choose programs which give flexibility to apply out. Example: RPI/AMC, OU
  2. Choose programs which are in a state, where it is relatively easy to become in state resident. Example: OH, TX. Avoid states which are practically impossible to become IS: Example: OK

Half luck, half planning and risk taking, we managed to spend only $150k for the entire BA/MD/MPH for my Child for 7 years including R&B. Actually only $100k from our pocket since we did 529 plan which grew to @150k.

Another practical state easy to become in state for med school portion is NJ.
OH and TX are not ideal states to hope to get into the programs based there because of too few seats in Baylor programs and too heavy in state preference for Cincy while Case is private anyways.

Luck plays too big a role to get into TX med schools even traditional route because of heavy preference for in state students. Myself know couple of students with superlative credentials and in state TX who couldn’t get into to the likes of Baylor via traditional route, even though it is private.

As @GoldenRock suggested if your C is NMF apply to OU, UAB, TULSA bsmd. In addition, apply to all three NY state, RPI/AMC(with ~25k merit aid), NJMS and Temple bsmd programs. For other pricey programs, you as a parent may have to take out hefty Direct Plus loans for UG portion.

Looks like OU and Tulsa both lead to same medical school (Uni. of Ok). and Tulsa takes 5 and OU 5-8 students. Pretty small intake as compared to some other programs. Is Temple real BSMD? Read in some previous posts that a student needs to clear lots of requirements before they let you into COM and hence might not classify as true BSMD.

Please do not get hung up on the definition of a true or fake bsmd.
D just got into LKSOM as a Temple Health Scholar in the junior year. It did not feel like a fake bsmd to her. Yes, you need a GPA >= 3.6 during first three years of UG and no grade lower than B- in any UG class. As well as get a minimum MCAT score with minimums for each section. The MCAT score requirements are below the average matriculant’s score via regular route MD. There is an interview with LKSOM during the junior year and you have to take CASPer test. D has a full-tuition scholarship for UG. D has a 4.0 GPA until now with double majors in Computer Science and Neuroscience (Cellular and Molecular Biology).

As far as interview with LKSOM goes, it is on the same day and with same interviewers who interview regular route MD applicants.
If you can not pass an interview, how will you communicate with your patients as a MD.
If one is scared of MCAT test, then you are getting into a wrong profession, please think twice. These kind of tests will continue during your whole professional life. There is no escape from tests as a MD.

Good to know that your child is in Temple program and has been accepted into LKSOM. Congrats. It really helps when someone who is in the program provides the details. To me personally, it just boils down to how many hoops a students has to cross. And finally it comes down to individual comfort level. There is no right or wrong way to put it. Other day I was going through details of programs at FSU and USF and their requirements seemed even more lengthy. I guess it is good to have as much as details possible about a program as it might help a student (along with other factors) decide if they end up getting multiple acceptances.
Since your child is in the program, may I ask if you know how many students are taken each year? and stats on do all finally make it to LKSOM?

@rara-avis @rk1235rk and others in this cycle

Yes, juniors got dealt with a “bad” hand - the COVID19 pandemic.

Yes, most in-person opportunities are gone.

So, while it is frustrating and feels like the entire world conspired against you, remember practically all are in the same boat.

It is important to maintain focus on tasks at hand - focus on things you can control and try your best not to worry about things outside your control.

Take a step back and write down what tasks need to be completed and start planning/ executing them.
Be resourceful. Think of workarounds.

The current batch has 4 students. Ask them for the data how many Temple Health Scholars matriculate to LKSOM.

@rara_avis

My son’s testing plan looks like this:

1. August 29: SAT
  2. Sept our school offers a free in school SAT so he will take it and hope for a good superscore if needed
  3. Oct 3- SAT subject tests Math II and Chem and maybe Bio (3 is a lot but time crunch);

He has a super score of a 33 on his ACT and we may look at his retaking two sections- Math and science again since he scored well below his capabilities there. ACT was supposed to move to single section testing in Sept so he wouldn’t need to redo the whole thing. Though some of the schools don’t allow for a superscore so that’s still an ongoing discussion with the kid.

It’s a weird situation going into all this. Good luck to your kid!

@NoviceDad

So he needs to look at each school application individually? It’s not a consortium type application?

Won’t it be better to spend time and energy on programs with higher chances of getting into?

Forgot to mention, one of them took gap year, got MPH and went out of state med school (not any fancied one). The other one (with a close to 525 MCAT and a great GPA) didn’t get anywhere applied in first round and is pursuing Master’s.
And a third one, with not so high credentials as the above two, but from a more reputed undergrad UT Austin, decided to go out of state for DO without taking any gap years.

Just to give a glimpse of unpredictability of banking on some cheap med schools in TX.

Yes, Apply via traditional route and you have nearly 41% chance of getting into one medical school. As per data below 21869 matriculants from 53371 applicants ( average 17 applications to medical schools per applicant).
https://www.aamc.org/system/files/2019-11/2019_FACTS_Table_A-1.pdf

Rather than relying on a sample of 3, here is more authentic data from AAMC
https://www.aamc.org/system/files/2019-11/2019_FACTS_Table_A-1.pdf
You can do you own calculations for all medical schools in TX or for any state.
My calculations come to approximately 87.3% Instate and 12.7% Out of State for Texas medical school. Anecdotes are not facts.

As per previous post from @NoviceDad, for an ORM( do not know whether your C is an ORM or not), ACT 34 or up/ SAT 1540 or more is competitive for bsmd programs. Most bsmd programs may not do Superscoring.

Texas medical schools by STATE LAW have to take 90% of their matriculating students from instate residents.

Texas also does not follow AMCAS - you have to apply via TMDSAS.

Yes, each undergrad is a separate application.

And there have been cases where 1 undergrad has forwarded your application to NJMS but another undergrad has rejected you.

@mom2boys1999

Most, if not all, BS/MD programs do NOT superscore.